PDA

View Full Version : What are the must haves for your toddler's fall wardrobe?

BabyBearsMom
08-29-2011, 01:57 PM
I need to start shopping for DD's fall wardrobe (usually I am more on the ball than this!). What do your kids typically have in their wardrobe?

This is what I am thinking for DD:

Jeans - 2 to 3 pairs
Dungarees/Corduroy pants - 2 pairs
Dresses with coordinated tights/leggings - 3 sets
Long Sleeved t-shirts - 4-5
Shoes - 1 pr sneakers, 1 pr mary janes
Sweaters/Sweatshirts - 2
Fleece Jacket - 1
Socks - 10 pairs
Onesies - 10 (to wear under clothes for extra warmth)
Pajamas - 3 sets (she wears them two days in a row)

I like to have enough outfits that I can safely go about 1 week between loads of her laundry. She will also have two cheap outfits from Target for her cubby at daycare. What am I forgetting? Am I going overboard? TIA!

ETA - And where do you plan to shop? I will get basics from Target and Carters, Fleece from Lands End, shoes from Stride Rite and a few cute pieces from Next Direct

chozen
08-29-2011, 02:07 PM
im not sure waht area you are from or how cold it gets but we always have a back up coat/jacket just in case one is in need of washing. i would also have 5-6 pr. of pj for the same reason, but then again im a pj lover.:)

BabyBearsMom
08-29-2011, 02:09 PM
im not sure waht area you are from or how cold it gets but we always have a back up coat/jacket just in case one is in need of washing. i would also have 5-6 pr. of pj for the same reason, but then again im a pj lover.:)

I'm in VA, so it is mostly sweaters and fleece jackets until November. I figure I will look into coats more when the time comes, because who knows what size she will be by then.

chozen
08-29-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm in VA, so it is mostly sweaters and fleece jackets until November. I figure I will look into coats more when the time comes, because who knows what size she will be by then.

oh, ok i really never buy fall clothes per say other then a jacket, i buy pants, pj etc. for fall-spring wear.

BabyBearsMom
08-29-2011, 02:31 PM
oh, ok i really never buy fall clothes per say other then a jacket, i buy pants, pj etc. for fall-spring wear.

I hope to do that soon, but DD is still growing so fast. In the spring she was wearing size 12 to 18 months and now she is a 2T. I am looking forward to the days when she stays the same size for a few months at at time ;)

crl
08-29-2011, 02:32 PM
When we lived in NVA and ds was a toddler, I always had one fleece jacket his size and one in the next size up as a back up. I also had a fleece vest and found it got used quite a bit.

I also tend to like a few more sets of pjs, just because if the kid gets sick it is always at the worst possible time and puke on the last clean set of pjs at midnight really bites.

Catherine

weech
08-29-2011, 02:58 PM
I agree with the PJs thing - I typically have several pairs.

I can't figure out what size DS is going to be this fall. He's been in size 12months since the spring (he's tiny...) but I don't want to buy fall/winter clothes now and then have to buy again in 18 months halfway through the season. Ugh. no idea.

Related question - How many pairs of shoes is normal for a toddler? DS has two pairs of tennis shoes and a pair of dress shoes. His daycare also requires rain and/or snow boots for outside. It seems like a lot - thoughts?

chozen
08-29-2011, 03:15 PM

I can't figure out what size DS is going to be this fall. He's been in size 12months since the spring (he's tiny...) but I don't want to buy fall/winter clothes now and then have to buy again in 18 months halfway through the season. Ugh. no idea.

Related question - How many pairs of shoes is normal for a toddler? DS has two pairs of tennis shoes and a pair of dress shoes. His daycare also requires rain and/or snow boots for outside. It seems like a lot - thoughts?

we have 4 pr. one dress, two everyday and one pr. of snow boots.

BabyBearsMom
08-29-2011, 03:17 PM

I always have two pairs for DD. I usually have one pair that I prefer and she wears them 90% of the time, I just use the other pair in case the first are out of commission for some reason (wet etc.). I only buy dress shoes if I know I have a reason to need dress shoes (I'm not including basic mary janes as dress shoes).

ETA- I didn't even think about "snow shoes". Our daycare only goes outside if the weather is good and I just don't see DD walking around in the snow (she is horrified enough when she has to walk on grass, the diva that she is)

gummibear
09-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Your list sounds about right for what we had last year. DS is 2.5, and I skipped the list this time, and just eyeballed his clothes instead. We're buying the next size up, 4t, but his wardrobe currently has a mix of 2s and 3s. Thankfully his 3s are fall/winter clothes. We missed the boat on a lot of summer stuff for next year though, late shopping on deals.
DS has 2 pair of shoes - 1 sneakers & 1 crocs for the beach. We need to pick up shoes too. He's not in daycare so we got away with less pair but this year that's changing. We are in VA also.