PDA

View Full Version : Adult Couple costume for costume wedding?

MommyofAmaya
08-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Just found out that an old friend decided to have a costume wedding on 10/28. DH and I are not costume-types and I am having a difficult time coming up with ideas for this one. Ideally, we would both wear Dia De Los Muertos masks and be done with it. The kids are invited to the wedding too, so, that idea is out. They would be terrified. My only other idea so far, is Frida and Diego. I think we can pull that one off pretty well. Oh and maybe Sebastian could be the monkey?

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Twoboos
08-30-2011, 11:17 AM
If you're Star Wars fans, there are plenty of options there. :) Leia/Han Solo, Amidala/Anikan, Yoda/Ewoks (for the kids), etc.

(My girls have been playing SW for two straight days, so it's my first thought!)

elbenn
08-30-2011, 11:22 AM
I saw on another thread a suggestion for a baker and cupcakes or other treats. I think you guys could go as the bakers/pastry chefs and the kids could be cupcakes. It would be really cute!

BabbyO
08-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Is there a specific theme (besides Day of the Dead/Halloween) or is it just wear a costume?

DH and I have lots of fun at costume parties...and usually go with goodwill/thrift store finds.

We've done:
Many Comicbook Characters (DH is a comic geek) - Black Widow, Nick Fury, Sandman, Elektra, Green Lantern
Daphne from Scooby Doo (Ironic/funny because my name is Daphne)
80's couple
70's couple
20's couple (flapper dress; suit, fedora, spats for DH)
Renaissance couple
Last year we went to a party as Chef Ramsey & Joan from Mad Men

Usually our costumes reflect a bit of what we're into at the time...or they match a theme for the party.

If the kids are invited could you do something family related like the Brady Bunch, Addams Family, Munsters, etc?? Heck, you could even do the Draper's from early seasons of Mad Men - Betty Don, Sally & Bobby.

Fairy
08-30-2011, 11:38 AM
I like BabyO's ideas above, but also what about Cinderella & the Prince? The kids could be little princesses? That's very weddingy. You could be Woody & Jessy, and the kids could be the aliens. To keep things very very easy, you could all go as black cats. Ears and tails are cheap, outfits are simply black from head to toe. Personally, i think Han & Leia and the Ewoks are your best bet.

JoyNChrist
08-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Somebody suggested in my thread a knight, princess, and dragon. Maybe you and DD could be princesses, with DH as the knight and DS as the dragon.

ThreeofUs
08-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Fish and chips, with various dips. :)

I like the court with dragon idea, though, because it's easy and kids love the costumes.

MommyofAmaya
08-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the ideas, it has certainly given me things to consider. We are not Star Wars (or Mad Men) fans, and I don't think I can pull off a princess (even if I could, that almost seems worse than wearing white to a wedding) ;) So far I like the baker and the cupcakes idea, though cupcakes sound a bit hot. If things proceed as they have been it will probably still be 90degrees come October.

This is a VERY fringe wedding at a mostly outdoor location, so anything goes.

crl
08-30-2011, 12:43 PM
I'd dress everyone in 1970s style clothes and call it a day.

Catherine

TwinFoxes
08-30-2011, 01:05 PM
I don't think I can pull off a princess (even if I could, that almost seems worse than wearing white to a wedding)

I thought the same thing!

I like crl's idea, 70s family and call it a day. It seems like a lot of work! Or, I'd put us all in matching jersey's and say we were sports fans. :)

gatorsmom
08-30-2011, 01:39 PM
If you are looking for something easy, and you are Harry Potter fans, how about you and DH wearing black and then buying capes and either a Death Eater mask or a witch's hat off Amazon? You could go as Professor McGonagal and your DH could be a Death Eater. Your kids could be Harry or Hermione. You'd just need to get a kid's cape (and possible Harry Potter glasses) off Amazon and they would need a magic wand. That would be really easy. and fun.

lowrioh
08-30-2011, 02:04 PM
DH and I went as Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf one year. You could dress the family as Riding Hood, Bad Wolf, Grandma and the Woodsman.

ETA: you could also do Wizard of Oz...Dorthy, Tin Man, Lion and Scarecrow...

tribe pride
08-30-2011, 02:27 PM
I was also thinking Wizard of Oz. Besides the main characters, your kids could also be munchkins.

Sticking with movie themes (and depending on how much effort you want to put into pulling together these costumes), you could do:
Mary Poppins, Burt, and the 2 kids (Jane and Michael)
Wendy, Captain Hook, and Peter Pan and Tinkerbell for the kids
Snow White, Prince Charming, and 2 dwarfs for the kids
Maria, Captain von Trapp, and 2 of the kids
nursery rhyme characters (Jack and Jill, Little Bo Peep, etc.)

Anything you could dress up as that has special relevance to the bride and groom (their school mascot, a place where they met or have lived, etc.)?

Or just all dress up as farmers, cowboys, sports fans, medieval ladies and knights, etc. as other people have suggested, if you want to keep it simple.

Sorry, my suggestions are kind of random!

SnuggleBuggles
08-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Super heros? Batman and Batgirl?

Beth

happymom
08-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the ideas, it has certainly given me things to consider. We are not Star Wars (or Mad Men) fans, and I don't think I can pull off a princess (even if I could, that almost seems worse than wearing white to a wedding) ;) So far I like the baker and the cupcakes idea, though cupcakes sound a bit hot. If things proceed as they have been it will probably still be 90degrees come October.

This is a VERY fringe wedding at a mostly outdoor location, so anything goes.

Well if its supposed to be hot and outdoors, how about doing a Hawaiin heme? Easy and fun. Just pick up a couple leis and grass skirts from party city. Put a hibiscus flower in your hair and the girls, and have DH wear a hawaiin shirt. If you're feeling daring, theres always coconut bras too :)