PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about Kindergarten soccer!

khalloc
08-29-2011, 11:19 AM
My DD is signed up to play Kindergarten soccer. She doesnt HAVE to have cleats this year. But will need shin guards and socks. Where to get these cheap? If I dont buy her cleats, what kind of sneakers does she need? I dont really have any lace up sneakers for her. She has a pair of stride rite sneakers that velcro in a zig zag, but something tells me those wont cut it? Does she need a pair a regular sneakers?

Oh, if I am going to buy sneakers, what could I get that I could pass down to DS? Should they be lace-up ones?

Thanks!

niccig
08-29-2011, 11:39 AM
I would get cleats if they're playing on wet grass. Around here, many sports stores off a deal of cleats, shin guards and a ball for $30 or $40.

DS wears his shin guards for 2 years. I get the cheapest cleats for him, normaly under $20.

icunurse
08-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Target sells an all-in-one sock with shin guard for $10. I found them easier for DS when he was younger to get himself dressed for soccer. Cleats are ~$20 at Target. When DS didn't need cleats, he just wore whatever gym shoe he was wearing at the time and we didn't have any problems. You can also find stuff at resale sports places like "Play It Again", but I'm not sure how much less the items will cost.

Cam&Clay
08-29-2011, 11:41 AM
For the little ones, I recommend the all-in-one shinguard/sock and the cheapest cleasts from Target or Modell's/Dick's.

I would try to get cleats. The grass can get very slippery on those chilly Saturday mornings.

khalloc
08-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks! I wish we had a Target but we dont. I can get to Dicks though.

new_mommy25
08-29-2011, 12:11 PM
I got DS and DD's soccer gear at Sports Authority. They have a soccer package where you can get cleats, ball, and shin guards for $29. The package price goes up depending on what brands you choose. Otherwise, any sporting goods store will have what you need. Dicks is good.

geochick
08-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Check Amazon for cleat deals. We've gotten some really nice soccer cleats on sale there before. It's something you have to keep checking for.

BeachBum
08-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Our under 6 league doesn't require cleats either, but I've never seen a kid not wearing them. Most of the girls wear pink ones, and pink socks.

Jen841
08-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Get cleats! This is from a Mom who slipped on wet grass and twisted her ankle.

I am a bit crazy about having the appropriate footware for my kids, the same goes for sporting equipment. Good equipment can be cheap and worth every penny!

Cleats I get at Modells for $10-15 each year - unless I pick up used ones at an outgrown sale. I'll get some shin guards locally. Both kids are playing this year so we need 2 sets.