PDA

View Full Version : Can I Freeze Ratatoullie?

StantonHyde
08-28-2011, 08:38 PM
I have no idea if I spelled that right--I always think of the movie when the chef call it "rat patooty".... anyway,,, I have half a large eggplant, 2 zucchini, 2 tomatoes, and some peppers from the CSA. I am thinking of making ratty with it. Can I make some and then freeze some for later? Or would it turn into one big mush ball? I don't want to make eggplant parm--I am going for low cal here. If I can't freeze it (or would regret doing so), any other ideas?? TIA

Pepper
08-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Well, I sure hope so...I made 2 batches of it last week and put it in the freezer :-)

If it's watery when I thaw it, I'll just drain it a bit or cook it in a pan for a while to boil of the excess liquid.

mjs64
08-29-2011, 01:59 AM
You can definitely freeze it! It's one of those things that, IMO, is even better later on (like tomato sauces). Yum!

ETA: I would though freeze it in smallish portions--divide it into portions of 2 servings, say. Otherwise, it'll be crazy to defrost.

StantonHyde
08-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Thank you ladies. Rat patooty it is tonight!

alien_host
08-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Can you guys share your recipes? Overrun with eggplant and tomatoes here....thanks!

Pepper
08-31-2011, 08:06 PM
Well, I haven't really been using a set recipe - just whatever I have to use up and as much of it as looks good in the pan :-). I do have an old article from the Boston Globe, which says that a classic ratatouille has 1 onion, 2 tomatoes, 3 peppers, 4 zucchini and 4 eggplants.

Basically I saute some chopped onion and garlic in olive oil until soft, add some chopped bell pepper (red or other sweet peppers if you have them, maybe one hot pepper too for a little kick) and cook until soft. Then add cubed eggplant and zucchini, peeled and chopped tomatoes (though peeling is not strictly necessary) maybe some mushrooms, possibly a bit of basil or parsley. Cook until everything is very soft, about 30 minutes, or longer if the tomatoes are watery and you want a thicker sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings for salt and pepper. You can stir in a can of white cannellini beans (drain and rinsed), if you like.

I cut the vegetables to all about the same size. The size depends on what I think I will use the rat for - I like larger chunks (3/4") to serve over pasta (ziti, usually) with some nice smoked mozzarella cheese. But for pizza, I like smaller chucnks, 1/2" or less (try topping it with fontina cheese). You can also whirl the rat in a blender or food processor later, to make a smooth sauce for pasta or pizza.

BTW if you have eggplants and like Indian food, I can post a recipe for roasted eggplant with yogurt (kind of like bhagan bartha - I'm sure I spelled that wrong!) that is awesomely yummy.

alien_host
09-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Pepper thanks for the info! Yes, can you post the other recipe...I have way to many eggplants!

Pepper
09-02-2011, 08:54 PM
OK then, here you go...BTW my hubby, who does NOT like eggplant, will eat this. I think it's because the eggplant gets totally hidden - the texture changes when you roast & mash it, and the flavors from the spices are really yummy & also cover up the eggplant taste.

Baigan Dahi (eggplant w/yogurt), adapted from "The COmplete Asian Cookbook " by Charmaine Solomon

2 medium eggplants
3 tablespoons ghee or oil
2 medium onions, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (I use a microplane grater)
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon chili powder, optional (depending on if you want it to be spicy or not)
about 1/2 teaspoon slat, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon garam masala, optional
1 cup yogurt (I use full-fat yogurt, but I think low and non-fat will work too since you don't actually cook it once the yogurt is added)

Roast the eggplants until the skins are blackened and the flesh is soft throughout: I usually put them into a cast-iron skillet under the broiler, turning once, and broil them for 20-30 minutes depending on their size. Or put them whole, on the grill and cook until charred on all sides. You can also wrap them in foil and put the directly on top of the stove burner, turning them every 10 minutes or so, until they cook on all sides (this method takes longer - 45 min? but sometimes is more convenient depending on what else I'm cooking that day).

Let the eggplants cool and the cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh (sometimes it's easier to peel the skin off instead of scooping out). Roughly chop the roasted eggplant flesh or mash slightly.

While the eggplants are roating, heat the oil in a medium skillet or pan. Add the onions and fry over low heat, stirring often, until they are soft and golden - this can take a while too, maybe 30 minutes. (But you're waiting for the eggplant to roast so you don't mind, right?) If you're in a hurry you can cook the onions quickly at first until they lose most of their liquid, then turn down the heat to low so they don't burn. When the onions are golden, add the garlic and ginger and cook for a few more minutes.

Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, and chili powder and stir. Cook for another minute or two and then add the salt and mashed eggplant. Stir and cook for a few minutes, then sprinkle on the garam masala and cook for five more minutes - uncovered if there is a bit of liquid in the pan, cover it if it's starting to look dry. Taste for salt and add a bit more if desired, and a pinch of sugar if you want it a bit sweet - maybe 2 teaspoons of sugar (I never do that, though). Turn off the heat and mix in the yogurt.

Serve immediately or keep in the fridge for 3 days. Serve as part of an Indian meal with curries and rice. It's also great as a sandwich spread with some grilled veggies, or as a dip with crackers, or in a pita sandwich with falafel or lamb meatballs or on a burger...I love this stuff :-)

Hope you like it, too!