PDA

View Full Version : Toys for a 9 month old that would allow him to pull himself up

new_mom_mry
08-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Our 9.5 month DS is army crawling everywhere and LOVES walking with support--last night he even managed to go up two flights of stairs in our house, so he can bear weight on his legs exceptionally well. I came to realize though, that the furniture objects in our house and his current stash of toys do not give him opportunities to strengthen his upper body and learn how to pull himself up. We do have a baby jail (two interconnected superyards), but they aren't useful for this purpose. He has a RF Walker Wagon, which has a nice handle bar, but it's also not useful for this purpose. Our couch and arm chairs in the living room are too tall for him to grab on to and we don't have a coffee table...do other mamas have ideas/suggestions for either specific toys or just ways to provide opportunities for DS to pull himself up? TIA!

Bootsie
08-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Does he already have the Leap Frog Learn and Groove table?

My LOs also love their vtech walker: http://www.amazon.com/VTech-80-077000-Vtech-Sit-to-Stand-Learning/dp/B000NZQ010 and this sort of motorcycle (they sometimes sit on it, but they also like to hold on to it and stand while pushing the buttons on the console): http://www.amazon.com/VTech-80-070500-Tech-Smart-Wheels/dp/B000G6TUSG/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1314198306&sr=1-1

We also have a Lil Playzone play yard and the posts and handles on it have permitted and encouraged my LOs to practice pulling up and cruising.

new_mom_mry
08-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Yes, we have the LF Table, but for some reason it's not really useful for this purpose. Thanks for your recommendations! My nanny also recommended this toy, so I might give it a chance too!

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Baby-Cruise-Around-Activity-Lion/dp/B00386UK4E

brittone2
08-24-2011, 02:24 PM
If the couch or chairs have removable cushions, try taking them off. It is a lower surface to use for pulling to stand and they can support their upper body a bit to cruise (when they first start cruising they tend to lean their whole upper body to balance in order to step sideways. As they progress w/ cruising they eventually just rely on their hands for balance).

When I was working in EI I did this regularly with the kids I worked with.

new_mom_mry
08-24-2011, 02:49 PM
If the couch or chairs have removable cushions, try taking them off. It is a lower surface to use for pulling to stand and they can support their upper body a bit to cruise (when they first start cruising they tend to lean their whole upper body to balance in order to step sideways. As they progress w/ cruising they eventually just rely on their hands for balance).

When I was working in EI I did this regularly with the kids I worked with.

good idea! they are not removable in the living room, but are removable in the office.

citymama
08-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Get him a Zany Zoo! I wish I'd gotten one for DD2.

Pinky
08-25-2011, 03:38 PM
I wish we had purchased our FP Laugh and Learn Home early enough for our DD to use when she was learning to pull up. It's an awesome toy and comes highly recommended here.

I also second removing the couch cushions. She used those to climb over too!

lowrioh
08-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Get him a Zany Zoo! I wish I'd gotten one for DD2.
We have a Zany Zoo and it is great. I just wanted to caution you that they can tip over when the babies pull up. DD1 pulled it right over one of the first times she tried to pull up on it. It isn't a big deal since it isn't heavy or a long way down but it might give you a fright.

new_mom_mry
08-26-2011, 04:49 PM
thanks everyone...we have the FP Learning Home, and DS loves it, but he hasn't really been using it to pull himself up :( I suppose he could grab on to the door, but it might be a little too low for this purpose. Yesterday, I saw him trying to pull up by holding on to one of the dresser drawers that he opened...not very safe at all, but it was cute to watch :) This is probably a question that belongs on the safety boards, but given how much kiddos love opening and closing drawers when they are learning how to crawl, I wonder what's the best way to keep their little fingers safe (is there a baby proofing device??) or is supervision the only solution here?