PDA

View Full Version : Post c-section swelling

anonomom
08-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Can someone refresh my memory on how long it takes for swelling to subside after a c-section? DS was born a week ago, and it seems to be getting worse, not better. I actually weigh more now that I did when I went into the hospital (and considering that DS weighed 9.5 lbs, that means I'm carrying around at least 10-15 pounds of water!!) My ankles and feet are so big I'm having trouble walking. I seem to recall it going down much faster after my daughters were born.

Edensmum
08-29-2011, 09:49 AM
It can take a few weeks. It may not be getting worse but it may be shifting. If it's getting worse make sure you take you bp.
Drink lots of water, eat watermellon and celery to help flush it out faster.

ThreeofUs
08-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Let your OB know and take your BP.

If you can, walk. If not, get your feet up. Remove any salt from your diet.

Congratulations on your DS's birth!

luckytwenty
08-29-2011, 11:32 AM
I was still swelling at my 2 week incision check up. I honestly didn't have normal hands and feet (like wearing normal shoes/rings again) until about 6 weeks PP. But I gained a tremendous amount of "water weight" with this pregnancy (as evidenced by my insane night sweats. It was pretty cool to wake up drenched in sweat and 2 pounds lighter every day for the first month!!)

brianaw
08-29-2011, 01:02 PM
I never had swelling after a c-section, except my last one. It only lasted about a week, but my feet were HUGE. I was actually getting pretty worried. But it went away without any problems. Well, i did have problems afterwards but not swelling related. I guess I've learned... 3rd c-section isnt always easy.

amldaley
08-29-2011, 01:19 PM
I seemed to swell even more right after and then I finally noticed around the two week mark is was getting better. Agree with PP though that you need to ask your OB as BP can be an issue.