PDA

View Full Version : American Girl Dolls

DietCokeLover
08-24-2011, 03:08 PM
How old was your DD when you bought her an American Girl doll? And do you think that was the appropriate age?

momof2girls
08-24-2011, 03:48 PM
DD#1 was about 6. She didn't really get into really playing with them until she was 7 and her friends started bring theirs over. DD#2 was 4 and NEVER got into it. That was a total waste of $$!

ladysoapmaker
08-24-2011, 03:50 PM
I got DD#1 a just like you AG doll at age 7.

I think it really depends on how well you child treats other dolls and toys. If they treat them nice and don't take scissors to them or write on them and such then a little younger then the guidelines but if they are hard on their toys, I say wait a little bit.

Jen

brittone2
08-24-2011, 04:18 PM
My DD is your DD's age and has had a Gotz 18 inch precious day doll for over a year now (very similar in size to the AG dolls). I got her through a co-op for about $30 and we used her when DD started sleeping in her own room. Tuesday Morning was selling them for around that price at the time as well. It was early to give it to her, but she was really into dolls already and really wanted a doll with hair.

She has taken great care of her. I help brush the doll's hair when it gets really bad, but otherwise DD manages just fine.

That was waaay early and I wouldn't have spent $100 at that point.

MIL just gave DD a bitty baby (found 2nd hand somewhere) and DD loves it to pieces.

I am considering an AG doll for DD's 5th bday but may hold off. We don't live super close to an AG store, but may be traveling w/ DH on business close to DD's 5th bday. If that's the case, maybe I'll steer her more toward bitty baby type stuff. I think she'd take good care of an 18 inch AG doll at this point though and I am considering it.

In my mind, I think doing it around age 6-7 would be more special, so I'm kind of torn.

Moneypenny
08-24-2011, 04:31 PM
DD got hers when she was 5 (her aunts and uncles bought it for her). I did make sure to steer them to a short-haired one. That was a good age for DD to get one because she was really into the books already.

DD has taken very good care of it and has since saved up her money to buy herself two more. I do give the long haired one (Kanani) a good brushing once a while since she has very unmanageable hair. She plays with them all frequently.

Twoboos
08-24-2011, 04:32 PM
DDs bought their own with Christmas money early this year. They were 5 and 7. They are both REALLY into them now. (Before this they had the Madame Alexander WalMart knockoffs.) And they both want another one!

AnnieW625
08-24-2011, 04:50 PM
I got DD1 a single Bitty Twin doll that looks like her because she likes the bigger dolls in the catalog we get. I got her one that looks like her, and bought glasses and everything. The doll doesn't get played with that much. DD1 has also told me that she wanted a doll with blond hair. I am sure that the doll will eventually get played with more. Right now she spends most of the time sleeping in the box she came in. I will most likely let her get a regular sized American Girl doll when she is 7 or 8.

I am thinking about getting DD2 either a Bitty Baby or a Baby Calin doll for Christmas this year.

KrisM
08-24-2011, 07:01 PM
She just one last month and is 5. She loves it and does a good job of taking care of it.

Neatfreak
08-24-2011, 07:35 PM
DD1 was 6.5, and she's taken good care Of it thus far. She usually asks me to style the hair, which is fine. She's able to manipulate the clothes and such herself, so I don't think that she's too young for the doll, but it's only been over the summer that she's been able to read the books independently.

ellies mom
08-24-2011, 07:56 PM
DD1 is old enough for an 18" AG doll now but when DD2 gets one depends on when and how DD1 gets hers. Right now DD2 is really young.

DD1 says she wants one but she has typically chosen something else when push comes to shove and recently I got annoyed with the struggle to get them to keep their toys/playroom picked up so I've kind of put off purchasing the doll. DD2 is way more into dolls than DD1 so I think a certain amount of her co-opting DD1's doll is inevitable. I can see a bit of drama ensuing, especially if we get the doll at the new Seattle store as planned.

After much hand wringing and over thinking things, I've decided that if we order DD1 a doll, it will be with the expectation that she share it with her sister (she is very open to this). If we go to the store to purchase the doll, both girls will get their own 18" dolls (DD2 already has a bitty twin so we can't really use one to distract her). And if I never buy DD1 a doll, then DD2 will probably get hers when she is 5ish. She is very good with the Calin and Bitty Twin that she has now. If she was less into dolls, I would probably make her wait until she was older. But I know she would be so heartbroken if DD1 got a doll at the store and she didn't, especially considering she will play with the doll so much more than DD1.

traciann
08-24-2011, 08:56 PM
DD1 got her JLY doll when she turned 6 this year. She has loved her biity baby for 3 years and I think she was ready for the older doll. She started asking when she was 5 but I told her she would have to wait until she was 6 since it was such an expensive doll. She loves her and wants Kanani for Christmas now, so her JLY doll can have a friend.

I really think the age depends on the child and how much into dolls they are.

Melaine
08-25-2011, 07:51 AM
We bought the girls Bitty Twins just before they turned 3. It was totally unplanned as we were on vacation and stumbled across the AG store. I could not resist buying them, because I LOVE AG, have since I was a little girl and going to the store was like a dream come true for me! They have taken good care of them and I think the hair on the Bitty Twins is great, very easy to care for. The dolls still look like new and it has been almost 2 years. They don't get TONS of play, but they do get consistently played with. I never would have ordered the BTs at their age, but going to the store was so much fun I'm glad we did it. If we go again I would just get them an outfit or something and maybe at 6 or 7 start thinking about getting a historical doll. I have two Samanthas saved for them, but those are special to me so I will wait until they are really ready.

scriptkitten
08-25-2011, 07:57 AM
i'm thinking of getting a bitty baby for my DD when she turns 3 in october. she loves baby dolls. is this a good idea and a good doll to start with?

she has so many sort of ugly babies that other people have given her and i would rather see a prettier one laying around the house for a change :)

she has a corolle tidoo but her brother has "adopted it" so now its kind of his

elephantmeg
09-02-2011, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=scriptkitten;3242683]i'm thinking of getting a bitty baby for my DD when she turns 3 in october. she loves baby dolls. is this a good idea and a good doll to start with?

she has so many sort of ugly babies that other people have given her and i would rather see a prettier one laying around the house for a change :)

she has a corolle tidoo but her brother has "adopted it" so now its kind of his[/QUOTE

Amy (our bitty baby) is well loved here and still looks great. Of course the other favorite one is the $2 yard sale baby "bella", lol. But Amy is a great size for a 3 y.o. It was a little too big for her at 2 when we got her (we were in Chicago and I wanted her to pick it out) but is perfect now! I would love her to get a bitty twin, but she wants another bitty baby to play with Amy. Oh, and I LOVE the pattern on the bitty baby clothes etc now! I wish we had the new set!

calv
09-02-2011, 02:09 PM
just picked up Marie-Grace. She's GORGEOUS!!!

bubbaray
09-02-2011, 02:14 PM
My girls have the Bitty Twins. DD#1 desperately wants an AG doll, but I'm waiting until she turns 8.