PDA

View Full Version : When to move baby into sibling's room

kaitlyns.mom
08-28-2011, 03:19 PM
We have a 7-month-old DS and a 3 1/2-year-old DD. We live in a 2-bedroom townhouse and DS' crib has been in our bedroom. We are thinking about switching the rooms (they are about the same size but different shapes and the one DD is in currently has the walk-in closet). We have always intended for them to share a room at some point, but didn't know when.

Neither of them is a good sleeper and they both wake at least once at night (DS wakes a few times and I usually just bring him into bed with me; I don't really plan on stopping that since it works for us).

I'm just wondering when we should make the switch. Are there safety considerations to keeping them apart for now? If we switch rooms with DD it would make sense to just keep the crib in there and move her stuff in, and move our stuff into her old room...

ZeeBaby
08-28-2011, 03:51 PM
We moved DD2 in with DD1 when she was 18 mos. I nursed her overnight until about 14 mos and then I took the other 4 mos to help her get adjusted to not nursing and sleeping through the night. Now they are in there together and while there was an adjustment period, they actually sleep better in there together.

I think you should do it when you are ready. The kids will always need time to adjust to each other.

wellyes
08-28-2011, 04:02 PM
We are at 14 months and 3.5 years and the answer is "not yet" for us. I'd love to but he goes to bed earlier, he wakes up 1-2 times per night for teething. And we are SO happy that she sleeps in a bit while he wakes up. It's my only "alone with the baby" time.

I have a small house too so we really feel it! We converted our office (technically a 3rd bedroom) for DD and gave up our formal dining room for the time being. I figure -- they're only little for a while, so do whatever you have to to get by.

traciann
08-28-2011, 04:35 PM
I think it was maybe around 9ish months? It just wasn't working out anymore for her to be in our room. They still share a room now and are almost 3 and 6. I was afraid of them waking each other up...but its been just fine.