PDA

View Full Version : Would you join CSA after a major drought?

MommyofAmaya
08-30-2011, 10:31 AM
I am considering joining a new CSA but hesitate because we have had very little rain in SE Texas this summer. I'm not exactly sure how this will affect the upcoming Fall shares. Any ideas or BTDT? First shares are expected beginning of Oct., the area still remains in a drought as of now. Are there any vegetables that thrive under dry conditions? I am definitely not a green thumb.

soon2b4
08-30-2011, 10:41 AM
My sister joined one this summer in Austin and has been getting great boxes of squash, okra, tomatoes, eggplant, herbs, etc. throughout the drought there. Not sure how it is going to affect the fall boxes, but they have had plenty of good veggies during this long, hot summer.
Not sure if that helps...

MommyofAmaya
08-30-2011, 11:02 AM
That is very encouraging and exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks for your response!

Snow mom
08-30-2011, 12:00 PM
What types of water restrictions are you under? I know here in Austin we are going to stage 2 water restrictions and I imagine this will impact CSAs a bit. I'm not sure how regulated they are by these restrictions, but I know that a friend who has a community garden plot is only able to grow things by dumping a ton of water on their garden almost daily. If any regulations prevent this watering I'm sure all his plants would be dead within a week.

ETA: while some veggies do like hot dry conditions I think our current weather is beyond that without lots of supplemental watering. Even my drought tolerant plants are dying or going dormant in this heat without any rain all summer.

brittone2
08-30-2011, 12:24 PM
nak-
When I was a CSA member during a major drought one year in NC, our farmer did really well as she had a pond on site that she could use as an irrigation source.

I would think the water restrictions are for those on public water. I am uncertain how they work but I can't think of too many places I've lived where the farmers would be using city/public water vs. their own well or other sources of water. Of course, there's a risk of running their well dry, but there are also rain barrels, etc. Why not ask how they are dealing w/ the drought? IME, most farmers are really open and will talk to you about how they handle their crops during challenging times.

eta: I realize rain barrels aren't going to be of much help in TX these days!