PDA

View Full Version : Best carseat for international flight

jjenniebug
08-29-2011, 09:13 PM
We are getting ready for a trip to France (10 hours on the plane), and I would love some pointers on a few things related to the travel and our 18-month old DD:

Carseat
After reading many posts we have definitely decided to take a carseat on the plane. We have a Britax Marathon (17 lbs.), but I'm debating getting a lighter/ better seat for travel (we need a second carseat for my husband's car anyways so it's not a completely unnecessary expense ;). Any recommendations??

Umbrella Stroller
Also, we're probably going to invest in a good umbrella stroller and we're leaning towards the Mac Triumph. I realize it probably won't do well on cobblestones or rough roads, but I'm not sure what our options are since we're going to be lugging so much stuff! My husband wants to take his backpack baby carrier but I don't think there is any way we'll be able to carry all of that- thoughts there?

Sleeping Situation
Our daughter is still in a crib- does anyone know if you can rent a Pack & Play overseas? I'm sure things like that exist in big cities like Paris but I haven't looked around too much yet.

Any other helpful tips and/ or words of encouragement would be great- I'm not sure if we're brave or crazy for trying this!!

LMPC
08-29-2011, 09:31 PM
First of all...you are going to have a great time!! You are going to France...nuff said ;)

We took DD to London when she was about 15 mos old and here's what I found. We took the Blvd and it was waaaay to heavy for me to lug around. After that trip I bought a Cosco Senera for plane travel. It's not a comfy as the Blvd but DD slept in it well when we visited family in Ireland this past year. I don't think I would use it for day to day car travel, since it's not as cushy, but for once in a while travel it serves us well.

I took my Silver Cross Fizz to London...so lots of cobblestone streets. It did fine, and so I'm guessing most higher end umbrellas would work as well.

At that age, I might take an ergo vs the larger carrier. If you don't have one, maybe you could borrow one from a friend just for the trip.

Sorry I can't help with the PnP question but I am assuming that if you are in a larger city it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe not an option for you, but on holiday we just stick DD in bed with us.

Have a great time!!!

jjenniebug
08-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Thank you for this info! I really appreciate it!

About the Ergo- is it better than a Baby Bjorn? I think DD is probably too big for the Baby Bjorn now, but I believe the Ergo is larger?? Great suggestion :)

bubbaray
08-29-2011, 11:41 PM
I'd consider taking the Marathon car seat b/c not all seatbelts in Europe lock like North American belts do. It depends on what vehicle you will use over there. If you aren't using a vehicle in Europe and only need it for the plane, I'd get a Scenera or Uptown or similar.

*I* would buy a stroller there, so many cool choices!

And, yeah, I'd take an Ergo, not a Bjorn.

Reina
08-30-2011, 05:54 AM
I'm currently in France. (not in Paris. South - beach side)

As far as a carseat is concerned, if you are flying Air France, there is a good chance they may not allow a Britax Marathon due to its size. Air France is rather difficult.Therefore we don't fly them. But all airlines are weird. They change their minds about what's allowed and what's not every couple weeks. Call your airline before buying a car seat.
A Mac Triumph is just fine for cobblestone and dirt roads for us. DS is not a picky kid. He has too much fun looking around and doesn't seem to mind the bumpy ride. Get a cheap stroller bag for gate checking. It's worth the extra $15-$20.

We live in NYC and travel to Europe 3-4 times a year. DS has been travelling since he was 9-10 months old. He is 23 months now. We only took a car seat once and it didn't work for us . He never sat in it and the car seat ended up taking up all that space. So now he sits on my lap with a harness during take off and landing; and sits in his own seat during the flight.

I mostly fly alone with DS and here is what I brought this time:
Mac Triumph
My largish backpack (laptop, change of clothes for DS & me, 7-8 diapers, wipes, crackers, water, 1-2 packs of 8 oz milk, DS' favorite blanket, neck pillow etc)
DS's small backpack full of toys (cars, crayons, stickers, stacking cups, toy phone etc)

Travel light... When you have too much stuff to lug around, it gets cumbersome. The less you have on you at the airport and plane, the easier it is.

(In the past I used to bring an Ergo. But nowadays I don't want too much junk to carry, DS squirms and wants to get out; hence Ergo becomes more of a nuisance for me than convenience.)

On the plane: stickers, the in flight magazine, Annie's crackers and stacking cups, post it notes, my old blackberry (used as toy), and some favorite cartoons loaded on my laptop are all life savers. When he was about 18 months old I used to get the sleeping cot for him on the plane. Now he just sprawls on the seats (I buckle him down of course).
Highly recommended: look through the $1-$2 bins at Target (or craft stores) for disposable toys like cars, stickers, and the like for the plane ride and present them in flight as new. My son LOVES those new toy moments.

In France: you can buy diapers in any supermarket or store, so don't bring too many. Food is fantastic, so no worries on that. I have never heard of a P&P rental in the States or in France. Maybe your DD can sleep with you ?

Can't think of much else. Ask me if you have more questions.

Bon Voyage!!

jjenniebug
08-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Such great information! Bubbaray, I'd never thought about buying a stroller there.... hmm, we'll have to consider that. I'm such an internet researcher... I think I'd be nervous if I couldn't whip out my laptop and pull up product reviews :ROTFLMAO:

Reina, can I hire you to be my travel consultant?! Thank you so much for all of the great pointers- some I'd thought of and some I hadn't! DD is not a great sleeper, so I'm afraid to try the sleeping in our bed thing, but we may have to. Does your DS sleep ok on the plane? What about when you get back from the trip after sleeping with you? We've battled so much with sleep that I hate to think of backtracking *sigh*, but for Paris we will do what we have to :)

BTW for domestic travelling they have all sorts of baby supply rental companies- everything from PNP's to a tub of toys. Here's a great state-by-state list of companies who rent:
http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/baby-equipment-rentals.htm

Thanks again for all the tips- if you think of anything else please feel free to send it my way! Have a fabulous time on your trip!!!

LMPC
08-30-2011, 09:52 PM
All kids are different with sleep...obviously (not being snarky)....but DD does sleep on planes (especially at that age) and when we get back we just return to our regular schedule...never had an issue getting her to sleep in her bed after a trip...only after being sick and DH insists that it's easier to bring her into bed with us.:shake:

mom2binsd
08-30-2011, 10:34 PM
What about something like a Peapod for sleeping? Not sure how small they fold up for packing into a duffle/suitcase.

nfowife
09-12-2011, 08:31 PM
We lived in Italy for 2 years and traveled all over, including a few times to various parts of France (Paris and other regions).
1) Carseat. I would get a cosco scenera. Be aware that even if you buy a seat they might make you take baby out for take off and landing because international carriers on international flights do not have to follow FAA rules. It's a PITA but that's the way it is and no matter how you fight they will not budge on it. We used Marathons in our home car but on trips we did the scenera for DS (18months-3.5 years at the time) and it worked great and is super lightweight. Installs well in every car we tried (FF, but I can install it RF without a problem as well, it's just not as easy- practice in your car beforehand). Any rental car will have LATCH-called isofix over there.
2)We hade 2 kids so we travelled with a phil and ted's over there. It was heavy but so worth it. The streets are no joke- so bumpy and uneven. We had no problem with the phil and ted's fitting wherever we took it. Maybe get something like the mountain buggy swift? It's very compact and lightweight but has air tires. It really will make a big difference in push and comfort. You can get a carrier too like the ergo and have it with you. Bring a bike lock for the stroller and stow the ergo in the basket so in case you want to go somewhere (a church or smaller museum) where they don't allow strollers you can lock it up for your trip inside. DH and I usually just took turns going into churches since the kids didn't care about that stuff :) .
3) We travelled all over in some more rural areas and every hotel, inn, and VRBO we stayed at had a pack 'n play. They call it a "baby cot" or simply "cot" over there. They are much bigger- mattress is same size as a regular crib mattress over here. Nice!

Hope that helps. Where in France are you going to be traveling?