PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to break this habit? – toddler sleep issues

TwinMama2B
08-30-2011, 04:15 PM
I’m hoping that someone has experienced something similar to this and can share advice, as we are really struggling with this. Both our DDs have been fantastic sleepers since about 10 ½ weeks. Both have always been self-soothers, that you could put down awake, say “night-night” to and then leave the room and they get themselves to sleep. We have a solid bedtime routine that they know and enjoy and have never had to rock or cuddle anyone to get them down.

Very abruptly about 4 months ago (around 20 months old) one of our DDs developed what our ped is calling separation anxiety, completely out of the blue. It started with a very clear fear of bedtime and of being left alone. We tried CIO, and after hours of crying/screaming and hysterics to the point of vomiting we abandoned that idea and sought advice from our ped. She suggested we stay in the room until DD falls asleep, sneak out and then if she wakes up during the night, go in immediately, don’t pick her up, get her back to sleep by rubbing her back, etc and again sneak out once she’s asleep. Many nights it takes multiple attempts to get her back to sleep and often one of us sleeping on their bedroom floor to get DD to settle down after a mid-night wake up. If she wakes up and we’re not there it’s full-on hysterics immediately and she can no longer settle herself down again. She’s also now waking up for the day anywhere from 1 to 1 ½ hours earlier than previously so more often than not we bring her into our bed while we get more rest and she usually falls asleep for awhile longer or occupies herself with a doll or book. Same exact issue/process with naps at home, but NO issue with naps at daycare (possibly b/c there’s always a teacher in the room?)

Fast forward a few months… DH is now traveling 3-4 days a week, I’m a FT+ WOH mama, and in my overwhelmed, sleep-deprived, patience-waning state, rather than battling it out with DD over and over again in the middle of the night, I’ve often given in and taken her to bed with me just so I can get through the day in a half-functioning manner. DH and I know we have fostered this bad habit, and while we talk with her every day about sleeping in her own bed all night, our smart little DD is effectively playing our weakness when we just can’t take the screaming or up-all-night routine any longer. The girls are in the same room and we feel so badly for our other DD who is woken by this process nearly every single night. She doesn't get upset by it all though, and will sit quietly in the morning and play in her crib until we come get her up, completely opposite of her sister. At their recent 2 year check-up our ped now suggests to let her CIO, but that still results in hours of crying/screaming and hysterics to the point of vomiting, every single night.

So, overarching question of how do we break this habit of getting into bed with us and teach her to (1) get herself to sleep once again self-soothe, and (2) stay in bed longer in the morning until it’s time to get up? Has anyone else BTDT with this type of situation? Many thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!!!

hoodlims
09-01-2011, 06:17 PM
UGH - so sorry to hear this! Sounds terrible! Does your child have a lovey or something to hold onto? How about a night light? I think since they are getting older, things may scare them more and it would be nice to have a little reassurance. My own toddler is VERY attached to her little nighttime crib belongings - two cat loveys and a couple of blankets. I think it helps comfort her to know they are there.

traciann
09-01-2011, 08:10 PM
I would do CIO again. The problem with you rubbing backs or sleeping in the room is a crutch for them. When they wake up and you are not there it starts the cycle of crying again. I would either do the 5-10-15-20 checkup method for as long as you need to. Or don't check in with them at all. Crying doesn't hurt them, they are just mad. If they throw up I would change the sheets and put them back to bed. I would also consider moving the other child to a pack n play in another room until the sleep is fixed for the other dd.

TwinMama2B
09-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the thoughts and advice!

Her lovey is her paci - well one in the mouth, and one in each hand (another habit we'll tackle down the road), and she always has a baby doll and blanket in her crib too.

Over the long weekend we introduced the Teach Me Time Alarm clock, that glows green when it's time to get up. She gets the concept and is ok if we're in there with her, but again when we leave she freaks out. I tried CIO early this morning to keep her in her crib for the last half hour until the clock turned green and while I finished getting ready for work... she cried the entire time but I stuck with it. I'm much better at CIO than DH and I absolutely agree that we need to do that more to get her to self-soothe. Many thanks!!!