PDA

View Full Version : Help! What to get mom of 3 in honor of her 3rd DS?

smiles33
08-29-2011, 03:45 PM
DH's close friends just had their 3rd DS and we want to get a gift for them. It has to be shipped since they're quite far from us and I'd prefer to use Amazon if possible since then it's free shipping (we have Prime). But I'm game to use other websites for unique items.

Can you propose something around $50? They already have 2 boys, so I feel like I can't go with a typical baby gift as it's probably something they already have. Should I buy a toy for the older boys to share? Something for mom?

FWIW, she's a SAHM, not on BBB or a blog reader (doesn't really even check email), and seems to me to be very practical and frugal, so it would be nice to get a gift she otherwise wouldn't buy herself. I was thinking of Sophie the giraffe for the baby since she probably doesn't have it, but I know my DDs both ignored it and I would hate for her to think I bought her a cheap "dog toy" when it's a $20 item.

Thanks in advance!

BabbyO
08-29-2011, 03:54 PM
I'd be inclined to get her something for herself (a spa/mani/pedi GC), GC to her favorite coffee place, or bookstore. OR go with something like a really nice picture frame that she could put pics of her little men in. Maybe a frame that has 4 openings (1 for each DS and 1 of the Family).

I tend to be frugal and those are the type of things I really appreciate, but never buy myself. I also wish for once someone would listen to me when I ask for gas gift cards...so take my advice with a grain of salt if you like! :D

nfowife
08-29-2011, 03:54 PM
How about something like this?
http://www.etsy.com/listing/79927975/big-sis-big-bro-lil-sis-lil-bro-matching?ref=sc_4

ast96
08-29-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm a mom of three boys!

I really appreciated anything personalized or monogrammed for the baby, since he had a lot of hand me downs. An XL tote from L.L. Bean or Lands' End is great for holding books and toys, or monogrammed towels from PBK or LE. I like sending personalized trick or treat bags or Easter baskets or stockings. Aden & Anais blankets were always welcome too.

For me, the best thing anyone could have done for me was to bring me dinner or lunch. Period. Spa GCs went unused -- I was either too uncomfortable or, postpartum, had nursing boobs and no babysitter. So, a meal and company would be great!

Jo..
08-29-2011, 04:07 PM
I don't think you can ever go wrong getting a new mom FOOD. She will have lots of people buying cute stuff for the baby, but very little time for herself. Edible Arrangements, Honeybaked ham, etc etc...

WatchingThemGrow
08-29-2011, 04:11 PM
yep, food. While diapering, wiping, and conversing with 3, you lose the ability to think in advance about mealtimes. Well, at least I did.

artvandalay
08-29-2011, 04:12 PM
I ordered a personalized print with the baby's name from a seller on Etsy. I think it was around $15. I then found a nice frame put it in the frame. My friend loved it, she put it in the baby's room.

luckytwenty
08-29-2011, 04:16 PM
I'd go for a basket of something edible or a personalized baby item. I have three kids (middle one is a girl) and really appreciated those gifts the most, as I already had plenty of baby stuff and boy clothes.

smiles33
08-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Great ideas, everyone! I wish we were close enough to deliver some homecooked meals (DH is a great cook) but they're about 1000 miles from us. I'll go research food options that can be delivered near them.

hellokitty
08-29-2011, 05:35 PM
I like Allison's idea of something personalized. A friend got me a two piece outfit personalized with DS3's first initial (I was wondering why she kept pestering me about what the baby's name would be, lol) and I am keeping it for his memory box.

Also, I think a new diaper bag (maybe a skip hop) would be a nice gift. You didn't say how old her kids are, but if the spread was like mine, diaper bags have gotten a LOT nicer than when I had my older two. I've bought a few new diapers bags for DS3, b/c my old ones are just kind of out-of-style. A good sling might be nice too, esp if she is out and about a lot, she will need one.

WatchingThemGrow
08-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Great ideas, everyone! I wish we were close enough to deliver some homecooked meals (DH is a great cook) but they're about 1000 miles from us. I'll go research food options that can be delivered near them.
Tell us the locale and someone may be able to help with a good meal place. You could always do restaurant GCs so they can do take out, too! We did the meal prep place thing for a friend who moved to CA (loooong way from all of us.)

smiles33
08-29-2011, 05:54 PM
I spent a long time searching for food delivery places near her but it's complicated by the fact that she's vegetarian. So I went to etsy and found some cute personalized name puzzles. I think that's what I'm going to do!

Like this:

http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_570xN.237797978.jpg

Mirthful
08-29-2011, 07:34 PM
That's a great idea! My first DD received something similar (it was a name puzzle stool) and we all loved it so much I ordered another for DD2. Both were seriously played with for years!

kristac
08-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Gift certificate for a photographer.

hellokitty
08-29-2011, 10:17 PM
A name stool or plaque would be really cute!