PDA

View Full Version : Find me hole big enough for a large woman to assume the fetal position...

ha98ed14
08-23-2011, 10:39 PM
and then rock back and forth.

DH went back to work and I am alone with the small child AND for the next. three. weeks. there is nothing. Nuh thing!!! No library story hour; no Mommy & Me; no Dance. None of our usual routine building activities start until the 3rd week of September.

Where is the rocking-like-you-are-experiencing-xanex-withdrawal smilie?!?

Aaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

bisous
08-23-2011, 10:43 PM
You're in So Cal, right? I could give you a really long list of free stuff to do... Do you like being out and about with DD?

Free museums, cultural events, malls, etc. I specialize in these things, being forever on a budget with busy little boys!

niccig
08-23-2011, 10:55 PM
You're in So Cal, right? I could give you a really long list of free stuff to do... Do you like being out and about with DD?

Free museums, cultural events, malls, etc. I specialize in these things, being forever on a budget with busy little boys!

Yep...get out of the fetal position and google things to do. I did that when had DS for 2 weeks without anything. I figured out things we could do every other day so got out of the house. Is your DD into playing at the park? I used to take DS there and there were always other kids to run around with for the days we were at home.

ha98ed14
08-23-2011, 11:03 PM
I used to take DS there and there were always other kids to run around with for the days we were at home.

See, but that involves getting out of the fetal position... ;)

I did go out yesterday. To buy grass seed and baby wipes. I even took her to Michaels so she could pick out some craft supplies for the next few weeks. She complained the whole time. Too hot. Too tired. Not fun. OMG. Are you serious? Who told you that you get to have so many opinions on things... And of course by the end of today, the craft supplies were all used up. I stayed home today thinking if we were home and not dragging her around, maybe she would not complain as much. Um. no. Same complaining.

Bisous- I would be very, very grateful for any assistance you can lend. I'm in north OC.

StantonHyde
08-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Here's the deal--they whine no.matter.what. So I figure I might as well drag them to do something I like and something that will make them tired so they go to sleep!! And, lo and behold, they end up liking the stuff I take them to!! Seriously, DS will whine the ENTIRE time we are enroute to something. I stopped giving him a heads up on stuff years ago because it just meant he had more time to whine about it. And this is for stuff like going to the zoo, childrens museum etc. Fun stuff. So I just shove them in the car, turn up the radio, and drive.

Within 20 minutes or so, they are reasonably happy. And they never want to leave after we have been there a while--success!! So go, just go.

And, yes, children have lots of opinions. lots and lots and lots. We encourage them to be verbal. We want them to talk. That means they get to say what they think. If you have a glass half empty kid like DS, then I get a lot of complaining. I do lay down the law on whining--stop whining at me, if you whine again, you won't get a treat or go to X (and I follow through). So they will stop that crap. But they still say what they are thinking.

The more I am out, the more likely it is that I can chat with another mom or they see other kids etc. Anything is better than staying home all day IMO. And then I hit the sauce in the evening :p

bisous
08-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Is your DD an early riser? If so, morning walks are a nice daily tradition. Does your DD nap? If so, go the places listed below in the morning. Come home to lunch (or eat it while out), come home for nap. Do a short "movie" (if you do TV) with DD afterward. Have a little snack. Do a craft or game--you pick or follow her lead. By that time, it should be almost dinner and DH will be home!

Here's a chart showing free museums and attractions in the LA area. We do these things a lot and the kids love them. Some will obviously be further than others from you.

http://discoverlosangeles.com/play/arts-music-and-entertainment/museums/freeartmuseumspdf.pdf

Hope that worked. If not google, "free museums in LA"!

There's always the beach. You could have a "Monday Beach Day" for example. If you have a friend in a similar situation, you could kill two mornings with an "exchange". I often find that two little kids are easier to watch than one (at least in the course of one morning--they entertain each other). Barnes and Noble often has story times that last through the seasons, unlike many of the local libraries! My mom used to do a "park of the week". They could be really boring parks but if we went to a new one each week, it was super fun.

I hope this gets you started! I find that if I have a rhythm and a list of things to do, the day moves much, much quicker!

GL!

Jen

niccig
08-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Here's the deal--they whine no.matter.what. So I figure I might as well drag them to do something I like and something that will make them tired so they go to sleep!!

The more I am out, the more likely it is that I can chat with another mom or they see other kids etc. Anything is better than staying home all day IMO. And then I hit the sauce in the evening :p

I agree with all of this. Even at 6yo DS will whine.

I also put him in the car and turn up the radio. I do find the day goes more quickly if we've got something planned...so try to plan out your days with a few things to help it go by more quickly...

niccig
08-24-2011, 01:22 AM
See, but that involves getting out of the fetal position... ;)

You can do it..be proactive and come up with a list of things. I liked the Summer Bingo idea that others developed and I might do something like that for next summer.

Here's a website and search in the lounge for more ideas. Even if you don't do bingo, you could work out a list of things to do.

http://threesidedwheel.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/kids-summer-bingo-how-to-beat-out-the-boredom-printable/

blondflava
08-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Wow, really? And I actually thought they get easier to entertain as they get older LOL! But I agree, get her out of the house. I can take DD whining being out and about, at home - not so much.

PunkyBoo
08-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Check out the Long Beach Nature Center! It's nice and shady and you can go for a nice walk and let DC run free. It's $5 to park during the week (closed Mondays). I'm all about free or cheap these days, with 2 more weeks before Punkin returns to school. We loved our Nature Center morning last week (and actually the parking guard wasn't in the booth so we parked for free.) My kids actually walked the 1/4 mile AND the 1 mile trails with few to no complaints, but lots of excitement seeing all the squirrels, lizards, bunnies, etc. And it's shady in there so stays relatively cool.

Have you been to the Santa Ana Zoo? That's fun for a day and not too much $$. How about Disc. Science Center? Prehistoric Pets? (Granted I have boys, so maybe your DD wouldn't like those things...) Walk around Fashion Island (do they still have splash pads and little rides? I haven't been there in a long time...)

zag95
08-24-2011, 06:58 PM
I'd do some of the similar things that you do:

Go to the library- and get books
Pool time- go with your DD
Take her on errands with you- grocery store, whatever
Is there a play area at the mall?? Do some mall walking and go to the play area.
Bookstores- they may have a story hour.

Try to get out of the fetal position! ;)

karstmama
08-24-2011, 09:03 PM
as long as you're curled up like that, give yourself a pedi...

:D ;)

kellyd
08-26-2011, 10:09 PM
I feel your pain! DH is a teacher and went back on Wednesday. I'm too chicken to take 2 1 year olds and a 3 year old out of the house by myself and have jokingly told people I need welfare checks arranged for mommy cause I was going to be curled up in a corner banging my head off the wall... well we're 3 days into the school year and YUP that's how I feel! LOL

jenfromnj
08-26-2011, 11:59 PM
I agree with everyone who said that getting out of the house almost always helps! Even if it's just for a walk or to story hour at the library.

And can I just say that I'm so jealous of those of you whose husbands were home with them for the summer! We're in a bad phase here b/c DH has been super busy at work and getting home at 10pm or later (after leaving the house at 6am), so I can't even imagine having him around f/t for a month or 2!