PDA

View Full Version : non toxic blackout curtains?

Reader
08-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Does such a thing exist? If so, where? Thanks!

BabbyO
09-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I can't say if they are non-toxic and they aren't blackout curtains...but DH and I have had really good luck with aluminum blinds in DS' room. They block out quite a bit of light even in the middle of the day. I have just a simple cotton gingham curtains over the blinds and we have to turn the light on in DS' room in the middle of the day if the blinds are closed.

I would imagine they are less toxic than plastic blinds...but I'm really not up on my curtain/blind toxicity.

We got them from Menards or Home Depot.

BayGirl2
09-07-2011, 08:39 PM
We have roller shades that are black out. They have a breakaway plastic cord that's attached tightly to the wall. Not sure if the material is truly non-toxic, but it seems very benign to me, and has no smell. They are made to fit perfectly so there's no gaps on the side for light to get through.

I always find a lot of good info and selection on blinds.com. We did our whole house through them.

adamlau
09-19-2011, 04:44 AM
[Double post...]

adamlau
09-19-2011, 06:36 AM
Exterior bamboo slat blinds (various vendors/manufacturers), V-KOOL (high-end offering) tint on the windows and Rawganique hemp roman shades in the interior. About as eco-friendly as it gets with zero interior off-gassing. Else, consider natural wood blinds with bliders along the top, bottom and sides. Retractable metal security screens (expensive) will do the job as well.

daisymommy
09-19-2011, 04:46 PM
IKEA sells blackout shades (and all their products are PVC, pthalate, etc. free).
My kids have blackout curtains from Target that have a non-toxic backing on them as well. They aren't 100% light-proof, but they do work very well.