PDA

View Full Version : Mirena, Nuva Ring and your cycle

Claki
08-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Had my postpartum check-up today. No sign of ovulation yet. I'm fairly sure I want to use Mirena for birth control. I am breastfeeding and my supply is ample. My OB gave me Nuva Ring samples and said to use one or two until I am twelve weeks postpartum, then when I get my menstrual bleeding from the Nuva Ring he will insert the Mirena. He said that it's best to insert when you are bleeding.

Anyone else heard that before? I would rather not use Nuva Ring if I don't have to.

cckwmh
08-30-2011, 07:32 PM
I had my mirena inserted at 8 weeks pp, prior to ovulation and return of my cycle. I never had any bleeding at all the 5 years I had it. I think i skipped over the initial spotting that is common because I was breast feeding.

lalasmama
08-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Our clinic prefers it. Your cervical os (the opening) is open a little more, which makes it a little easier to insert the device....

That being said, we don't require it, and we would rather get it in sooner rather than waiting on a period. We happily put them in at 6 weeks postpartum.

Octobermommy
08-30-2011, 11:14 PM
It is easier to insert while bleeding but it is not required. If you don't feel comfortable with nuva ring then just say you would prefer not to use it. It should not be a big deal.