PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a DC who wears a gait plate in their shoes?

HIU8
08-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Took DD to the ped podiatrist yesterday. She walks with her feet pointed outward (right worse than left). Podiatrist said she is uber flexible laterally. He called what she does out toeing. He wants her to wear a gait plate in her shoes. He said 4 is to young for orthodics (they normally don't start kids in them until 6 or 7). Does anyone have experience with gait plates? Should I expect DD to have issues getting used to them?

amldaley
08-30-2011, 01:36 PM
No experience yet but wondering what lead to your getting your DD a referral to the podiatrist?

DD walks pigeon toed and one ankle sort of lists inboard. We thought it was from her time in a pavlik harness as a baby and she would grow out of it but no such luck. Her Dr made note of it on her 2 year exam but the 3 year exam was done by a very young PA and they did not do any of the physical exercises with her at all. It was really more of an interview.

Just wondering what your experience with making the determination to see the podiatrist was? (If you don't mind sharing, that is!)

HIU8
08-30-2011, 01:47 PM
My DD has always walked with her feet pointed outward. One is more severe than the other. We noticed it when she was learning to walk. Ped said to wait and see b/c a lof times it corrects itself. DH and I noticed over the past few months it got bad again. It runs in my family (my grandmother and my uncle walk that way and it was never corrected). DD was getting sores on her big toe b/c she is almost walking on the side of it rather than on the bottom of her foot. The podiatrist thought hers was not really bad and that kids can outgrow this, but she may need some help doing so.

I think I'm also hyper aware of things due to family history and watching my DN who walks and steps on her toes with each step and she is badly bowlegged (with no plans for correction).

anyway, I also had foot issues and wore orthodics as a kid and it was very beneficial for me. Ped told me that a podiatrist was the first stop I should make b/c an orthopedist, who could also diagnose, would send us to a podiatrist for treatment anyway.

amldaley
08-30-2011, 01:49 PM
My DD has always walked with her feet pointed outward. One is more severe than the other. We noticed it when she was learning to walk. Ped said to wait and see b/c a lof times it corrects itself. DH and I noticed over the past few months it got bad again. It runs in my family (my grandmother and my uncle walk that way and it was never corrected). DD was getting sores on her big toe b/c she is almost walking on the side of it rather than on the bottom of her foot. The podiatrist thought hers was not really bad and that kids can outgrow this, but she may need some help doing so.

I think I'm also hyper aware of things due to family history and watching my DN who walks and steps on her toes with each step and she is badly bowlegged (with no plans for correction).

anyway, I also had foot issues and wore orthodics as a kid and it was very beneficial for me. Ped told me that a podiatrist was the first stop I should make b/c an orthopedist, who could also diagnose, would send us to a podiatrist for treatment anyway.

Thanks for the info! When we mentioned it to her ortho a year ago, he blew us off...so I guess I know better why now!!!!

Hope it goes well for your DD!

chays
08-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Have you gone to see Ed at Shoe Train in Potomac? I have seen him give little ones orthotics. The wait for him can be LONG though, so I'd get there before they open in the morning and wait.
ETA: If she is pronating that badly that she is walking on the inside of her foot, you should definitely see Ed ASAP. If orthotics can help, he'd be the one to know!

wimama
08-30-2011, 02:01 PM
My DS wears UCBL type (or heel stabilizer) pediatric orthotics. He has flat feet and complains of fatigue and foot & leg pain, when he doesn't wear orthotics. Gait plate type orthotics are generally only used for intoeing and outtoeing. UCBL type of pediatric orthotics are used for other disorders. All pediatric orthotics come up higher on the sides than traditional adult type of orthotics.

HIU8
08-30-2011, 04:38 PM
I have been getting shoes from Ed since I learned to walk and he didn't have his own store yet. I also worked for him as a teenager (cementing the "cookies" into shoes). He and I know each other well. I actually miss working there. The ped podiatrist said that when DD is a couple years older that he suggests we get the orthodics from Ed (rather than do custom fits). For now he said that she is to young for traditional orthodics and doesn't need the pediatric full support type.

but, yeah, Ed is amazing.