PDA

View Full Version : Seeing Spots?

indigo99
08-24-2011, 06:07 PM
I just had an apt yesterday with nothing to report (normal blood pressure and uring and fetal heartrate although I did gain almost 5lb in the past 2 weeks). Today I went had a haircut followed by lunch at Panera so I had just been resting, eating, and drinking. Then I was at Joanns and started seeing spots. I didn't feel especially faint, but it was to the point that I couldn't read the packages in front of me so I left and came home.

Anyone experience this? I don't think that I was dehydrated, and it's not like I just got it from getting up too fast. It lasted at least 5-10 minutes probably.

BayGirl2
08-24-2011, 07:00 PM
I would call your Dr. Last pregnancy when I had high BP seeing spots was a symptom I needed to look out for. I believe its a precursor to preeclampsya. I'm not saying that it means you have that, but since it could be associated its better to be safe than sorry. It sounds like you don't have other symptoms though, so probably just worth a call or email to the Dr. to be sure.

RNJill
08-24-2011, 07:32 PM
I am an OB nurse. If you gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks and are seeing spots, you need to all your OB immediately and let them know these symptoms.

wimama
08-24-2011, 09:16 PM
I am an OB nurse. If you gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks and are seeing spots, you need to all your OB immediately and let them know these symptoms.

Yes, please call your OB. Seeing spots or blurry vision can be a sign of preeclampsia.

daisymommy
08-24-2011, 09:37 PM
I hope you feel better soon OP.

On a side note, RNJill, glad to have you around! Welcome!

swissair81
08-24-2011, 10:20 PM

:yeahthat: Word for word.

amldaley
08-25-2011, 07:41 PM

You are an OB nurse? Well....be prepared to be SWAMPED with questions! Welcome to the Board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

indigo99
08-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Hmm. OK then. I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow. I felt OK today though. Does your bp go up and down with preeclampsia because mine was normal at my apt on Tuesday, and my urine was negative for proteins.

waitingforgrace
08-25-2011, 10:10 PM
I actually had that symptom last pg and it ended up being an inner ear infection. I had no idea, had never had one before and it was really the only symptom. Definitely call your dr, just wanted to throw out another possibility.

SnuggleBuggles
08-25-2011, 10:22 PM
How are your iron levels? Any chance you could be anemic? I know at the end of pregnancy it is silly to ask if you have been more tired than usual but it's a symptom.

Here's a list of pre-eclampsia symptoms:
n addition to swelling, protein in the urine, and high blood pressure, symptoms of preeclampsia can include:

Rapid weight gain caused by a significant increase in bodily fluid
Abdominal pain
Severe headaches
A change in reflexes
Reduced output of urine or no urine
Dizziness
Excessive vomiting and nausea

http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/preeclampsia-eclampsia

Beth

indigo99
08-25-2011, 10:35 PM
I've felt VERY weak since last week and get lightheaded just being on my feet for a few minutes sometimes. I also started feeling nauseated again and my appetite dropped, but those symptoms started when the baby dropped. Maybe he's just affecting my circulation. I haven't had blood work done in months, and I have no idea about my iron.

I just sent a message online to my ob nurse so we'll see what they say.

MSWR0319
08-26-2011, 03:12 PM
I just thought of this when you said the baby dropped. Maybe it's sitting on a nerve or blood vessels? I have a friend who was not allowed to drive the last three months of her pregnancy because the baby was sitting on a major vessel and it would cause her to pass out cold with no notice because it would cut off circulation.

indigo99
08-26-2011, 04:35 PM
I just thought of this when you said the baby dropped. Maybe it's sitting on a nerve or blood vessels? I have a friend who was not allowed to drive the last three months of her pregnancy because the baby was sitting on a major vessel and it would cause her to pass out cold with no notice because it would cut off circulation.

Ugh! I hope that isn't it.

My bp was great today (106/60), and my cervix is completely closed (not that I was worried about that). They did blood work just to check everything, but they seem to think it's probably insulin resistance. I had several refills of fruit punch at lunch just prior to the spots episode. I drink only water at home, but I have suspected some sugar issues before and was shocked when I passed my one hour glucose this pregnancy. I haven't been having a lot of refined sugar, but I probably do have more carbs than I should. I've also cut back some on meat since it gives me such bad reflux and heartburn, and they want me to be sure that I eat protein whenever I'm eating carbs so... I'll try to make some changes and hopefully that will make me feel better.

Singlemom
08-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Have you ever had a migraine? I typically see an "aura" right before I get a migraine. It is kind of like freaky disco ball spots in the corners of my eyes..and I can't see letters on a piece of paper or computer screen when this happens. If I immediately relax and take a quick nap, I can usually get rid of it. But sometimes it wins. BOO!

indigo99
08-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Have you ever had a migraine? I typically see an "aura" right before I get a migraine. It is kind of like freaky disco ball spots in the corners of my eyes..and I can't see letters on a piece of paper or computer screen when this happens. If I immediately relax and take a quick nap, I can usually get rid of it. But sometimes it wins. BOO!

I have regular hormone-related migraines all the time EXCEPT when pregnant, and I have never had the vision problems with them. My husband has that, but his actual headache never lasts as long as mine does either.

BabyBearsMom
08-29-2011, 09:47 AM
I just had an apt yesterday with nothing to report (normal blood pressure and uring and fetal heartrate although I did gain almost 5lb in the past 2 weeks). Today I went had a haircut followed by lunch at Panera so I had just been resting, eating, and drinking. Then I was at Joanns and started seeing spots. I didn't feel especially faint, but it was to the point that I couldn't read the packages in front of me so I left and came home.

Anyone experience this? I don't think that I was dehydrated, and it's not like I just got it from getting up too fast. It lasted at least 5-10 minutes probably.

This happened to me. I had perfectly normal blood pressure no issues with weight gain etc, I would just periodically see spots before my eyes to the point that it was semi-blinding and they would last for 10 to 15 minutes. Usually if I rested and drank some juice they went away. I talked to my OB about it and they sent me for some extra tests and everything came up normal. They suspect it is from the extra blood flow in my body during pregnancy. It went away after I had DD.

indigo99
09-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Just to follow up, they did have me start taking a B complex vitamin and an iron supplement after getting my blood work back. I'm not sure exactly how low I was on those, but they thought it would help apparently. So far I haven't had any more episodes, but I do tend to think that it probably had something to do with my sugar/insulin levels.