PDA

View Full Version : Gym/PE class in elementary school?

longtallsally05
08-29-2011, 03:17 PM
How often does your grade-school aged child have PE class? I was shocked to learn today that my kindergartener will only have gym class once per week! Is this typical? I seem to recall having gym class every day when I was in elementary school. Obviously, we will have to seek out other organized opportunities for physical activity b/c just playing in the back yard isn't going to cut it. There is only one public pool in our county, no YMCA, or anything other than dance lessons as far as I can tell. I miss living in an area with programs like Playball, in which DD participated for the last two years. It's too bad DD hasn't learned how to ride a bike yet; this will be a project DH & I will have to get on ASAP. What sort of PE programs are available in the public schools in your area?

pb&j
08-29-2011, 03:18 PM
My kindergartner has PE every single day. And recess.

infocrazy
08-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Twice a week and recess.

vludmilla
08-29-2011, 03:21 PM
She will have recess every day and P.E. every other day. On days that she doesn't have P.E., she will have music, art, computer or library classes.

lilycat88
08-29-2011, 03:22 PM
In K it was an all day program and they were outside at least twice (and most times more) per day. As a first grader, it's 1-2 times per week. They are on a 3 day rotation of art, gym and music.

Kindra178
08-29-2011, 03:23 PM
8 am - 2:55 kindergarten. Recess three times a day. Gym twice per week.

Canna
08-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Gym class is twice a week.

They generally have recess twice a day in addition to that in kindergarten, except when we have major snow or frigid temps.

elephantmeg
08-29-2011, 03:24 PM
my kindergartener has 1/2 hr of recess a day plus 1/2 hr of PE 3 days a week. Love it! I took snack for them today and was invited to tag along for recess and loved looking around at all the playground areas full of kids playing/running/jump rope etc. :)

rlu
08-29-2011, 03:28 PM
DS had PE twice a week last year in 1st. He had the same in K but the K teacher also had them playing soccer the days they didn't have PE with the PE teacher. She felt K needed to get out and play every day, which makes sense to me.

This is the second week of school and back-to-school night is Wed so we'll get a better feel for his schedule this week.

DS has a recess plus the lunch recess.

We have a near-by park we frequent since our yard is no longer large enough for his play (baseball, football, soccer, all too frequently the balls are going into the street - or too close to the windows for comfort - now).

SnuggleBuggles
08-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Once/ week (sometimes 2 times as they have a weird schedule system). But 40 minutes of recess/ day.

Beth

Puddy73
08-29-2011, 03:55 PM
For K and 1st, PE twice a week. Recess every day. DD1's 2nd grade class has activities (art, piano, music, PE, computer lab, Spanish, library) on a seven day rotation so some weeks she only has PE once. I do try to keep her in some sort of organized athletic activity because she is not a naturally active kid.

nfowife
08-29-2011, 03:56 PM
twice a week in first grade plus 2 recesses a day. In kinder it was different and they did it by the week so one week it was PE every day then the next it was alternating art/music. They've switched it this year so it's alternating by day instead of by week.

longtallsally05
08-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm disappointed in what DD's school is offering in terms of PE and opportunities for physical activity. DD will get 30 minutes of recess every day at school (it's an all-day kindergarten), but gym only once per week and I don't know for how long. Now I'm scrambling to get her registered for soccer at the local recreation center through county parks & rec. We just moved here and I'm lucky they have slots left for DD! After having done tap & ballet last school year, DD never mentions wanting dance lessons anymore, but she has asked me about soccer several times since we've been here. Now to start shopping for cleats & shin guards!

Green_Tea
08-29-2011, 04:06 PM
30 minutes of PE 2x/week and 30 minutes of recess every day.

longtallsally05
08-29-2011, 04:11 PM
DS had PE twice a week last year in 1st. He had the same in K but the K teacher also had them playing soccer the days they didn't have PE with the PE teacher. She felt K needed to get out and play every day, which makes sense to me...

DS has a recess plus the lunch recess.

This sounds wonderful. My DD had/has low muscle tone and was in physical therapy for a long time. We've also done hippotherapy, Playball, swim lessons & dance lessons over the years. DD's physical therapist said children need at least 60 minutes of physical activity every day, and that it is actually more difficult to sit still (eg. at a desk) than it is to move around. Doing more physical activity helps build muscle tone, which makes it easier to sit at a desk and learn.

I think it wil be a PITA to find time in our family schedule for evening soccer practices (what with the fact that we have a 2.5 year old and a new baby on the way), but obviously it is necessary to do it on our own because DD isn't going to get much PE or recess time at school. Besides, there is no way to know exactly how much standing around DD does do vs. physical activity during recess and gym class, so off to soccer we go!

Thanks for the feedback.

kdeunc
08-29-2011, 04:18 PM
30 minutes of PE 2x/week and 30 minutes of recess every day.
:yeahthat: Same for us.

mom2khj
08-29-2011, 04:22 PM
PE - 3 days a week, 45 minute classes.
Recess - Daily, 30 minutes long.

carolinamama
08-29-2011, 04:31 PM
PE only once per week and a daily recess for 30 minutes. Definitely not enough physical activity. DS1 also plays soccer and has a weekly swimming lesson. He rides bikes and plays outside most everyday at home.

crl
08-29-2011, 04:33 PM
In SF, the district provides it far less than once a week. Our parent organization funds a PE teacher position so that all the kids get it once a week.

Catherine

ilfaith
08-29-2011, 04:43 PM
My boys are in private school and have PE three days per week. They also rotate art, music, computer lab and library one day a week. My kindergartener is in the full-day program, so they have morning and afternoon recess. There school does offer after-school enrichment programs (for a fee, or course) in dance, yoga, martial arts, soccer, basketball and soccer, as well as musical theater, cooking, "Mad Science" and one or two other classes I can't think of off the top of my head.

Honestly, the resources were one of the main reasons we decided to remain in our private school. We looked at the public school and found that their school had eight classes (of about 25 students each) for each grade (K-5) yet there was only one art teacher, one music teacher, and one gym teacher. The assistant principal (who gave the tour) was evasive when I asked how much time each student would spend each week in PE, art and music. Obviously budget cuts have made the situation worse.

FWIW, when I was in elementary school (a million years ago) we only had PE one a week.

MMMommy
08-29-2011, 04:46 PM
PE twice a week.

mom2binsd
08-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Five days a week for all elementary kids (I believe it is the law in IL?) Taught by specialized PE teachers, not classroom teachers. is how it is at our school as well.

ABO Mama
08-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Twice a week, plus recess 2x per day. The gym teacher was cut (stinking CA budget mess), so the teachers will be in charge of P.E. time now.

justlearning
08-29-2011, 04:52 PM
It's half-day K and DS has 30 minutes of PE once a week and a 15-minute recess once a day.

Cam&Clay
08-29-2011, 05:05 PM
With budget cuts, many school systems have reduced PE, Art, and Music. It's a shame. I know of a school system in the DC Metro area where the students got Art four times a year. That's it.

Here in Fairfax, students get PE 2-3 times a week, depending on how long the classes are.

octmom
08-29-2011, 05:11 PM
DS and DD each have PE 3x/ week in K and 2nd. I'm pretty sure they do it that was all the way through 5th grade at their school. Each PE class is 45 minutes long. They also get recess and activity breaks in their classrooms.

Kindra178
08-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Five days a week for all elementary kids (I believe it is the law in IL?) Taught by specialized PE teachers, not classroom teachers. is how it is at our school as well.

Two days a week at our IL school.

soon2b4
08-29-2011, 05:17 PM
DD has p.e. and recess everyday. But, it is a private school...

ett
08-29-2011, 05:19 PM
PE twice/week and recess every day.

fivi2
08-29-2011, 05:36 PM
PE is every 3rd day (rotate art/music/pe). They have recess every day but I don't know how long. The rule around here appears to be that they have to have a certain number of minutes of physical activity per week. So in a week where pe only falls once, the teachers will maybe add some extra recess time. Based on the spring info session, they might do a regular free play recess and then later in the day a more organized activity. But not every day - just so they meet the weekly requirement.

Melbel
08-29-2011, 05:41 PM
PE daily for all grades (PK-6) and recess daily through 3rd grade (but with a drop off in recess time in grades 4 - 6). Private school.

I would not be happy with 1x week PE. I think it helps the kids academically to get up and move during part of the school day.

gatorsmom
08-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Gym class twice per week.
Recess twice per day.

mom2binsd
08-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Two days a week at our IL school.

A quick search came up with this

http://www.aahperd.org/naspe/publications/upload/Illinois-profile.pdf

Do you attend a private school? I was sure it was IL law?

egoldber
08-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Older DD has had PE twice a week in the 2 schools she has been at. One day it is longer (50ish minutes) and the other day it is shorter (30ish minutes).

Her current school has recess daily except on Mondays, which is a short day.

MelissaTC
08-29-2011, 06:52 PM
M will only have PE once a week this year but that is because he will add band to his schedule instead of the basic music class. Band is twice a week. He has recess every day and art, media and computer every week. We used to also have Spanish but we lost it due to budget issues. We will start it again in fifth grade.

cuca_
08-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Last year DD2 in K DD had gym 2 a cycle (6 day cycle). We recently moved to a new state and I love the fact that she has gym every day. Her class also runs laps daily (home room teacher does this in addition to PE. She goes to public school. DD1 is in private school and also has gym daily.

o_mom
08-29-2011, 07:23 PM
50 min of PE per week - either in one or two blocks. Recess is 15 min/day.

Kindra178
08-29-2011, 08:49 PM
A quick search came up with this

http://www.aahperd.org/naspe/publications/upload/Illinois-profile.pdf

Do you attend a private school? I was sure it was IL law?

Public.

HIU8
08-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Our publics only do PE once a week. DS's school (a private) has PE every day plus recess before school, during lunch and 2 breaks daily (sometimes they go out and sometimes not).

kbud
08-29-2011, 08:53 PM
We are in a charter school and do an official pe class once a week. They have art, music, technology, drama and Spanish all once a week as well. They have recess once a day, even in full day kindergarten. I thought that wasn't enough, it was also the last thing kindergarten's did in the day too. Although, the school incorporates activity all day. They do some sort of PE everyday with the class. In kindergarten they also did yoga in the middle of the day. So they do have physical activity every day, only the structured class was once a week.

bubbaray
08-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Gym class twice per week.
Recess twice per day.

:yeahthat:

Frequently throughout the year, the gym classes are "specials" -- yoga, gymnastics, etc that the PAC pays for.

They get the usual 15 min outdoor recess every morning and then a longer recess after lunch. They eat lunch during class time, with teacher supervision (typically, the teacher reads to the class while they are eating). Then they have about 25 min of outdoor play.

maestramommy
08-29-2011, 09:53 PM
My K student has PE once a week too. I seem to remember when I was elementary I only had PE once a week. Course, we had recess every day back then too......

I'm thinking K will have recess every day until it starts snowing. Then it's down to once a week. at least outdoors.

lalasmama
08-29-2011, 10:13 PM
This is one of my pet peeves. Kids need to move!

In the first neighborhood school DD went to (in kindy) they had PE 1/wk, and daily recess. They were a very sought-after school placement. We then moved to a very inner-city school. They did PE 2/d a week with 2 recesses a day. For 1st grade, we moved to a nice, small town. PE happens 1-2x/wk--they have 4 specials, so they cycle through the specials, which means once out of every 4 weeks, there is 2 days of PE. I HATE how they do recess though. When it's rainy (we live in Oregon, so "rainy" is October through May), they go to the gym and have options like coloring and computer time and some other more seditary things. My DD has ADHD, she (like all kids!) needs that time to blow off her steam!

bubbaray
08-29-2011, 10:15 PM
When it's rainy (we live in Oregon, so "rainy" is October through May), they go to the gym and have options like coloring and computer time and some other more seditary things.

OK, that is insane. Our weather is even rainier than yours and our kids are NEVER inside for rain. They also aren't inside for snow, unless it goes below a certain wind chill temperature (-10C, around 15F). We are expected to send them in appropriate clothing to allow them to be outside for two recesses.

lalasmama
08-29-2011, 10:43 PM
OK, that is insane. Our weather is even rainier than yours and our kids are NEVER inside for rain. They also aren't inside for snow, unless it goes below a certain wind chill temperature (-10C, around 15F). We are expected to send them in appropriate clothing to allow them to be outside for two recesses.

I fully agree. I was livid the first time she told me about it. I send her to school in a thick coat with a hood and rain boots when appropriate so she can play outside. She needs the fresh air and run-around time like every child. And this is in a "good" school-highly rated with the state, hard to get into (people never move away, so becoming a resident in the district is tough).... They occasionally have things like jump ropes and hula hoops. I may tell DD that she needs to do that instead of coloring/computers this year.

niccig
08-29-2011, 11:53 PM
DS has PE twice a week, 2 recesses and a long lunch each, they go to the school farm once a week to garden, but he mostly runs around climbing trees, and his 1st grade teacher is a dance and yoga teacher. I've been told she'll be teaching them yoga and they'll learn some dancing for the end of year show.

He's getting plenty of activity at school.

almostamom
08-29-2011, 11:56 PM
As a teacher, the most my students in any grade ever had PE was twice a week (this goes back to the early 90s). At the school I currently teach at (and DS attends), we have PE twice a week. Primary grades also have two recess periods a day. Those are in the gym right now because it's air conditioned. Grades 4-8 have PE twice a week, but we only have one recess/day.

mom_hanna
08-30-2011, 12:07 AM
dd is in 2nd grade and has recess 3x a day and PE twice a week. She also rides her bike to school and back. ds is in K at a different school and has the same - recess 3x a day and PE twice a week.

jerigirl
08-30-2011, 12:16 AM
She will have recess every day and P.E. every other day. On days that she doesn't have P.E., she will have music, art, computer or library classes.
:yeahthat: Except since we are on about day 65 of over 100 degree temps they don't go outside for recess. They have been doing indoor activities.

klwa
08-30-2011, 06:38 AM
I don't know about DS's class, but when I was in school, we had recess every day (twice a day in younger grades if I rememebr correctly). We only had structured PE class with the seperate teacher once a week.

georgiegirl
08-30-2011, 07:35 AM
DD has 30 min of PE every third day (music or art or library the other days. They have a 15 min recess in the morning and a 20 min one after lunch. Everyday after she comes come, she asks to play outside.

JBaxter
08-30-2011, 07:51 AM
PE is once a week. Its an encore class they have Art, Music, Media and Spanish each once / week. They also have 2 recesses / day.

lablover
08-30-2011, 08:01 AM
No PE in K but K is only 3 hrs/day. For the older grades, PE is 3x/week. It is one of the "specials", along with art, computer, Spanish, music. They have two specials per day. Recess is 15 min. Wish that were longer.

mom2binsd
08-30-2011, 09:03 AM

In Ottawa, they don't keep them indoors unless it's -20C....those Eastern Canadians are pretty hardy!

longtallsally05
08-31-2011, 01:01 AM
This is one of my pet peeves. Kids need to move!

ITA. No wonder we have such an increase in obesity in this country; it's not our genetics that have changed in the last 30 years!

[/QUOTE]When it's rainy (we live in Oregon, so "rainy" is October through May), they go to the gym and have options like coloring and computer time and some other more seditary things. [/QUOTE]

That is bonkers. I went to elementary school in Alaska and we had outside recess. Yes, it was COLD but we dressed for the weather! I remember sliding down iced-over hills of gravel on toboggans and my sister actually broke her arm on the outdoor ice rink while skating during recess (they closed the rink during recess after that). Heck, my little brother rode his bike to school because that's what the cool kids in his grade were doing.

I signed DD up for soccer today and practice starts tomorrow. DD will have full-day kindergarten with 30 minutes dedicated recess time daily (lunch time is separate), with PE once a week taught by a PE teacher. Now she'll have soccer practice 3 hrs a week with weekly games. DD doesn't know it yet, but I plan to enroll her in whatever sport is in season for county parks & rec. Basketball is next, followed by spring T-ball or indoor soccer. There are breaks between the different cycles of sports, but I can't do anything about that. I also want DD to learn to ride her bike (she's had one for a year but is pretty skittish about falling off) and I'm going to look into Little Gym for DS! I'll have to wait until next summer for swim lessons, as there is only one public pool in our county, and lessons are seasonal. I WISH we had a Playball franchise around here to go with DS's preschool experience...DD loved that in Atlanta.

Meatball Mommie
08-31-2011, 06:19 AM
... when I was in school, we had recess every day (twice a day in younger grades if I rememebr correctly). We only had structured PE class with the seperate teacher once a week.

This exactly...

Both kids (3rd grade and 1st grade at a local Catholic school) have PE 1x per week for 55 min and Lunch/Recess every day for 1 hr (not sure of the breakdown between lunch and recess, but I'd assume 30 min ea). That always seemed "normal" to me and I don't expect more. It would be awesome to have PE more than 1x per week though! It's considered a special so it's split with art, music, computer lab and library time.

I don't worry too much because my kids are already enrolled in extracurricular sports. The school runs a soccer program as well after hours - 1st and 2nd grade is instructional & 1x per week and the higher grades are competitive and play 2x a week. Also, DS1 is at the rink for hockey 4 times a week right now, so he gets plenty of exercise! DS2 will start hockey again mid-Sept.

I don't know the school rules for going outside for recess, but at our prev. school, the rule was rain = stay inside, but snow or cold = outside, so dress appropriately (inc. snow pants/boots). If the wind chill got below a certain point, they did keep the kids inside.

maestramommy
08-31-2011, 06:48 AM
In Ottawa, they don't keep them indoors unless it's -20C....those Eastern Canadians are pretty hardy!

Wow, and here I thought we were raising our kids pretty hardy! Here the kids stay in if it gets below 20F. Well, at least for the preschools. Maybe the older kids still get to go out.

I guess cold is relative!

Gena
09-09-2011, 08:25 AM
DS has regular gym class once a week and Adaptive Phys Ed (APE) once a week.

He also gets 20-30 minutes in the sensory room every day.

mom2binsd
09-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Wow, and here I thought we were raising our kids pretty hardy! Here the kids stay in if it gets below 20F. Well, at least for the preschools. Maybe the older kids still get to go out.

I guess cold is relative!

Actually I stand corrected, when I mentioned this thread to my teacher friend in Ottawa she said that it had to be -25C to keep the kids inside!

american_mama
09-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Public elementary school. All grades have gym 3 times a week and recess every day.

hillview
09-09-2011, 09:18 AM
We just went from 2x a week to 1x a week BUT they made recess 1 hr a day. DS1 will have his gym teacher in recess 2x a week (in addition to gym once a week) and the gym teacher will have pick up games of soccer and kick ball etc going on.

I should say I am very happy about this situation.
/hillary

longtallsally05
09-09-2011, 04:12 PM
DD just informed me that on the day that they have PE, they don't get their 30 minute recess. :mad: Oh well, at least she's getting some decent cardio through soccer 3 x week. Thank goodness for our city's Parks & Recreation department!

Simon
09-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Public school with daily PE and outdoor recess 2x.

However, so far it seems that PE means running between the lines on the gym floor. Good cardio but not very impressive (creative) or educational!

I am amazed at the indoor recess. Is that common elsewhere?
I can understand in the blazing heat, but just for rain? In the two states I am most familiar with, the kids go out in all weather (except windchill some number below zero--so not just below freezing).

Roni
09-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Once a week. They have a different special every day.

HIU8
09-09-2011, 04:41 PM
In our public it's once a week. In DS's private it's every day. Plus 2 other recess times. Art, music are once a week though.

AnnieW625
09-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Right now for kindergarten I think it is maybe once or twice a week. They don't have to get a full PE uniform until the 4th or 5th grade so it won't be a full PE period until then. They have 20 minutes of play time at lunch, and two 15 minute recesses I believe. She is school from 8 to 2:30.

bubbaray
09-09-2011, 04:46 PM
DD just informed me that on the day that they have PE, they don't get their 30 minute recess.

OK, that is just weird. So the bell goes and not all kids get to go out? How strange.

longtallsally05
09-09-2011, 04:51 PM
OK, that is just weird. So the bell goes and not all kids get to go out? How strange.

I know, right? I peppered her with questions, and she is sticking with that story. I guess they do "gym" class during recess. Color me unimpressed.

Toba
09-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Kindergarten is only half day here. Gym once per week, recess twice a day, snack time once per day.

Grades 1-5 also only get gym once per week, recess twice a day, snack time once per day.

There are a TON of physical sports around here though. I got at least 10 sheets on the first day of school for different leagues of different sports and they still are coming. The registration cost is high though. We decided to let DS take this season off. He'll be starting baseball in the spring with DH coaching (if you coach, you get $100 off the $230 registration fee, plus you don't have to do any of the after work like mowing the lawn, sorting the equipment, etc.).

Middle school and high school both get gym five days a week for three marking periods, and then one marking period for health. It's been this way since DH and I went to the same schools 20-30 years ago. The only thing that's changed is that 6th grade used to be part of grade school .... now it's in middle school (6-8 grade).

longtallsally05
09-09-2011, 04:56 PM
The registration cost is high though. We decided to let DS take this season off. He'll be starting baseball in the spring with DH coaching (if you coach, you get $100 off the $230 registration fee, plus you don't have to do any of the after work like mowing the lawn, sorting the equipment, etc.).

Ouch! I'm feeling very fortunate now. We only paid $25 registration fee for soccer and that was only b/c we registered late. It's only $20 per sport if you register on time. Parks & rec seems to be the only thing that is cheap around here though, considering where we live. I swear, cost of living was cheaper in the ATL metro.