PDA

View Full Version : My parents are moving...

weech
08-26-2011, 09:20 AM
This is totally stupid. My parents are moving from the house where I spent my teenage years today. I'm headed straight to the new house after work to help unpack.

Did they ever consider that I might be a little emotional about this?! Now when I go to my parent's, it won't be going "home"... it'll just be my parent's.

blah. :gloomy:

BabyBearsMom
08-26-2011, 09:23 AM
That is tough. My parents built the home that I grew up in when they got married. I lived there my entire life. They sold it almost 2 years ago to move down closer to my sister and I. It is weird to think about the house with other people living in it. But, hopefully your parents are moving someplace that will fit their lifestyle better. My parents love their new home and community and couldn't be happier with the move.

WatchingThemGrow
08-26-2011, 09:33 AM
:hug:That happened to DH last month. The guy was so sad to say goodbye to the ONLY house he'd ever known. He really freaked out when he realized that he has to CALL their condo and have them buzz him into their building. It wouldn't even matter if he had a key to their door. He can't get into their building. On the other hand, the new place is really nice and we've dropped off boxes of toys so we can build new memories with them there. Hope you will enjoy helping them get settled and adjust to the move.

lizzywednesday
08-26-2011, 09:54 AM
:hug:

I went through that my first semester at college, though the circumstances were less than desirable. Since then, the house Dad lives in has always been "Dad's house" and not "home."

It hurt especially because of all the family history our house had - my great-grandparents built it as their "summer home" and moved there full-time after my great-grandfather retired.

It's been 15 years, but there's still a little ache every time I think about it.

BabbyO
08-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Crummy. My parents are in the house they lived in when I was in HS and college...but the people who purchased my childhood home from my aunt tore it down 2 years ago. I was in that house from the time I was born until college because when we moved out of state my aunt purchased the house and lived there until I was in college. Additionally, my grandma lived next door.

Those two houses had been in my family for 30+ years and when we were growing up that is where ALL the family get togethers were. Now I can't even drive by and see the house...it is gone!

hellokitty
08-26-2011, 11:09 AM
:hug: I have to laugh though. I have the opposite problem. I WANT my parents to move. Their house is disgusting and I don't have good memories there, so I guess I don't have any emotional attachment, except that I know that if my parents die, their house is going to be a massive PITA to get rid of and clean up. They just need to move to a smaller place and throw out a bunch of junk in the process of moving. Would you consider buying your parents' old house? I know some ppl who have done that.

Uno-Mom
08-26-2011, 12:33 PM
My parents still live in the my childhood home. Sometimes they talk about moving and I think about all the feelings that will stir up for me. It's a split level house and my mom has knee troubles, so I know they will need to move eventually.

weech
08-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks guys! I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble with this... I was feeling a little ridiculous!

I'm on my way over there now and I'm sure it will be great. My mom is disabled and she really needed a one floor house, so it's a really positive thing for them... I just have to get on board. Time to make new memories! :jammin:

boolady
08-26-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm on my way over there now and I'm sure it will be great. My mom is disabled and she really needed a one floor house, so it's a really positive thing for them... I just have to get on board. Time to make new memories! :jammin:

This was also the case for my mom, and they moved to a rancher, and it has been the best thing ever for her. It's also given my dad a lot of peace of mind when he's at work that she's not negotiating stairs and other things that would be better left until she's not home alone. I bet it will be just as great for your parents.