PDA

View Full Version : school supplys - do you take everything out of the packages?

jess_g
08-29-2011, 11:41 AM
and do I need to label everything? This is for 2nd grade and I can't remember exactly what I did last year. Do you label everything with your childs name on them? And do you open all the packages up at home? The supply sheet (of course) does not mention what to do and with school starting tomorrow I can't remember what I did last year.

thanks, J.

gatorsmom
08-29-2011, 12:24 PM
I think it would be a huge help to open and prep everything at home. I had to cut open some packages and it took time to label even the few things that our 2nd grader needed labeled.

I imagine that the teacher would be very grateful if s/he didn't have to spend time helping all the students open their supplies, deal with trash, and get everything labeled properly.

egoldber
08-29-2011, 12:29 PM
I take most things out of packages. Things like notebook paper I leave in the package, but other than that I take it out.

I don't label supplies like pencils and pens.

Also, each teacher seems to have a special method for wanting folders and notebooks labeled, so I don't bother to label those either.

I label things like her pencil sharpener, pencil pouch, ruler, etc.

GaPeach_in_Ca
08-29-2011, 12:52 PM
All ours are community supplies, so no I didn't take anything out of the package or label them.

At our school, the teachers already have each desk set up with supplies when the kids come in, so I presume they save the new supplies for later in the year or next year. I don't know how they store them and if they would prefer them packaged or not, so I just leave them.

Our teacher sent a note after the first day saying don't bring any supplies if you hadn't already because she had enough pencils to last until retirement. :p

Kungjo
08-29-2011, 01:28 PM
All ours are community supplies as well so no need to label. I'm sure the teacher would appreciate you taking them out of the pacaking though.

WatchingThemGrow
08-29-2011, 01:33 PM
I just sent things in as is. I've never had parents open up packaging in my 12 years of teaching.

pb&j
08-29-2011, 01:38 PM
All of ours (except art smock) are communal. I left them in the packaging, as I am pretty sure the teacher does not want 6 x 20 dry erase markers, 12 x 20 colored pencils, 24 x 20 crayons, etc. loose in her room.

rlu
08-29-2011, 01:39 PM
All ours are community supplies, so no I didn't take anything out of the package or label them.

At our school, the teachers already have each desk set up with supplies when the kids come in, so I presume they save the new supplies for later in the year or next year. I don't know how they store them and if they would prefer them packaged or not, so I just leave them.

Same here. First day of school DS had a pencil box on his desk filled with supplies - he just wrote his name on the label on the pencil box.

We held off on some of the supplies - we'll bring in the hand sanitizer, second box of kleenex and ream of pastel paper later on - so the teacher wasn't overloaded the first week.

o_mom
08-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Depends on what it is and how it is packaged.

For example, I needed 6 glue sticks - two for one child, four for the other. I bought two three packs, so I opened them to split them up. Same with erasers.

Pencils I took out to sharpen but put back. Crayons and colored pencils I left in the package. Scissors I opened and labeled.

I labeled the stuff I expected to get back and use again next year - scissors, pencil box, ruler, etc. I didn't label crayons, etc. because I will probably get them new next year.

ellies mom
08-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Our supply lists says what to label and what is community. Last year, we had some personal stuff to label and this year we don't. I stick all the community stuff in a bag for the teacher to deal with as they see fit and the open up the personal stuff and label it. We drop the supplies off a few days before school starts so everything is ready the first day.

ett
08-29-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't take anything out of packages and all of our supplies are communal so no need to label.