PDA

View Full Version : Menstrual Cup?

EQ_Bo_07
08-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Just heard about this from a friend. Anyone use these? Pros?Cons? Sounds like a good idea, but is it too good to be true?

DietCokeLover
08-30-2011, 09:38 AM
I've been using the Diva Cup for 3+ years now (thanks to the ladies here). I will never use anything else. There is a bit of a learning curve to inserting and taking it out, but once you get it, it's a breeze. I haven't purchased feminine products since I bought my Diva.

Pear
08-30-2011, 09:42 AM
I've been using a Diva cup for about 6 years. It takes a few days to get the hang of it and I highly recommend trimming the stem. By the end of your first period you will probably share my amazement that most woman are still using tampons and pads.

EQ_Bo_07
08-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks. Sounds like a good thing to try.

pastrygirl
08-30-2011, 10:39 AM
I've been using one for years, too. LOVE IT. I use cloth pads for backup, too. I used to use the Diva, but it didn't work for my postpartum for some reason. I switched to the Lunette and like it much better.

fortato
08-30-2011, 09:34 PM
VIVA LA DIVA!! I will NEVER use a tampon again. I started using my Diva cup about 4 years ago, and once I got it figured out, I LOVED it. I have had the same box of tampons for 4 years.

artvandalay
08-30-2011, 09:40 PM
VIVA LA DIVA!! I will NEVER use a tampon again. I started using my Diva cup about 4 years ago, and once I got it figured out, I LOVED it. I have had the same box of tampons for 4 years.

:yeahthat:

Can I steal "Viva La Diva!!" for my new siggie? :hysterical:

I love my Diva Cup. I had a bit of trouble at first, but now I'm a pro. I didn't like the two folds that they show in the pamphlet. I found another fold online, and since finding it, inserting it is easy-peasy!

I do use a back up pad on my first day, because my flow is pretty rough.

ETA: I hate the word "flow"

Twin Mom
08-30-2011, 10:22 PM

:yeahthat:

Love the Diva Cup. Haven't used a tampon in years. I do still use liners though in case I don't insert it well. Sometimes I leak a little bit.

I am thinking about getting the Mirena and one of my concerns is that you can't use the Diva Cup with it.

ShanaMama
08-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Ok, not to hijack, but can I ask a question I've always wondered about the Diva? Isn't is totally gross? Not to be too TMI but aren't you essentially taking out a cup full of blood? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

boltfam
08-30-2011, 10:29 PM
I have been using the Moon Cup for a couple of months. I am still having some issues as far as the fit, so I think I haven't quite figured it out yet but it is still much better than tampons. I might order the Diva Cup, as it seems to have more love on these boards.

AngelaS
08-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Ok, not to hijack, but can I ask a question I've always wondered about the Diva? Isn't is totally gross? Not to be too TMI but aren't you essentially taking out a cup full of blood? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep, you are. But you don't have to look at it. :P You can pull it out and immediately dump it into the toilet. :) Then wipe it out w/some tp and wash it and then there's very little mess. :)

boltfam

Yep, that is precisely what you're doing. It is a little gross to me but not much different than a tampon.

infomama
I :heartbeat: the Diva cup. I will NEVER go back to tampons.

wildfire
08-31-2011, 02:51 AM
I have a pretty blue Lunette. It changed my life. Seriously.

I did a lot of research before settling on the Lunette, there are some good sites that compare the cups out there based on volume, stiffness, etc. And it is no more mess than an OB tampon without an applicator, which is what I used to use.

oneplustwo
08-31-2011, 10:59 PM
I've been using a Diva cup for over a year now. I remember thinking about it for ages (and ages), finally buying one, and having it sit, unused, for maybe 6 months. Couldn't get up the courage to actually use it. Yes, it intimidated me! Finally made up my mind to use up all my disposable pads and OBs to force myself to use it. There was definitely a learning curve, but that's what my cloth pads were for. Now I wonder why it took me so long, LOL. Diva cup works great for me.

I love viva la Diva ~ great motto!

buddyleebaby
09-01-2011, 05:42 PM
VIVA LA DIVA!!

Hey, that's my line! :wink2:
I forged a river in that bitch.

I want to be in a commercial for the diva cup. I want to write sonnets about it. DH does not understand because he hasn't suffered like I have. But I will never go back. Life changing.

oneontheway
09-04-2011, 03:44 PM
This sounds a little strange but is there any chance the cup can fall out?

mommylamb
09-04-2011, 04:29 PM
I use a diva cup now. Pre-DS I had a Keeper. Both have been great. I don't find it gross at all, but then again, I've been doing this off and on (mostly on) for over a decade.

There are typically two sizes for these sorts of cups, a pre-child an post-child. I suppose if you tried to use the pre-child cup after you had given birth this could be a problem, but if you use the right cup I don't think this could happen unless you were really really lose, and if so you probably have bigger problems.

Melaine
09-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Love it. the only thing I hate is how long it took me to find it.

oneontheway
09-04-2011, 07:22 PM
There are typically two sizes for these sorts of cups, a pre-child an post-child. I suppose if you tried to use the pre-child cup after you had given birth this could be a problem, but if you use the right cup I don't think this could happen unless you were really really lose, and if so you probably have bigger problems.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree that would be a problem! Thanks for the info!

mom2binsd
09-05-2011, 12:13 AM
I appear to be the only one who has had UTI's as a result...I really love my DIVA but after 3 UTI's in a row (and then since I've stopped using it none) I'm pretty sure the DIVA must have been sitting somehow to cause them (which my OB's thinks is probably the issue).

oneontheway
09-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Sorry this if this is tmi but I was reading on the Lunette website and it said that some people need to remove the cup to defecate. Anyone had to do this? I'm thinking that would be very inconvenient.

I never even new these existed before this post. Where do buy them? I saw Amazon carries them... do you think they are legit? Lunette also said that there are unauthorized copies being sold as Lunettes. They had a listing on their website of vendors but I am not familiar with any of the stores.

DietCokeLover
09-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Sorry this if this is tmi but I was reading on the Lunette website and it said that some people need to remove the cup to defecate. Anyone had to do this? I'm thinking that would be very inconvenient.

I never even new these existed before this post. Where do buy them? I saw Amazon carries them... do you think they are legit? Lunette also said that there are unauthorized copies being sold as Lunettes. They had a listing on their website of vendors but I am not familiar with any of the stores.

I have never had to remove my Diva for that purpose.

Some health food stores carry them. I bought my Diva at iherb.com about 3 years ago.

oneontheway
09-05-2011, 08:22 AM
I have never had to remove my Diva for that purpose.

Some health food stores carry them. I bought my Diva at iherb.com about 3 years ago.

Thanks DietCokeLover! Perhaps the issue only arises when people have other issues :)

Melaine
09-05-2011, 08:32 AM

I have never had that problem. That would be inconvenient. If you are very constipated, I can imagine a possible issue. I do not have that problem though.

I also got mine from Iherb, it was super cheap at the time.

oneontheway
09-05-2011, 01:58 PM
I have never had that problem. That would be inconvenient. If you are very constipated, I can imagine a possible issue. I do not have that problem though.

I also got mine from Iherb, it was super cheap at the time.

I'll have to check out Iherb. Thanks!

pastrygirl
09-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Sorry this if this is tmi Yes, I do have to remove it. I always had to with my Diva, too. But I have troubles in that department.

doberbrat
09-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Sorry this if this is tmi but I was reading on the Lunette website and it said that some people need to remove the cup to defecate. Anyone had to do this? I'm thinking that would be very inconvenient..

I do. I'll admit its not very convenient but I'll tell you that the diva's pro's s FAR outweigh the cons. I always had to remove tampons every time I went to teh bathroom. I couldnt stand the ick of a wet string. So I'm saving ALOT $$.

And not having to change tampons w/my kids in the bathroom on outtings is priceless.

zoestargrove
09-07-2011, 07:08 PM
I've had a mooncup for 3 years and I love it. I would never go back.

for tmi
I think if you were really pushing while defecating, you might end up shifting the cup out of it's comfortable position and that is why some remove it. That hasn't been an issue for me. hope that makes sense.

mommylamb
09-07-2011, 07:10 PM
I've never had to remove the diva (or the keeper back in the day when I had that one) to poop. If it shifts some I just readjust it.

MamaSnoo
09-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Sorry to hijack, but I have been thinking about one of these things.

WRT the pre/post child thing, does it matter if you had a NSVD or a c-section? I guess my question is, if you had a full-term pregnancy, delivered by c-section with minimal to no labor, would you still size up or go with the pre-pregnancy version? Their website says the type of delivery does not matter.....do you ladies who use them agree?

Also, how similar is the experience to using a disposable cup? I had tried one of these (Instead...I think was the name) about 15 years ago, and I liked it ok, but as I recall the cost was high, so I went back to pads/tampons. Now, I really like the idea that the Diva would be reusable (cost + environment).

boltfam
09-08-2011, 04:06 PM

I never even new these existed before this post. Where do buy them? I saw Amazon carries them... do you think they are legit?.

I remove my mooncup. I probably don't "have" to but I do. It is somewhat inconvenient but it comes in and out so fast, and it doesn't really phase me anymore.

I do a buying club through Frontier and got my mooncup super cheap. They carry the Diva Cup and maybe the Lunette, too. I have only seen the Diva cup in my health food store.

fortato
09-11-2011, 03:26 PM
I don't remove the cup to poop... never needed to.

fortato
09-11-2011, 03:27 PM

No, but there have been times that I've laughed so hard that I thought it was going to shoot out... but no. It can't fall out.

EQ_Bo_07
09-13-2011, 09:49 AM
Just curious- with so many pros, can you still be intimate with it in as well?

AngelaS
09-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Just curious- with so many pros, can you still be intimate with it in as well?

Um, no. It's kinda blocking the whole passageway....

Melaine
09-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Sorry to hijack, but I have been thinking about one of these things.

WRT the pre/post child thing, does it matter if you had a NSVD or a c-section? I guess my question is, if you had a full-term pregnancy, delivered by c-section with minimal to no labor, would you still size up or go with the pre-pregnancy version? Their website says the type of delivery does not matter.....do you ladies who use them agree?

Also, how similar is the experience to using a disposable cup? I had tried one of these (Instead...I think was the name) about 15 years ago, and I liked it ok, but as I recall the cost was high, so I went back to pads/tampons. Now, I really like the idea that the Diva would be reusable (cost + environment).

I had an early delivery via c section and I still use the second size.

pastrygirl
09-13-2011, 01:26 PM
I still used the second size after my c-section... but had to go to the first size after my VBAC! Strange, indeed.

artvandalay
09-13-2011, 01:51 PM

I used the Instead years ago (it was light purple, right?). I MUCH prefer the Diva Cup. With the Instead there is still so much waste. With the Diva Cup there is no waste at all, you empty it and stick it back in. Much more environmentally friendly. However I found inserting the Instead easier. It took me a little while to get the hang of inserting the Diva but now it's no problem.

I am pretty sure the Diva Cup holds more. I also am pretty sure that you could have sex while wearing an Instead (but you cannot with the Diva Cup).