PDA

View Full Version : What do you like to cook on the grill?

artvandalay
08-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Besides hamburgers, hotdogs, steak and chicken? I need some ideas.

Also do you have any recipes for vegetables - how you prepare/what or if you marinate them with and how you grill them, I'd really appreciate it!

I don't know why I don't use the grill more often, but I really should!

sweet_pea
08-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Some of the things we've grilled recently: pork tenderloin, shrimp skewers, portobello mushrooms, foil packets of fish topped with veggies, balsamic-marinated red onions.

ETA: Haven't tried grilling fruit yet, but pineapple and peaches are on my list to try.

elbenn
08-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Pizzas are great on the grill. Also, I do chicken kebabs that are like chicken sate' that you get in restaurants. For the chicken sate', marinate chicken breast pieces in a marinade of equal parts olive oil and honey (about 1 cup of each) and a bunch of curry powder (like maybe 4 tablespoons or so). Then put the chicken on skewers and grill (you can add onions or peppers to the kebabs). It's good on its own, or on a sandwich with naan or pita bread, or cold the next day!

froggert
08-26-2011, 08:03 AM
we've been grilling a lot of zucchini and yellow squash lately. cut in half lengthwise, salt, pepper and olive oil. 4-6 minutes on direct medium heat, turning once.

Twoboos
08-26-2011, 08:20 AM
We have a grill-wok that we use for veggies. Chop 'em up, Evoo, salt, pepper, grill, stir around a couple of times. Lots of Zucchini, green peppers and onion lately.

I *LOVE* veggies done on the grill.

elbenn
08-26-2011, 08:36 AM
If you're in the market for a grill wok as PP mentioned, Williams Sonoma has a good sale on one: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/steel-grill-saute-pan/?pkey=cview-all-sale

weech
08-26-2011, 09:43 AM
We make 80% of our food on the grill in the summer. My favorites are veggie medleys with EVOO, garlic, salt and pepper, or with teriyaki sauce, grilled pineapple, yogurt-marinated chicken (with cumin, turmeric, garlic, etc), and any kind of grilled fish. Now I'm hungry! :D

artvandalay
08-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Great ideas guys! I have never heard of a grill wok... very interesting! I think I will get one. Thank you for the link :)

I did have a grill basket on my christmas wishlist, but no one got me one. What is the advantage of using a grill wok vs. a grill basket?

I really need to cook more vegetables... the only time I have ever done veggies on the grill is when I have made shishkabobs and I think I just brushed some sort of honey bbq marinade on them? I don't remember. I rarely make them because DH doesn't like them and my kids are such picky eaters.

I'm hoping if I can start making different/flavorful veggies perhaps I can get my family to eat more of them.

Dumb question, but the grill wok would work on a gas grill, right? I mean, that wouldn't make a difference, right?

BabyBearsMom
08-26-2011, 10:33 AM
We grill a lot of fish and DH made AWESOME pork chops on the grill last night. He used Stubb's pork marinade...freaking amazing. I have had grilled turky breast before too, very good. I cut up veggies and put them in aluminum foil that I spray with pam. I season them with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, and sometimes some lemon juice. DH grills them until tender. Yummy!

weech
08-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Great ideas guys! I have never heard of a grill wok... very interesting! I think I will get one. Thank you for the link :)

I did have a grill basket on my christmas wishlist, but no one got me one. What is the advantage of using a grill wok vs. a grill basket?

I really need to cook more vegetables... the only time I have ever done veggies on the grill is when I have made shishkabobs and I think I just brushed some sort of honey bbq marinade on them? I don't remember. I rarely make them because DH doesn't like them and my kids are such picky eaters.

I'm hoping if I can start making different/flavorful veggies perhaps I can get my family to eat more of them.

Dumb question, but the grill wok would work on a gas grill, right? I mean, that wouldn't make a difference, right?

We use a grill pan/wok (a wok with holes in it) that I bought cheap from TJMaxx or Marshalls and we have a gas grill. It works REALLY well.

artvandalay
08-26-2011, 10:44 AM
We grill a lot of fish and DH made AWESOME pork chops on the grill last night. He used Stubb's pork marinade...freaking amazing. I have had grilled turky breast before too, very good. I cut up veggies and put them in aluminum foil that I spray with pam. I season them with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, and sometimes some lemon juice. DH grills them until tender. Yummy!

So when you make fish, do you use a tin foil packet? I bought a cedar plank years ago, it's supposed to be for grilling fish, and we never used it!

ijopint
08-26-2011, 11:24 AM
We do grill a lot of seafood-whole fish, shrimp, squid. I only used the cedar plank if grilling salmon steak. DH just put the whole fish on the grill. Drizzle the fish with EVO, salt /pepper or I would stuffed the whole tilapia in the stomach area with tomatoes,onions,ginger and scallions and sealed it a bamboo skewer or toothpick. Make sure the grill is hot so the fish is perfectly cook with grill marks but not burned . I also used the wok basket for vegetables like zucchini, cherry tomatoes, red onions,red peppers or eggplant -so good if the red onions is caramelized in the grill!
this grilling idea makes me want grill tonight! ;)

hellokitty
08-26-2011, 11:26 AM
We LOVE our grill. DH is the only person I know who will shovel through the snow to get to our grill in the winter, lol. I'm sure our neighbors think we are nuts.

We grill...

Salmon- Do a quick soy sauce, toasted sesame oil marinade on the salmon with some fresh ground pepper, my DH uses a cast iron griddle for this.

Chicken- pieces that are dry rubbed overnight or for at least a few hrs, and then grilled and then DH glazes them with some KC Masterpiece at the very end, we also like to grill chicken satay on the grill, my kids LOVE anything on a stick.

Steak- just regular steaks or we will sometimes do fajitas too.

Pork tenderloin- If you want BBQ flavor, follow the chicken directions I posted above. If you want something more simple, I do a salt/pepper/italian seasoning rub too.

Veggies...

ANYTHING! We don't chop them up really small. We will cut into bigger slices (ie: zuchinni cut in half lengthwise or eggplant cut into large disks), brush with olive oil and salt/pepper on both sides. That's it.

Be creative. The great thing about grilling out is that it is NOT fussy. Keep it simple and it will turn out fantastic. Generally speaking our main seasonings for grilling are salt, sometimes some italian seasoning (I have a sams club container of this, b/c it is so handy for a lot of recipes in general), fresh ground pepper, soy sauce/TOASTED sesame oil combo (for a marinade), a good BBQ dry rub (we like the weber brand) partnered with your favorite BBQ sauce to be glazed at the very end.

Oh, and you didn't ask for this, but I make an astoundingly easy tomato salad that we often make when we grill out. Just cut up tomatoes of choice, season with fresh ground pepper, course salt and generous drizzle of TOASTED (dark) sesame oil, and chopped cilantro (if you like cilantro). It is fantastic and ppl love it and always ask for the recipe. Another version is salt/pepper/olive oil/fresh basil.

fauve01
08-29-2011, 08:12 PM
my fav thing is grilled romaine! seriously delicious. :heartbeat:

get romaine hearts and slice in half length-wise, keeping the root attached so the lettuce stays together.

wash lettuce (with root attached), dry well.

drizzle both sides with olive oil. sprinkle with salt, black pepper, garlic.

grill a couple minutes on both sides, just til it wilts slightly and gets grill marks.

serve! DH likes it right off the grill. i like to add balsamic and parmesean. YUM

ETA link (i haven't tried it with bacon--yum!)
http://health.discovery.com/fansites/sam-zien/recipes/romaine.html

mjs64
08-31-2011, 01:47 AM
Love Mark Bittman's (NYT food columnist) 101 Fast Recipes for Grilling.

He has standbys and new ideas, and all are easy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/30/dining/30mini.html

hellokitty
08-31-2011, 09:00 AM

get romaine hearts and slice in half length-wise, keeping the root attached so the lettuce stays together.

grill a couple minutes on both sides, just til it wilts slightly and gets grill marks.

serve! DH likes it right off the grill. i like to add balsamic and parmesean. YUM

That sounds sooo good! I'm going to try it!

artvandalay
08-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Grilled Romaine! What a great idea!

Thanks guys for all these great ideas... the other day I split zucchini and squash down the middle, just used EVOO and salt and grilled those up, they were great. I also threw down some Market Day teryaki chicken breasts, but DH wasn't a fan. I thought they were on the salty side, too. Think I'll just stick to bbq for the chicken.

Fish is next on my list to try.

artvandalay
08-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Love Mark Bittman's (NYT food columnist) 101 Fast Recipes for Grilling.

He has standbys and new ideas, and all are easy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/30/dining/30mini.html

Excellent! This will be perfect.... so many ideas. Wow, is that a grapefuit on the grill? And I scrolled down (haven't read the entire article yet) and he grills avocado? Interesting. My DD is obsessed with avocado.

Thanks everyone:bowdown:

fauve01
08-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Excellent! This will be perfect.... so many ideas. Wow, is that a grapefuit on the grill? And I scrolled down (haven't read the entire article yet) and he grills avocado? Interesting. My DD is obsessed with avocado.

Thanks everyone:bowdown:

i don't know if you have the food channel, but check out Bobby Flay's "Boy Meets Grill" show. he's always grilling interesting stuff, including fruit! he cuts peaches or plums or oranges or whatever is in season in half and throws it on.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/boy-meets-grill/index.html if i liked fruit I'd be eating it ;)

he has cookbooks too--check your library!
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_15?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=boy+meets+grill&sprefix=boy+meets+grill

hellokitty
09-02-2011, 02:19 PM

I just wanted to let you know that we made this last night (with just the balsamic vinegar) and it was fantastic! Thanks for sharing, it's so easy and healthy, it's going into our, "keep" list of recipes.

DrSally
09-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Would love to try the romain, and also peaches, pineapple, etc.

fauve01
09-03-2011, 01:30 PM
I just wanted to let you know that we made this last night (with just the balsamic vinegar) and it was fantastic! Thanks for sharing, it's so easy and healthy, it's going into our, "keep" list of recipes.

I'm so glad you liked it!! When i first heard about "grilled lettuce" i was a disbeliever, but i'm a believer now! it's so so tasty. i eat so much more lettuce now that we make it this way (probably once a week, LOL). anyway, i'm glad it worked for you. :thumbsup:

anne

hellokitty
09-03-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm so glad you liked it!! When i first heard about "grilled lettuce" i was a disbeliever, but i'm a believer now! it's so so tasty. i eat so much more lettuce now that we make it this way (probably once a week, LOL). anyway, i'm glad it worked for you. :thumbsup:

anne

Actually, my mom used to cook lettuce and this reminds me of that, BUT it has kind of that extra nutty flavor from the charred parts that is extra yummy. I just love how easy it is. My DH calls it, "a warm salad," lol.