PDA

View Full Version : Apologia Science, Exploring Creation with Biology

lfp2n
08-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Quick homeschool curriculum question. Is anyone familiar with the Aplogia curriculum for biology. I know its a Christian curriculum but does anyone know whether they teach evolution, and how different it would be from a non-religious public school curriculum (not interested in pros/cons/rights wrongs- I wanted to say in a grant about something else, that's it similar to public school curriculum but not sure that's true and need info ASAP!

Thanks

brittone2
08-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Quick homeschool curriculum question. Is anyone familiar with the Aplogia curriculum for biology. I know its a Christian curriculum but does anyone know whether they teach evolution, and how different it would be from a non-religious public school curriculum (not interested in pros/cons/rights wrongs- I wanted to say in a grant about something else, that's it similar to public school curriculum but not sure that's true and need info ASAP!

Thanks
Off the top of my head, I was pretty sure it would focus on creationism vs. evolution. I have no personal experience with it.

A quick google search seems to confirm it does not teach evolution:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2010-03-08-home-school-christian_N.htm (be forewarned, this kind of bashes Apologia/creationism, but it has some info about content so I wanted to link it for you)
This specifically states it teaches creationism:
http://www.apologia.com/am/

There are some people that use it over at the Well Trained Mind forums if you want to do a search on that site for additional info.

lfp2n
08-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks the USA News was exactly what I needed!

kijip
08-30-2011, 12:38 AM
We passed on it because of the religious nature of it.

AngelaS
08-30-2011, 07:07 AM
We passed on it because of the religious nature of it.

LOL We love it because of it's religious nature. ;) (Good thing there are so many choices out there!) :D

kijip
08-30-2011, 10:06 PM
LOL We love it because of it's religious nature. ;) (Good thing there are so many choices out there!) :D

:D I have to say, there are more high quality religious materials out there than secular. It was a challenge to find the style I wanted without religious content outside of religion as a subject. It definitely shows that most homeschoolers are Christians when you are shopping for books!

AngelaS
08-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Funny, I've had some of the opposite problem. :P We should compare notes. LOL

kijip
08-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Funny, I've had some of the opposite problem. :P We should compare notes. LOL

We must both be suffering from selection bias. As in we each see the things we don't want. :hysterical: I think that there are some programs that try to fence sit or be all things to all people and then end up turning both of us off!

For me, regardless of my religious beliefs I don't want those religious beliefs in my non-religion classes. For me it belongs in a theology class, a bible study or a history book. Other people feel differently, which is great and it is why it seems you can get Christian math books etc. Which on hearing about I must admit my mind went to bible themed word problems that don't exist...when Moses parted the sea the volume of the water each side was equal to...if Jesus has 2 loaves and five fishes...if Paul mails a letter from Taursus to The Corinthians and they mail one back...

AngelaS
08-30-2011, 11:24 PM
My religious beliefs are a part who I am in my everyday life, so there's no separating them out from any one part of my life. :)