PDA

View Full Version : Using this dress, what costume?

crl
08-29-2011, 10:11 PM
I really like this dress (which someone else posted here) for dd, who is a big 17 month old.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/69730340/gooseberry-lane-violets-crush-patchwork

I'd like to incorporate it into a Halloween costume so I have an excuse to buy it. ;) What costume could it be? I thought of jester (with colorful, patterned leggings and tshirt underneath and an appropriate hat) or scarecrow (with mismatched leggings and tshirt and appropriate hat). What do you think?

She will be in a stroller for trick or treating so no wings or things that stick out the back.

Thanks!
Catherine

Canna
08-29-2011, 10:19 PM
The dress is adorable, and I don't think you have to use it as a costume to have DD wear it! It doesn't look very costumey to me at all.

The one idea that comes to mind is a Hollie Hobbie doll/rag doll. I guess you'd need a bonnet, boots and a long sleeved shirt under the dress? I have an awesome apron from this etsy seller - she also makes really cute bonnets that your DD could also wear as a fall/winter hat - they're not overly costumey either. http://www.etsy.com/shop/anabelfuzz

DietCokeLover
08-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Rag doll

crl
08-29-2011, 10:41 PM
The dress is adorable, and I don't think you have to use it as a costume to have DD wear it! It doesn't look very costumey to me at all.

The one idea that comes to mind is a Hollie Hobbie doll/rag doll. I guess you'd need a bonnet, boots and a long sleeved shirt under the dress? I have an awesome apron from this etsy seller - she also makes really cute bonnets that your DD could also wear as a fall/winter hat - they're not overly costumey either. http://www.etsy.com/shop/anabelfuzz

No, it is just way beyond what I would ordinarily pay for a dress for a toddler. But if I use it as part of her costume and then use it as a regular dress, it is easier for me to justify the expense to myself.

Thanks for the idea and link!
Catherine

AnnieW625
08-29-2011, 11:57 PM
What about Little Red Riding Hood? You could do a black turtleneck underneath it and then get a cape to go over her head and some black boots or mary jane shoes, and black tights.

DrSally
08-30-2011, 12:01 AM
So cute. I like all of the ideas. The rag doll would be very cute. When I find something I really must have on Etsy, I just wish it would be one of those things that would show up on Heartsy, but it never does!

mariza
08-30-2011, 12:52 AM

I was totally going to say that it reminded me of my Holly Hobbie doll I had as a kid. Long sleeve blouse underneath, bonnet and some rosy cheecks and you are all set! Love the dress :heartbeat:

crl
08-30-2011, 12:59 AM
I am liking the Holly Hobbie idea. And the Etsy seller bonnets look good too.

Catherine

elbenn
08-30-2011, 09:53 AM
I thought rag doll right away, too. If you get the dress, please post a review, as I absolutely love it, but I agree that it is quite expensive.

crl
08-30-2011, 12:50 PM
I took the plunge and ordered the dress and a bonnet.

Thanks everyone!
Catherine

ThreeofUs
08-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Little red riding hood.

xmasbabycomin
08-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Raggedy Ann, modern style

mecawa
08-31-2011, 01:40 PM
What about Little Red Riding Hood? You could do a black turtleneck underneath it and then get a cape to go over her head and some black boots or mary jane shoes, and black tights.

That would be cute!!! I can picture that.

elbenn
09-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I took the plunge and ordered the dress and a bonnet.

Thanks everyone!
Catherine

Please let us know how you like the dress. I really want to order a dress from her. The dress you got and also the halloween dress are just adorable! But they are so expensive, I would love to know your opinion on if it really can be worn for several years (as a dress first and then a tunic).

crl
09-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Please let us know how you like the dress. I really want to order a dress from her. The dress you got and also the halloween dress are just adorable! But they are so expensive, I would love to know your opinion on if it really can be worn for several years (as a dress first and then a tunic).

Sure!

The item page says four weeks and the confirmation email says 4 to 6 weeks, which has me a little antsy. Plus the email says she provides updates on orders via Facebook. Well, I am not on Facebook. So I am debating sending an email saying, what's up with the possibility of six weeks, I need this in time to buy coordinating leggings for Halloween, and by the way I am not on Facebook so you need to email status information directly. Sigh.

Catherine

AngelaS
09-01-2011, 04:58 PM
That is gorgeos! I totally want to make one!