PDA

View Full Version : We've had so many Halloween threads, let's hear what DCs are dressing up as!

TwinFoxes
08-30-2011, 08:05 AM
My DDs say they want to be butterflies. And I am STOKED, because they were butterflies last year, and their slightly too big costumes will fit perfectly this year. :D What about everyone else's DCs? Any firm ideas (although we all know they'll change their minds at the last minute ;) )

Also, what are you mommies and daddies dressing up as?

carolinamama
08-30-2011, 08:09 AM
We will have a knight (DS1) and dragon (DS2) and a princess (DD) if I can find an infant princess costume that I think is cute. DS2 picked the theme since he wanted to be a dragon and DS1 liked the idea of being a knight. DH refuses to dress up and I don't think that I will end up dressing up this year. I :heartbeat: Halloween!

JTsMom
08-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Jason has been talking about going as The Cat in the Hat. If he sticks with that (and I'm crossing my fingers, b/c that would be really easy to pull off), I'm thinking about having Zachary go as Thing 1, and dressing myself up as Thing 2. Kind of goofy, but easy.

We've also talked about Mater and McQueen.

creativelightbulb
08-30-2011, 08:47 AM
1 yr. old DD will be a bunch of grapes or a hot dog...

Mommy is thinking of being a Hogwarts student at work and not sure about after hours...it will depend on the party plans...

DH hasn't decided. It is always an adventure convincing him to dress up and then he has so much fun and is proud when he is complimented all night.

wendibird22
08-30-2011, 08:49 AM
DD1 keeps changing her mind. First it was Belle. Now it's "the rainbow girl" she saw in a costume catalog...figured out she meant Dorothy. I want DD2 to be Minnie Mouse (she carries around a MM doll a lot) but I discovered that DD1's old flower costume fits her (where the hood is the flower around her face and the body is all green). So, having a hard time justifying buys costume stuff for her since I have something that fits and she'll be 22 mos and won't care.

georgiegirl
08-30-2011, 09:08 AM
DD (5) will be princess Leia (specifically from The Empire Strikes Back...she loves Star Wars) and DS (2) will be Luke. The logical thing would be for me to be queen amidala and dh to be darth Vader, but we don't ever dress up.

bubbaray
08-30-2011, 09:41 AM
DD#1 = Snow White (costume from our last trip to DL)

DD#2 = witch (or whatever old costume of DD#1's that fits her this year)

lmh2402
08-30-2011, 10:05 AM
DS goes back and forth between saying he wants to be an octopus

or a school bus..."with a big octagon"

either way, it will involve the number eight ;)

blue
08-30-2011, 10:55 AM
I think I will see if the dragon costume DS wore last year fits him this year (he is a shorty so I think it will fit). Part of me wants to get him a different costume even tho the one he has should fit, we shall see :).

DStt goes back and forth between saying he wants to be an octopus

or a school bus..."with a big octagon"

either way, it will involve the number eight ;)

Eight is my DS's favorite # right now too "8 trees, 8 firefight, 8 cars" ;) etc. That would neat if your DS was an octopus, would you make the costume?

weech
08-30-2011, 10:58 AM
DH and I saw a picture of two dogs dressed up as Ewoks last night and now I'm considering dressing one of our dogs (who looks like an Ewok) as an Ewok, one as princess Leia (her name is Leila), and DS as yoda. :hysterical: we'll see!

MommyofAmaya
08-30-2011, 10:58 AM
DD is going to wear the Gymbo peacock costume. I got all five pieces (dress/wings/tights/crown/wand) for $28 shipped on Ebay. Score! Some of these are going for $100+ I had already bought the wings/crown at the outlet for the same price so those are going back.

DS definitely wants to be Lightning Mcqueen, but I need something cuter for him too b/c we are going to a friend's costume wedding.

I need some ideas for DH and I for the wedding too. Off to make a new post!

Kyras mom
08-30-2011, 11:11 AM
My 7 year old daughter wants to be a turkey.

soon2b4
08-30-2011, 11:18 AM
DD1 wants to be a cat and have DD2 be a mouse. (I told her she could choose for both of them this year, as DD2 would not be old enough to have an opinion.) Of course, now I need to find a grey onesie and hat for DD2... I think the cat part should be fairly easy :)
ETA: Maybe she could be a white mouse?
UPDATE: OH, now they are both going to be cats, so that DD1 can be DD2's mommy... and so it begins ;)

wimama
08-30-2011, 11:24 AM
DD (5) will be princess Leia (specifically from The Empire Strikes Back...she loves Star Wars) and DS (2) will be Luke. The logical thing would be for me to be queen amidala and dh to be darth Vader, but we don't ever dress up.

Another Luke and princess Leia. But, DS has wavered a bit on what he wanted to go as this year.

He wanted to be Luke and then he spied a General Grievous costume I was looking at on my computer. Not mommy's brightest moment looking at it when he was close to my computer. Anyway, I can't stand the idea of my sweet little 5year old boy going as General Greivous. Especially since his Catholic school has a big Halloween party every year, I can't see sending him to school in such a scarey costume. So, we made a deal. He will trade me all the candy he can't eat due to his dietary sensitives and I will buy him a toy General Grievous mask. And, he gets to go as Luke like he originally wanted and I will dress the baby up as a mini newborn princess Leia.;)

elliput
08-30-2011, 11:39 AM
After having perused the Costume Express catalog, I have been informed by DD that she is going to be a pink witch, I am a purple witch, DS is a pumpkin and DH is a ghost. We shall see if this actually pans out. :p

Fairy
08-30-2011, 11:40 AM
This year it's Darth Vader. I want a high quality costume and am struggling with where to get it.

ijopint
08-30-2011, 11:43 AM
I am convincing DS to be Luke, his sister as Leia, DH to be Han Solo
but he is going to the dark side...he wants to be storm trooper..

MSWR0319
08-30-2011, 11:47 AM
DS wants to be a mailman. Any ideas where I can find a cheap mail bag?

misshollygolightly
08-30-2011, 12:03 PM
I think DS has committed to being a fireman. DD will be a dalmatian :-)

Not sure about me and DH...we usually do family costumes, but I can't really think of much to go with the kids' costumes this year.

Our other idea (which we may revert to) was for DS to be a giraffe, DD to be a lion, and DH and me to be safari guides.

maestramommy
08-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Laurel is going to be a ladybug again, or a bumblebee, depending on which costume fits :D

The other two keep changing their minds, but it's always some form of princess. Princess Dora, Princess Ruby, fairy Princess. On the one hand, I'm really so ready for this phase to be over. OTOH, we already have the costumes:p

citymama
08-30-2011, 01:15 PM
DD1 - bumblebee costume (http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_-1_770896_243959_27151%7C243752_girl%7Challoween_gi rl) from TCP that I bought for $16 and free ship yesterday! (Back-up - her witch costume from last year which barely fit then and is way too small this year, IMO, but she loves it)

DD2 - hand me down ladybug costume

DH wants to put together a bear get-up (bee-honey-bear) and I might do a flower head-dress (bee/ladybug-flower) if we are creative!

BabyDahl
08-30-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm not really big on characters, but at 4.5 months old, DD has a full head of dark, wavy hair and big brown eyes... she looks just like Snow White. Really, we had no choice ;)

amldaley
08-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Butterfly witch.

Black tee or turtle neck, black leggings. I scored a cheapy purple tutu and matching butterfly wings on a Facebook comment game last year for less than $10 for the set. I found a purple witches hat in the $1 bin at Target last year, too.

Hopefully, at age 3, she is still young enough for me to dictate her costume!

MamaMolly
08-30-2011, 01:52 PM
:applause: I love reading these threads. Such cute stuff!

Lula got to choose for both girls this year (Dolly is too little to care) and at first she wanted to be Tom and Jerry, then Tweety and Sylvester. With herself as Jerry/Tweety and little sis as the big cat. I bought the most of the makings for Tweety and sylvester, then just this week she decided she wanted to be a lion. I hadn't started on Tweetie's wings yet, so converting her yellow hoodie to a lion will be easy peasy.

So Lula will be a lion and Dolly will be a black cat with a white belly.

lmh2402
08-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Eight is my DS's favorite # right now too "8 trees, 8 firefight, 8 cars" ;) etc. That would neat if your DS was an octopus, would you make the costume?

yes, that's the plan. though i'm not at all crafty!

endlessheather
08-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Youngest DS is obsessed with robots so I'm glad we found one on ON. Oldest DS likes the bat by PBK but he changes his mind to Super Heroes every other week it seems. Hard to match something up with Robots that he will like so who knows.

sunshine873
08-30-2011, 03:55 PM
DD is going to be Minnie Mouse. We have some great ears with a red-sparkle bow & DD has some matching red sparkle shoes. I figured a black shirt/leotard & black tights would be the mouse part. Then I've been scouring the web looking for a red dress with white polka dots that doesn't cost $40. I think I'm going to end up making a tutu dress & glue some white polka dots onto it...

Other than that, we as a family are participating in a 10K on Halloween weekend. I've been racking my brain for what we could dress-up as. We are Green Bay Packer fans, so I think we're going to dress up in all of our cheesehead gear for the race (DD even has her own cheesehead hat.) Hopefully I can find a way to decorate the stroller to look like cheese too.

94bruin
08-30-2011, 06:15 PM

Another Luke and princess Leia. But, DS has wavered a bit on what he wanted to go as this year.

He wanted to be Luke and then he spied a General Grievous costume I was looking at on my computer. Not mommy's brightest moment looking at it when he was close to my computer. Anyway, I can't stand the idea of my sweet little 5year old boy going as General Greivous. Especially since his Catholic school has a big Halloween party every year, I can't see sending him to school in such a scarey costume. So, we made a deal. He will trade me all the candy he can't eat due to his dietary sensitives and I will buy him a toy General Grievous mask. And, he gets to go as Luke like he originally wanted and I will dress the baby up as a mini newborn princess Leia.;)

Last I checked, DD1 wants to be Princess Leia. I'm thinking that I can sew an outfit together. Today, I went on a research mission to Joanns. I think I have the fabric and pattern picked out.

Now I just have to make sure that DD1 won't change her mind.

Now I just have to figure out how to do her hair. DD just got a haircut this weekend. The old length would've been perfect to do a Leia hairdo. However, we had school pictures, so she really needed a haircut.

Trying to figure out how to dress DD2. We were jokingly toying around with either Yoda or R2D2. Is that too mean for DD2?

I hear you georgiegirl on not ever dressing up. DV & Queen Amidala *would* be the logical choices....

wimama
08-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Last I checked, DD1 wants to be Princess Leia. I'm thinking that I can sew an outfit together. Today, I went on a research mission to Joanns. I think I have the fabric and pattern picked out.

Now I just have to make sure that DD1 won't change her mind.

Now I just have to figure out how to do her hair. DD just got a haircut this weekend. The old length would've been perfect to do a Leia hairdo. However, we had school pictures, so she really needed a haircut.

Trying to figure out how to dress DD2. We were jokingly toying around with either Yoda or R2D2. Is that too mean for DD2?

I hear you georgiegirl on not ever dressing up. DV & Queen Amidala *would* be the logical choices....

They sell princess Leia hats on Etsy. That is my plan for the baby. I think it would be cute next year for DS and DD to go as C3PO and R2D2 either next year or the following year. It would be funny to see a little toddler toddling around in a R2D2 outfit next to a comparative very tall DS in a C3PO costume. So, I don't think R2D2 would be mean.

egoldber
08-30-2011, 06:34 PM
People it is AUGUST! AUGUST! What is WRONG with you?????????????????? :wink2:

No way, no how do I talk to my kids about Halloween until mid October. Otherwise they change their minds 40,000 times. Heck, last year younger DD changed her mind 3 times on Halloween day!

amandabea
08-30-2011, 07:45 PM

No way, no how do I talk to my kids about Halloween until mid October. Otherwise they change their minds 40,000 times. Heck, last year younger DD changed her mind 3 times on Halloween day!

Hahaha! So true.

I've been trying to talk DD into being a Lalaloopsy, but she has her heart set on Minnie Mouse. Doesn't really make sense since she has never bee into Minnie before.

swissair81
08-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Nothing, because we don't celebrate Halloween. However, I look around now to see what costumes I like, because we have a holiday that we dress up on in Feb/March. I try and snag costumes on sale after Halloween is over.

I was looking at the ON girls costumes. I love the cupcake and strawberry costumes.

carolinamama
08-30-2011, 09:54 PM

It is crazy!! But *I* love Halloween atleast as much as the kids. So it is all my doing - the kids will be dressed up as many times as I can, I take them for professional pics and we are planning a neighborhood pumpkin carving party at our house for this year. Did I mention that I :heartbeat: Halloween? ;)

MontrealMum
08-30-2011, 10:26 PM
DS is going to be a dragon this year. He and my dad picked out the costume together when we were down there visiting in Aug. It's super cute and I'm so excited! Not sure if DH and I will dress up or not - we never have before (with DS), but DS is now old enough to know what's going on, so we'll see.

TwinFoxes
08-30-2011, 10:50 PM

Mine brought it up! I think they saw pics of themselves from last year. Because they are three, they probably barely remember Halloween. I do think they remember our neighborhood Halloween festival which was pretty cool. I'm fully expecting to have to run out at the last moment to get some rare costume that they both have to have.

sste
08-30-2011, 11:17 PM

He, he. :) DS decided right off the bat when I brought it up a few weeks ago that he wanted a primary costume (ghost) and then he wanted to bring last year's spider costume along in case the ghost costume was uncomfortable or he got sick of it. "I want option of spider too! What if ghost become not comfortable? Or I change up my mind?"

So, I will be the lady with a baby bat, a ghost preschooler, lugging a largish spider costume in a garbage bag around . . .

citymama
08-30-2011, 11:36 PM
In reply to egoldber's wise comment, that's been my philosophy every year. Wait, bc they change their minds a miklion times. But then I'm the crazy lady trying to squeeze my giant 4 yr old into a sz 3 costume bc it's the only size left on the shelves in October. Or fishing thru the Halloween racks on Oct 29th bc I waited so long, sure that DD would change her mind at the end (she did, but probably bc I left the door wide open).

I saw the TCP costumes on sale with free ship on Monday, got DD to pick her costume, and I'm hoping bam, we're done! If she changes her mind in 2 months, you'll be the first to know....;)

crl
08-30-2011, 11:38 PM
If I wait, the costumes will all disappear!

DD is going to be Holly Hobby. Thank you to the posters who helped me find a way to use the Etsy dress I was coveting! She is just 17 months so too young to care and no changing her mind.

DS says he wants to be an Angry Bird. I am thinking I had better order that soon cause it might sell out.

Catherine

elizabethkott
08-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Last year, DH was Han Solo, I was Princess Leia, J was Luke and Stevie was Chewy.
This year, J is all into Spiderman, Batman, etc. I'm trying to convince him to be Batman, have Stevie as the Riddler, DH as Robin, and me as Catwoman. So far, he's really into Daddy as his sidekick, so I'm hoping this pans out!!!

melrose7
08-30-2011, 11:46 PM
DD1 is going to be a butterfly, DD2 is going to be a ladybug, and DS will be either a bee or a caterpillar. My mom will make all the costumes and already had to order the ladybug material since she couldn't find any in the store. DD2 has changed her mind a couple times but always comes bac to the ladybug. The just aren't the warmest costumes for the end of October. It could be freezing out, literally, or be nice out. You just never know.

KpbS
08-30-2011, 11:54 PM
DS1+DS2 having been talking about it as well. I have no idea why. It looks like I'll have a knight/ninja/self-designed superhero and Elmo :D DD is too young to choose but she might be a bunny or a butterfly.

tmahanes
08-31-2011, 08:50 PM
My first thought too was "holy crap it's August!!!"

But I think B might be Yoda because DH thought it was hilarious that B said Yoda for yogurt when he was first talking!

LBW
08-31-2011, 08:58 PM

No way, no how do I talk to my kids about Halloween until mid October. Otherwise they change their minds 40,000 times.
:yeahthat:

sunbeam312
08-31-2011, 10:39 PM
awww i loveeee halloween! so funn!! DS is going as a dragon, got it from old navy for $1.50 last year on clearance. :bouncy:

JoyNChrist
09-01-2011, 12:05 AM
I think Avery has decided on being a knight, with S as a princess and E as a dragon (so thanks to whoever suggested that on my thread). I'm gonna wait a week or two to order though just to make sure he sticks with it. ;)

iaam
09-01-2011, 02:08 AM
DS (3.5) picked out a robot costume for himself. I then ordered a bunch of robot themed stuff (pencils, erasers, bubbles, putty, temporary tattoos, activity books, robot toys) that we put into goody bags for his classmates at preschool. He is super excited! While we were assembling the goody bags, he said, "Mommy, my friends are going to love these treats"!

DD (17 months) will be a red dragon.

Both kids have been wearing their costumes and running around the house, declaring: we are ready for Halloween!

lizzywednesday
09-01-2011, 09:50 AM
This year, DH and I have a difference of opinion on what DD should dress as.

I am coveting this costume from PBK:

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/puffy-owl-costume-toddler/

But I spent HALF that on her costume last year (including shipping and personalization) so I'm having a lot of trouble justifying it, though I do have a rebate debit card from my recent contact lens purchase, so I could use that...

We also had the idea that we'd coordinate costumes with my nephews who are 4 months older and 6 months younger than DD, but neither my sister nor my SIL were exactly over the moon about dressing the kids as superheroes and my sister wouldn't commit to Star Wars (it'd be adorable to have 'em dress as Luke, Han and R2, wouldn't it???) ... *sigh*

So, for now, we're just going to do photos in TCP candy-tummy sleepers:

http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_-1_770943_245044_132335|200518|237865_place%20shops |Halloween|newborn%200-24%20mos_placeshops (I got DD's already for $8 at the Outlet.)

ray7694
09-03-2011, 11:06 PM
My ds who is 7 yo is going to be a mad scientist. He loves science stuff so it fits him well. Anyone have ideas for something my 3 yo dd could be to go with it?

HIU8
09-03-2011, 11:08 PM
DS wants to be either super mario or bumble bee (transformer). I got both his constumes for $5 at a consignment show--love those finds.

DD is going to be snow white. I found it at Costco 2 weeks ago.

JoyNChrist
09-03-2011, 11:24 PM
My ds who is 7 yo is going to be a mad scientist. He loves science stuff so it fits him well. Anyone have ideas for something my 3 yo dd could be to go with it?

Frankenstein (not very girly though)
A white mouse costume (scientist, lab rat, ya know?)

newnana
09-04-2011, 10:13 AM
DS wants to be a mailman. Any ideas where I can find a cheap mail bag?
I would go to hobby lobby or the like and getcanvas bag (like a smallreusableshopping bag or one of those lands end canvas bags). That are typically about $2. Then buy a small bottle of blue paint and stencil MAIL on it. Bonus that it can be a treat bag.

Dd decided months ago that she wants to be a rainbow princess. She made some sketches for me and we went to hobby lobby Friday night. Did I mention I don't sew? It's already done. Huge tutu in rainbow pattern with a sparkly purple top. She was going to make the tutu but ended up helping instead because she was too frustrated. Now we are working on accessories.

She typically makes her own costume. When she was 4 she desperately wanted to be a house that she made herself. So we let her. It was awesome, my favorite costume ever (and this is from a mom that love,love,loves Halloween and is willing to fork out some cash for a well made costume since we play dress up at every available opportunity).

I have no worries that she'll change her mind. That's not her style. Whoopee!