PDA

View Full Version : Bad Cold and 38 Weeks Pregnant

lmr1101
08-29-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm 38 weeks today and came down with a horrible head cold. I can't breathe out of my nose - even though I'm blowing it all day. My throat hurts and I just feel awful...
Is there anything I can do at this point?
What happens if I go into labor while sick with a cold... will I have to be worried about holding the baby/spending time with her once she's born?

nrp
08-29-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm 38 weeks today and came down with a horrible head cold. I can't breathe out of my nose - even though I'm blowing it all day. My throat hurts and I just feel awful...
What happens if I go into labor while sick with a cold... will I have to be worried about holding the baby/spending time with her once she's born?

So sorry! Take some honey for your throat, and just take it as easy as possible. Lots of fluids - normal stuff. You might also try a neti pot if you haven't already - helps clear out your nose naturally.

While I really hope you won't have to endure labor with a cold, I wouldn't worry about passing anything to the baby. He or she will be getting antibodies that you are producing now to fight the cold, and if you breastfeed, more will come through the breastmilk.

BabyDahl
08-29-2011, 02:25 PM
You can also use Ocean nasal spray/drops for your nasal congestion, absolutely safe at this point. It's just salt water.

BayGirl2
08-29-2011, 02:27 PM
S
While I really hope you won't have to endure labor with a cold, I wouldn't worry about passing anything to the baby. He or she will be getting antibodies that you are producing now to fight the cold, and if you breastfeed, more will come through the breastmilk.

:yeahthat: When I was pregnant with DS I got colds a lot bc I was doing a lot of business travel. Someone pointed out that I was passing all that immunity to the baby. DS is rarely sick, so maybe that was a benefit? Not sure how much research backs that up , but at least it made me feel a little better at the time.

ETA: My OB has always allowed me to take Tylenol Cold while pregnant.

BabbyO
08-29-2011, 03:07 PM
FWIW, when I had my first, I got a cold around the same time. Labor & delivery weren't all that bad. Must have been the adrenalin or something because that was the only time I was able to breathe for several weeks. Granted, I didn't BF or even hold my son all that long (I was giving him up for adoption), but I did have contact with him over the two days I was in the hospital and he didn't get sick. I suspect that the antibodies were passed to him.

soon2b4
08-29-2011, 03:08 PM
So sorry! I have also been allowed to take Sudafed while pregnant - but I would say to check with your doc/midwife first. I hope it passes quickly!

lowrioh
08-29-2011, 03:30 PM
[QUOTE=lmr1101;3247057]I'm 38 weeks today and came down with a horrible head cold. I can't breathe out of my nose - even though I'm blowing it all day. My throat hurts and I just feel awful...
What happens if I go into labor while sick with a cold... will I have to be worried about holding the baby/spending time with her once she's born?[/QUO

I would take an anti-histamine such as Clartin or Zyrtec as well as some Tylenol. My OB said that these were all fine during my pregnancy. You can also use saline nasal spray and run a humidifier in your room at night. Sudafed is probably OK but I would check with your OB because it can increase your heart rate.
Sorry you aren't feeling well :(

waitingforgrace
08-29-2011, 04:32 PM
At that point in pg my midwives and ob ok sudafed for congestion. You might want to call your dr, hope you feel better soon.

ThreeofUs
08-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Neti pot. Works wonders when you have a cold.

lmr1101
08-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Just 2 more hours at work and then I get to go home! I totally forgot about the neti pot... I think I'll try that first and then go to the drugs tomorrow if it's still bad.
My biggest concern was being sick with a baby, so as long as I don't go into labor in the next few days, I'm sure I'll be over this and fine.

poohbear
09-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Neti pot. Works wonders when you have a cold.

:yeahthat: I swear by the neti pot - walgreens makes a generic version that comes with a squeeze bottle - easier to use than the kettle IMO.

Tondi G
09-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Neti Pot is good ... a good warm shower. You can put a washcloth into steamy hot water and then wring it out and apply to your face/sinuses to help drainage. Tylenol is good too ... it'll just help calm things down (sinus swelling) and ease your sore throat.

Chicken Noodle soup
Hot tea with lemon and honey
Drink tons of water

If you are planning on nursing, your little one will get antibodies via breastmilk to help fight the cold germs. Hopefully you get over the cold before going into labor though!

Feel better!

bisous
09-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Hanging in there? I'm 38 weeks too!

I had a terrible flu around 11 weeks or so and my OB actually okayed Sudafed! I wouldn't have taken it except NOTHING else worked. And usually the PPs suggestions were more than enough! I literally could.not.sleep and Sudafed saved me. I took only two doses a day--enough to get me congestion free through the night.

Of course, in retrospect I kind of wish I had waited...11 weeks is so critical but at 38 I probably wouldn't worry at all.

I hope the more natural methods work for you but if not, Sudafed was the answer for me!

GL!