PDA

View Full Version : Snow bibs and jackets

Dream
08-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Though its still early I'm looking to get DD1 snow bib and a coat for heavy snow days to play outside. Initially I thought of getting LLBean bibs and jacket but I realized their snow bibs are not adjustable. So now I'm going between Hanna snow bibs and Lands end. Right now HA bibs are cheaper than LE.

Which one do you recommend, LE or HA snow bibs?
Does the coat have to match the snow bibs?
Which outdoor coat would you recommend, between HA and LE?

Thank you.

Kindra178
08-28-2011, 04:56 PM
DS1's LE Bibs look fantastic after his two years of wear and they will be passed down to DS2. They were pretty warm and kept him dry. I am not sure about the warmth of the squall coats.

hbridge
08-28-2011, 05:44 PM
We have actually had a lot of luck with LLBean jackets and bibs. The are one of the few items we will still purchase from LLBean. The bibs we have had in the past have always been adjustable for shoulder strap lenghth.

The Lands End bibs never worked well for us. Also, LLBean has waterproof vs. water resistant.

I don't have any experience with HA jackets and bibs since we're big skiiers so warm and dry are the biggest concerns.

mommytoC
08-28-2011, 06:27 PM
We've had LLBean (similar to the current Cold Buster Bibs in toddler sizes) and HA, and slightly prefer HA; we haven't had LE. I do think, though, that all three companies make great products. I like the HA Fleece Lined Parkas for Spring/Fall, and the Warmest Down Jackets for Winter (here in WI), and have typically found great deals on these at the EOS sale (I always buy outerwear ahead). LLBean and LE have similar items, of course, but I've found myself drawn to the bright HA (girl) colors. I typically buy HA hats, too, but buy mittens (Cold Buster Waterproof) and boots at LLBean.

IMO, snowpants absolutely don't have to match. Before having a second girl, I always bought navy or black - now I go ahead and buy pink :).

Dream
08-29-2011, 10:44 AM
We have actually had a lot of luck with LLBean jackets and bibs. The are one of the few items we will still purchase from LLBean. The bibs we have had in the past have always been adjustable for shoulder strap lenghth.

The Lands End bibs never worked well for us. Also, LLBean has waterproof vs. water resistant.

I don't have any experience with HA jackets and bibs since we're big skiiers so warm and dry are the biggest concerns.

I went back and checked HA and LLBean, they're both water resistant, not water proof. But the description does say it has adjustable straps.

So do you pair them with LLB katahdin parka? For the price I'm wondering whether I should size up to get atleast 2 yrs out of it. HA bibs are 3-5yrs so I'll be able to get atleast 2yrs of use.

Dream
08-29-2011, 10:46 AM
We've had LLBean (similar to the current Cold Buster Bibs in toddler sizes) and HA, and slightly prefer HA; we haven't had LE. I do think, though, that all three companies make great products. I like the HA Fleece Lined Parkas for Spring/Fall, and the Warmest Down Jackets for Winter (here in WI), and have typically found great deals on these at the EOS sale (I always buy outerwear ahead). LLBean and LE have similar items, of course, but I've found myself drawn to the bright HA (girl) colors. I typically buy HA hats, too, but buy mittens (Cold Buster Waterproof) and boots at LLBean.

IMO, snowpants absolutely don't have to match. Before having a second girl, I always bought navy or black - now I go ahead and buy pink :).

Can you share why you prefer HA over LLB?

DD will be 3 this winter and this is the first time I'm buying snow bibs and coats for her and since they' re so $$$ I want to get the right one.

MommyAllison
08-29-2011, 11:05 AM
We've been very happy with bibs from Target. They've kept the kids dry and warm, and they are adjustable - and you can't beat the price! I usually buy the next size up when they go on clearance at the end of the winter, but due to the adjustability, each size lasts 2-3 years for us.

Last year, we had LE coats for the kids, and they were great, too. If it was very cold, I put their LE fleece jackets on underneath. Again, they were always dry and warm, even in very wet snow.

hbridge
08-29-2011, 11:07 AM
I went back and checked HA and LLBean, they're both water resistant, not water proof. But the description does say it has adjustable straps.

So do you pair them with LLB katahdin parka? For the price I'm wondering whether I should size up to get atleast 2 yrs out of it. HA bibs are 3-5yrs so I'll be able to get atleast 2yrs of use.

I just ordered the L.L. Bean Snowfield bibs which are waterproof. At your child's age we used the Katadhin bibs and jackets exclusively. DC LOVES the snow and we ski so they got hard use and still looked new when they were too small. I buy everything big since DC is SO TALL. Just make sure the bibs aren't hanging on the ground and that the arms on the jacket aren't too long and you should be fine. We usually get two year out of snow wear...

pb&j
08-29-2011, 11:42 AM
We've been very happy with bibs from Target. They've kept the kids dry and warm, and they are adjustable - and you can't beat the price! I usually buy the next size up when they go on clearance at the end of the winter, but due to the adjustability, each size lasts 2-3 years for us.

:yeahthat:

We've been delighted with our el-cheapo, last minute Target snow bibs. Very durable, waterproof, warm. DS is in a 3 in 1 LL Bean coat, and DD has a parka from LE. Both are great, esp since I got DS's at a yard sale and DD's on clearance.

ETA: I don't care if they match. DS's bibs are black, and his coat has black on it, so I guess they kind of do. DD's coat is periwinkle, and her bibs are black, so I would say they "go" rather than "match." ;) She'll be in DS's hand me down snow bibs from here on out, all of which are black or navy. If we got more snow, I might care, but we don't get a ton, and it's not worth the cost of matching stuff for as much use as we get out of it.

mommytoC
08-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Can you share why you prefer HA over LLB?

DD will be 3 this winter and this is the first time I'm buying snow bibs and coats for her and since they' re so $$$ I want to get the right one.

Our HA bibs (the solid-color ones) are made of a thicker, tougher nylon than our LLBean ones (of 4 years ago), and our toddler-size LLBean bibs don't have adjustable straps (though the larger sizes do); otherwise, they have essentially identical features.

I tried a LLBean Katadin Parka and bibs for DD#1 3 years ago, but didn't love the parka's unlined hood. I ended up returning them (even though the set was a steal on sale) for the HA Warmest Down Jacket. We've been very happy with these, and have been buying them ever since. (I haven't ever ordered the Squall Parka from LE, or down jackets from LLBean or LE, but those would be "contenders" IMO.)

I've bought bibs for DD#1 in her current size (130) and next size (140) during the Fall Outerwear sale, but usually wait to buy jackets in December when I can get better deals.

If you can shop in store in the next two weeks, HA might be the best deal, as you can get an additional 20% off the current sale prices with Hanna-Me-Down:
http://www.hannaandersson.com/promotions.asp

Otherwise, I'd probably wait and watch for a % off promotion at LLBean or LE, since the current HA sale goes through 9/25. Also, you might consider just buying a good coat, hat and mittens for now, and picking up bibs at Target (or similar), which wouldn't be quite as nice, but likely all your DD#1 would need.

Edited to add: I just saw the other posts recommending Target bibs!

robinsmommy
08-29-2011, 11:52 AM
On snow bibs, DD is complaining that the legs are too "floppy" - she hates flares and boot cut jeans for that reason.

It looks like the Hanna bibs are adjustable at the ankle? So they might be less floppy?

And how are they width-wise? My girls are both string beans, so if they're really wide like some of the other Hanna stuff, they might not work for us even if they are overalls.

mommytoC
08-29-2011, 12:03 PM
On snow bibs, DD is complaining that the legs are too "floppy" - she hates flares and boot cut jeans for that reason.

It looks like the Hanna bibs are adjustable at the ankle? So they might be less floppy?

And how are they width-wise? My girls are both string beans, so if they're really wide like some of the other Hanna stuff, they might not work for us even if they are overalls.

We like the adjustable ankles on the HA bibs...and haven't found them to be too wide, but I'd refer you to the Measurements tab (next to the tab for Size Chart)
to compare with your current bibs:

http://www.hannaandersson.com/style.asp?from=SC%7c10%7c3%7c24%7c141%7c6%7c%7c&simg=38022_A91

HTH!

robinsmommy
08-29-2011, 12:19 PM
I had completely forgotten that they have garment measurements - so few places do. DD approved the floppiness factor based on the photo, I'll see if my sister can pick up a pair - she has a store near her, so she can take some books in for the discount.

Thanks mommytoC

Dream
08-29-2011, 12:19 PM
I think I'm going to go with HA snow bibs, price is less than LE and LLB and they're adjustable.

Now to decide on a coat, usually I'm not a fan of puffy coats, otherwise I liked the HA "Warmest down jacket", so I'm leaning more towards buying the LLB katahdin parka as it seem very light weight but gives the same protection. I don't know whether the unlined hood in the parka bother me or not. Does it really matter?

My nearest store is 45min away, so it might not be worth the drive.

Kindra178
08-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Now to decide on a coat, usually I'm not a fan of puffy coats, otherwise I liked the HA "Warmest down jacket", so I'm leaning more towards buying the LLB katahdin parka as it seem very light weight but gives the same protection. I don't know whether the unlined hood in the parka bother me or not. Does it really matter?

My nearest store is 45min away, so it might not be worth the drive.

The hood on the Katahdin is completely worthless for warmth. It's a windbreaker hood only; it only provides some wet weather protection. We use hoods and hats combined a lot here, or just hoods alone on unexpectedly windy days, so for us, the katahdin is not a good option. The LE Squall Parka or Sport Squall have awesome hoods, as does the LLB Warm Up Jacket and the LLB Snowfield. If you walk a lot, I don't recommend the Katahdin.

mommytoC
08-29-2011, 12:46 PM

It does to us...mostly because DD#1 (who has some sensory or "comfort" issues) goes through phases where she refuses to wear her "itchy" hats. Oddly enough, she's usually willing to wear a balaclava made from the same material (fleece) :confused:. ITA with Kindra's assessment of the LLBean Katahdin Parka's hood, which doesn't work solo for our weather, either.

You could also consider the HA Journey's End Jacket, which tends to be much cuter in person than in the catalog, and would look great with solid colored bibs
for a less "over the top" look! (Are you planning to buy neutral-color bibs, or a "girly" color? If you're planning on "girly", I usually try to stick with the same brand,
so that the pinks match, although IME the darker HA pinks match the LLBean ones fairly well.) I don't mind puffy, and tend to prefer the "rugby stripes" on the Warmest Down Jacket, but did love the JE Snowsuit we had for DD#2 last year!

Dream
08-29-2011, 02:48 PM
I always make DD wear a winter hat to cover her ears, so I don't expect the hood alone to protect her. I might consider HA journey's end jackets too. Its just that their print is so bold!!

We have 2 girls and our family is complete, So DD1's cloths will be passed down to DD2. While I don't look for very girly clothes, I would avoid complete blue too. I'm planning on buying HA solid color bibs in violet color. I think either of their jackets would go with it but liked the light/thin look of LLB parka but now I might avoid that too. We don't walk alot but DD loves to play for long hours when it snows.

mommytoC
08-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Good luck with your decision...definitely get the coat you like best, since you'll be looking at it a long time (perhaps for the next 4 years, if each of your DDs get
2 years of wear!). Bibs get much less use, and any of the ones you're considering (bibs, or coats for that matter) would keep your DDs toasty warm.

I'd be tempted to shop Hanna-Me-Down to see the HA stuff in person. If you do buy a pink coat and the violet HA bibs (which are a lovely color), any of the multicolor HA hats might work to "tie it all together". We also love the HA Fleece Lined Parkas; while we don't use them for "deep" winter, some cold-weather mamas do. I wonder if one would fit your bill, perhaps layered over a fleecy top on your coldest days?

I had a similarly difficult time when my DD#1 was that age, and obviously looked at a lot of outerwear that year :). It's been much easier (and less expensive) since, knowing what works for us and being able to buy ahead at the HA EOS and LLBean Winter sales!

bubbaray
08-29-2011, 10:09 PM
We :heartbeat: the LLB Katahdin parkas and bibs.

I think the Katahdin parkas are more designed for snow SPORTS as opposed to daily use as a winter coat. For snow sports, you don't actually want a hood and if you do have one, you want it thin. This is because anyone doing snowsports should be wearing a helmet and you can't wear a regular hood under a helmet.

The slim cut of the Katahdin parka is also great for riding lifts and learning snowsports. You really don't want a child in a huge, puffy Michelin man parka for skiing, it makes it really hard for them to get on the lift and its hard for liftees to lift them up onto the lift if they don't know where their actual body is (ie., they are just a huge puffy marshmallow).

DD#1's parka & bibs that she wore for 2 seasons look brand new.

robinsmommy
08-30-2011, 12:22 PM
We had one set of LLB snow gear for DD (we're in the west, and I usually try to buy somewhat local when I can).

I completely agree that they are wonderfully slim. LE coats are just too wide for DD, haven't tried the LE snowbibs just yet (they never have them at Sears, which is weird since I rarely see a kid in snowpants instead of a bib around here).

So if you have stringbeans, LLB are a great choice. They are my back-up choice for this year.

shishamo
08-31-2011, 05:51 PM
We have used a HA Journey's End Jacket and Bib set for skiing (we go every weekend December-March) for the past few years, and they worked great for us. Plenty warm and very cute- I would not use it for a everyday coat personally, but it's great for a ski slope- so easy to spot my girls. We get a lot of compliments.
They are somewhat puffy but it was never a problem for them and again, nice and warm.
We've never used the hood since they wear helmets, although they look plenty big.