PDA

View Full Version : Keep or Toss?

ett
08-29-2011, 05:29 PM
So we lost power for about 13.5 hours last night into today. I'm definitely tossing the milk and cream cheese but what about the following? We keep our refrigerator pretty cold but DH did open it once this morning.

Shredded low fat cheddar cheese
Individual wrap low fat chedder cheese chunks
cut up watermelon
russet/red potatoes
olive oil/vinegar based salad dressings

We actually had very little in the refrigerator because we just got back from vacation Saturday night.

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
08-29-2011, 06:14 PM
I'd keep it all except the potatoes.
eta- the cheese is probably processed enough that nothing would happen. Oil and vinegar can be stored room temp so they should be fine even as dressing.

Beth

mom2binsd
08-29-2011, 06:27 PM
I never store potatoes in the fridge so I am sure they are fine...I'm not sure why Beth thought the opposite, maybe I'm missing something.

The cheese/dressings I'd toss to be safe.

The watermelon may just not taste great, but I'd say it should be fine.

Jen841
08-29-2011, 06:28 PM
I would keep it. We lost power for days, but did not toss non-meat items and all was well. I have had things in a cooler for longer on day trips.

SnuggleBuggles
08-29-2011, 06:30 PM
I never store potatoes in the fridge so I am sure they are fine...I'm not sure why Beth thought the opposite, maybe I'm missing something.

The cheese/dressings I'd toss to be safe.

The watermelon may just not taste great, but I'd say it should be fine.

I said no on the potatoes b/c I don't think potatoes in the fridge were a good idea. :) You're right though, if they work for OP then they are very likely fine.

Beth

mariza
08-29-2011, 08:35 PM
I'd keep all of it. We lost power for about 30 hours and I only tossed my sliced deli meats and anything mayonnaise based. Kept my cheeses, oil based dressings and fruits/veggies. I poured our milk into DC's Funtainers yesterday and filled with ice so it was still good (albeit a little watered down) I tossed my half n half but figured my unopened container of coffeemate has enough preservatives in it ;) oh, I also tossed DS' organic yogurt.

ett
08-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm glad to hear that most stuff will be okay!