PDA

View Full Version : building house, need help making decisions (one more question, #24)

Maxlee
08-28-2011, 09:57 PM
I need help making a few plumbing decisions. Which of the following would you choose? Thoughts appreciated . . .

Bathtub in kids bathroom - shallow cast iron (no additional charge), deeper acrylic tub (additional charge), deeper fiberglass tub (small credit)

Bathtub in master bathroom - Whirlpool tub (no additional charge), air tub (additional charge), soaking tub only (small credit). Bathroom also has walk in shower with large shower head, handheld head shower head and three spray jets.

Bottom of kitchen sink strainers - satin nickel to match faucet ($150 extra!!) or chrome (no additional charge)

ShanaMama
08-28-2011, 10:05 PM
I am not familiar with the tubs but would definitely want a jacuzzi type for my master bath. For the kitchen sinks I'd be more concerned that the strainers should match the sink than the faucet. Are you getting stainless steel sinks? Then a a satin nickel would look funny.

jren
08-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Not sure about the kids bathrooms - but the depth wouldn't matter as much with kids.

I'm not a fan of whirlpool tubs b/c I have an irrational fear of gunk building up in the jets between uses and shooting out in the water. Maybe I read something somewhere that scared me off. Just seems hard to keep clean. I'd be fine with the soaker (and never use my tub anyway b/c who has time?).

I think we have regular chrome drains and brushed stainless faucet and it's never stood out to me as being different/noticeable.

JoyNChrist
08-28-2011, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't think you'd need a deeper tub for the kids' bathroom, so I'd probably go cast iron.

We have a whirlpool tub and the only time I turned the jets on was when I was pregnant. Otherwise, I like to soak, but I don't really enjoy the jets (and ours is noisy). So I'd probably go with the soaking tub (what's an air tub?).

I wouldn't spend $150 on a sink strainer. ;)

lhafer
08-28-2011, 10:14 PM
We have a 6ft tub with jets in our master and love it! It's big enough to comfortable fit 2 adults. Our girls take their baths in there all the time. They don't use their bathroom in that aspect! Oh, and nothing gunky ever comes out of the jets if they aren't used in a while. The only cleaning I do with mine is to fill it, add some bleach to the water and turn the jets on and let it circulate about once every 4-6 weeks or so.

Not sure about the kids' tub. Are there different ways you have to clean those materials? I'm not sure what we have - just got whatever the builder put in.

I would just go with the chrome strainers.

twowhat?
08-28-2011, 10:18 PM
1) shallow cast iron. You don't need a deep tub. And being able to stick magnets on it is great entertainment for little kids.

2) soaking tub only. I also don't like the idea of stuff building up in the jets. Not to mention I don't remember the last time I had time to sit in the tub.

3) chrome

Maxlee
08-28-2011, 10:21 PM
For the kitchen sinks I'd be more concerned that the strainers should match the sink than the faucet. Are you getting stainless steel sinks?

We are not getting stainless - we are getting a Blanco Silgranit in Matallic Gray http://www.blancoamerica.com/c3/blanco_usa/_www/en/pub/products/product_portfolio/portfolio_silgranit_sinks.cfm?fuseaction=c.article detail&strukturid=1269339455286&artikelnummer=440077

boltfam
08-28-2011, 10:25 PM

I wouldn't spend $150 on a sink strainer. ;)

:yeahthat: We have a satin nickel faucet and chrome strainers, and I don't think anyone would notice the difference.

I might spend the $ on the air tub, but I would stick with the shallow cast iron tub for the kids' bathroom.

Maxlee
08-28-2011, 10:27 PM
(what's an air tub?).

Air Tubs have small holes that blow a stream of air that creates a stream of air bubbles. The water does not recirculate through the tub (like a whirlpool) so you don't have any gunk buildup (which totally grosses me out!!)

ShanaMama
08-28-2011, 10:29 PM
We are not getting stainless - we are getting a Blanco Silgranit in Matallic Gray http://www.blancoamerica.com/c3/blanco_usa/_www/en/pub/products/product_portfolio/portfolio_silgranit_sinks.cfm?fuseaction=c.article detail&strukturid=1269339455286&artikelnummer=440077

Nice sink. I still wouldn't spend $150 on a sink strainer, even though the satin nickel probably would look better.

khm
08-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Gunk DOES shoot out of our jets. Grossest thing ever. I will not get another jetted tub. (The house is approx 7 years old.)

I would not spend $150 on a strainer. That is the type of thing you'd never, ever notice if you bought an existing house of any age. But, when you build, you find all kinds of stuff like that to spend extra money on!

I don't really know re: the kids' tub. I'd probably get the one that was easiest to keep clean.

wellyes
08-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Standard kid bath (cast iron) because it doesn't matter but don't go too cheap
Upgrade master bath ( air) for resale plus air jets are cool
Standard sink strainers for sure

JoyNChrist
08-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Air Tubs have small holes that blow a stream of air that creates a stream of air bubbles. The water does not recirculate through the tub (like a whirlpool) so you don't have any gunk buildup (which totally grosses me out!!)

That sounds pretty cool! I'd probably still just go with the soaking tub.

jren
08-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Okay, I'm changing my vote from soaking tub to air tub. Sounds so relaxing!

ChristinaLucia
08-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Soaking tub only unless you personally love the whirlpool / air tubs. I have hated them in every house I have owned and I swear I will never have one again. If I want to sit in a whirlpool, I will put one outside. They are a huge pain to clean and I never have the time or inclination to use them. JMHO.

crl
08-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Kids--Shallow cast iron, it will hold up better
Master--soaking tub only, keeping the others truly clean would drive me mad, plus I never really take baths
Sink--I'd pay to match it because it would bug me for it to not match. (But I am the kind of person who was bothered for seven years by a sink that was two inches off center of a window where dh never even noticed it at all.)

Catherine

daniele_ut
08-28-2011, 11:05 PM
I'll be the voice of dissent on the shallow tub in the kids' bathroom. We had a really shallow old cast iron tub in the bathroom in our old house and there was always water on the floor after bathing DS. In this house we put in a very deep tub made of Vikrell, which is a proprietary material from Sterling. I LOVE the depth of the tub, as we can fill it half way and they rarely splash water out of it. I'm not as fond of the material, however, since it's harder to keep clean, imo. If I could go back in time, I'd have spent the extra money on a deep cast iron tub.

vonfirmath
08-28-2011, 11:27 PM
I wouldn't think you'd need a deeper tub for the kids' bathroom, so I'd probably go cast iron.

Guests?
when the kids grow up?

s7714
08-28-2011, 11:47 PM
IMO depth makes a big difference when you're bathing kids. It's a huge PITB for our kids to safely get in and out of our large soaking tub in our master bath so I'd never put a deep tub in a kid's bathroom. Without knowing an actual depth on the tubs in question I wouldn't want to recommend one over the other here though. I mean is shallow 6" or 12" or ???

For the master bath I'd personally go with a deep soaking tub and skip the jets. DH would totally disagree on that--he wishes we would have gotten the jets when we had the house built in retrospect.

I wouldn't pay that much extra for nickel accents in the bottom of my sink!

lalasmama
08-29-2011, 01:29 AM
I'm not a fan of whirlpool tubs b/c I have an irrational fear of gunk building up in the jets between uses and shooting out in the water. Maybe I read something somewhere that scared me off. Just seems hard to keep clean. I'd be fine with the soaker (and never use my tub anyway b/c who has time?).

I had to crack up at this. My XH and I had a whirlpool tub in our master bath. I loved it, and I think he could have taken it or left it. We were young (20 and 24), and I seriously think he had it more to woo girls than for any real preference (we weren't together when he had the house built). We'd seperated for a few months early on, and when I moved back, I went to take a bath in the tub, and I don't think I have ever screamed as loud. There was this black seaweed looking stuff throughout the tub. I still get the heebee-jeebees thinking about it! Because of that, I will never have a jetted tub.

mjs64
08-29-2011, 01:46 AM
Standard kid bath (cast iron) because it doesn't matter but don't go too cheap
Upgrade master bath ( air) for resale plus air jets are cool
Standard sink strainers for sure

:yeahthat:

JoyNChrist
08-29-2011, 02:10 AM
Guests?
when the kids grow up?

Well sure, it might be nice for guests or older kids to have a deeper tub, but they would certainly be fine with a standard-depth tub. I'm looking at it from the perspective of having to bathe our kids in the super-deep Whirlpool bath in our guest bathroom...it's hard on my back, DS1 can't get in and out without help, etc...it's kind of a pain. A shallower tub would make all that easier, while still being just fine for the future.

AnnieW625
08-29-2011, 02:13 AM
I would not do cast iron as the finish chips and then you have to have it replaced. We have to do that with ours. I don't think I'd want a deep tub for the kids bathroom because it would be hard to get them out.

I would do the air tub in the master bedroom.

I would do the standard stuff for the sink.

Maxlee
08-29-2011, 09:12 AM
one more questions: Would you pay extra for under-mount bathroom sinks upstairs? Mater bathroom (granite counter, 2 sinks), kids bathroom (corian, 2 sinks), guest bathroom (corian, 1 sink)? I am leaning toward doing it in the master only.

thanks for all your opinions! :)

elbenn
08-29-2011, 09:25 AM
As for the under the mount sinks, I would do it in the master with the granite, but not in the other bathrooms.

boltfam
08-29-2011, 09:27 AM
one more questions: Would you pay extra for under-mount bathroom sinks upstairs? Mater bathroom (granite counter, 2 sinks), kids bathroom (corian, 2 sinks), guest bathroom (corian, 1 sink)? I am leaning toward doing it in the master only.

I guess it depends on your budget. I would probably only do it in the master bathroom.

s7714
08-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Would depend on how extra it'd be.

WatchingThemGrow
08-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Gunk DOES shoot out of our jets. Grossest thing ever. I will not get another jetted tub. (The house is approx 7 years old.)

So weird. My jetted tub is 8 years old and I've never seen anything shoot out the jets. It is a Whirlpool Cielo. And cleaning it isn't a problem AFAIK. I follow the directions and don't use soap while the jets are running.

Maxlee
08-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Would depend on how extra it'd be.

$200 per sink

Babymakes3
08-29-2011, 10:55 AM
I think undermount sinks are so much easier to clean around bc you don't have that lip at the top. It looks really nice with granite though so at the very least maybe the master only. If my kids were really messy in their bathroom I might consider it too.

chozen
08-29-2011, 11:09 AM
the corian i have seen is all one pc., but now that i think about it they have all been kitchen sinks. i think under mount is much easier to clean.

soon2b4
08-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Undermount sinks are easier to clean - but I also thought Corian sinks would be one piece with the Corian countertops? If they are going to be porcelain sinks with Corian - would you ever want to change out for granite upstairs? I know you are building brand new, but how long do you expect to be there?

bcafe
08-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Under mount sinks, but I as well thought corian counters/sinks were one seamless piece?

Maxlee
08-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Hmmm. . . never heard of corian counter/sink being one piece, just e-mailed builder. Does anyone know about the quality / durability of those?

Maxlee
08-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Undermount sinks are easier to clean - but I also thought Corian sinks would be one piece with the Corian countertops? If they are going to be porcelain sinks with Corian - would you ever want to change out for granite upstairs? I know you are building brand new, but how long do you expect to be there?

Don't think we would want to change out the counters for Corian in the future If we don't switch to granite now (but that is $$$) and we are trying to save some money somewhere! We are building new and have no plans on moving - hopefully building our "forever house"

Jo..
08-29-2011, 12:32 PM
I love my jetted tub. Every couple of weeks I fill it up with hot water and bleach and let the jets run for a minute. I have lived here for almost five years (bought the house and the tub used), and have NEVER had gunk shoot out.

Maxlee
08-29-2011, 04:16 PM
ok, just heard back from builder. Corian sink (one piece with counter) would be the same price as corian counter with under-mount porcelain sink ($200 extra) . . . .

So would you pay extra and choose corian sink or porcelain undermount sink or keep the regular drop in porcelain sink??

Thanks for you help!!

elbenn
08-29-2011, 04:27 PM
If you're trying to save money somewhere, I would go with the regular drop in sink. I don't think it will be a big deal and many nicer homes have the under mount sink in the master only.

jren
08-29-2011, 04:30 PM
I would not want the drop in sink if I could avoid it. It seems more dated to me, b/c that's all we had growing up. I'd do either undermount or all in one with the corian. Maybe the undermount would look nicer as long as it's the same price as the all-in-one, but I'd imagine the all-in-one would be easiest to clean since there'd be no grout at all.

curiousgeorge
08-29-2011, 09:04 PM
This is coming from someone who is in her somewhat "forever" house (at least another 17 years until the kids are done with HS) and is in the finishing stages of a kitchen remodel...

I would absolutely do undermount sinks anywhere I could. We just switched out our horrible, white, impossible to keep clean, drop-in sink in the kitchen for a new one. We also did the Blanco Silgranit (one large bowl in Biscotti) and our strainer piece and ring match the color of the sink. Is that an option for you or do you have to go with a type of metal? BTW, I LOVE the sink!

As for the bathrooms, I would at least do the undermount sink/one piece sink vs. the drop in. Think about how messy kids are when it comes to their sink area...toothpaste, hair, and then when they start shaving or using make-up, etc. I would want to be able to just swipe a sponge over that and sweep it into the sink. This is a benefit to you, now and for a long time, in terms of cleaning the bathrooms.

Not sure it really matters as much on the tubs, as if it is your forever house, by the time you leave or are ready to upgrade there will be some awesome space-age type of tub with jets, etc. that you will either upgrade to yourself or the next owner will. I'd go with what works now for you and your family and your budget.

Just my two cents!

LMPC
08-29-2011, 09:08 PM
I agree...if this is your forever house, then the extra 1K or so is not going to matter in a few months, nay, weeks! We have cultured marble in DD's bathroom that has the built in sink and it has held up well. Very easy to clean!

Maxlee
08-29-2011, 09:11 PM
We also did the Blanco Silgranit (one large bowl in Biscotti) and our strainer piece and ring match the color of the sink. Is that an option for you or do you have to go with a type of metal? BTW, I LOVE the sink!

the matching strainer is an option although it would also be about $150 extra or more, not sure if its worth it!

twowhat?
08-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Yes, if this is your forever house, totally do either the Corian one-piece or undermount sink!! I think you'll be kicking yourself if you don't. The new house we just bought has the marble one-piece in all the bathrooms but the MASTER has the horrible drop-in sinks! I hate them!

curiousgeorge
08-29-2011, 10:21 PM
the matching strainer is an option although it would also be about $150 extra or more, not sure if its worth it!

I guess since we only have one drain instead of two since we just have one big sink it wasn't that expensive. We went with the matching piece because it seemed to look best with the sink we got. The biscotti is much different than the metallic gray though, and I would think any metal color would look good with your sink.

I hope you like yours as much as we like ours!

AnnieW625
08-29-2011, 11:29 PM

Can you do flush corian sinks instead? My parents have them in both of their bathrooms and love it. If we ever redo our bathroom we are doing that, they are soo easy to care for.

Maxlee
08-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Can you do flush corian sinks instead? My parents have them in both of their bathrooms and love it. If we ever redo our bathroom we are doing that, they are soo easy to care for.

yes we can do corian countertops w/ built in sinks (for an additional $200 per sink - same price as under-mount). Is that the way you would do it?

Dcclerk
08-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Weirdly, I love home questions like this :) So, here are my thoughts:

1. Cast iron tub. I actually like them better than the acrylic ones we have, and it is less expensive.

2. Soaking tub, unless you know the jet tub will hit you well. I have yet to find a jet tub that I actually think is really comfortable. And they require extra cleaning maintenance. For me, it is not worth the price. And the air jets are great in that they aren't supposed to collect gunk, but they also aren't supposed to have as much of a therapeutic benefit, just "bubbly". If you love the bubbly, the expense may be worth it.

3. Try the mis-match for a while. If it bugs you, buy an after-market strainer. There will be a sufficient distance from the faucet and strainer that they might not bug you. And, even if they do, you probably can find a coordinating strainer for relatively cheap at Home Depot, ebay, etc. (The exception here are non-standard sinks like Rohl.)

4. Undermount everywhere. They are much, much easier to clean. That will matter every day of your life. My one sink that is not completely undermount bugs the bejeezus out of me for this very reason.