PDA

View Full Version : Moving a 2 yo's nap time?

ljackson
08-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Has anyone successfully moved nap time for their toddler? Here is our situation:

- DS usually naps from 1:00 until 3:00
- he will go down for a nap earlier than that but does not sleep for as long and is usually a handful in the evening if he does
- DD will finish preschool at 1:30 this year (this is non-negotiable)
- DD has the option go to preschool 5 days, MWF or TTh
- DD went to preschool MWF last year but finished at 12:00 so it didn't interfere with nap time
- preschool is 1.25 miles away, which is a 4 min drive and we usually drive but I like to park part way and walk the rest
- DS will fall asleep in the car if he is tired and wakes up when I take him out
- we park on the street in front of our house, so if I let DS finish his nap in the car at home I have to be out with him

I need to decide how many days a week to send DD to preschool and am inclined to go with 3 days so that at least DS will get a proper nap on the other days and never has two days in a row without napping when he needs to. I think if I asked her DD would say that she wanted to go 5 days a week. DH thinks we should send her on 5 days and make DS nap from 2-4. He says it would take him a week or two but then he would adjust. I think I would just have a tired grumpy toddler on my hands who would fall asleep in the car on the way to or from preschool and then not nap properly. We are moving overseas in about 3 months time, so this is not something that will affect us all year but I have a lot of stuff to do in the meantime!

Any advice on whether moving DS's nap time might work?

WatchingThemGrow
08-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Oh, I'm in the same boat!!! DS2 usually naps 1-4 and DD's pickup time is 2:30. I can either walk up to get her (leaving in stroller at 2) or drive the 1.1 miles to sit in the pickup line (leaving at 2:20). I know he'd fall asleep in the car, but he's never been a stroller sleeper. Part of me wants to try letting him nap 12-2, but then he wakes up and sits in the stroller for an hour... Totally wish he'd sleep in the stroller during the walk.

I wonder what has worked for people who have BTDT. Both boys just brought blankets and pillows into the living room, so I guess today, we'll try napping early.

chozen
08-29-2011, 12:12 PM
imo, it think your right, i would do 2 or 3 days a week of pre-school and let your lo get his nap in.

scrooks
08-29-2011, 12:47 PM
My DS is similar in age to your DS. Somedays he can make it longer until his nap...other days it's lights out (if we are in the car) but i would think he would adjust if he had to. That being said i would probably opt for 3 days a week for DD just to male sure he gets a good nap a couple of days a week.

stinkyfeet
08-29-2011, 08:53 PM
I agree with ur DH. If ur concerned wit routines, it's probably best to go for 5 days. DS will adjust in about 2 weeks.

TwinFoxes
08-29-2011, 09:36 PM
I think it's definitely possible to shift nap time (we did). But not with a pre-nap car ride! That's really stacking the deck against yourself.

missliss55
08-29-2011, 10:50 PM
My 2 year olds nap from 11:30-1:45. I have to do school pick ups at 2:10 & 2:30. By the time we get home it is 2:45 & that is too late for them to take a nap plus we have all the after school activities. We do a 6:45/7 bedtime.