PDA

View Full Version : Spare a few PTs for little VT?

marie
08-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Just a shameless beg for PTs for VT. Some of our communities are hurting very badly and could use whatever mojo you have.

There are towns close to me that are just getting road access (very rough, unpaved town roads). The gas station is out of gas, they don't have power or phones and I heard today that it will take 3-6 weeks to get power restored to them.

Farmers are hurting. Crops that were flooded by river water are considered contaminated and cannot be sold. The fields that are flooded cannot be used for crops for 60 days. It's devastating.

On the bright side, the community spirit here is overwhelming. Volunteers are showing up to clean up businesses, schools, farms, and neighbors' houses. Road crews are doing amazing work.

So, if you could spare some good thoughts for my fellow VTers, I'd appreciate it!

liamsmom
08-30-2011, 09:59 PM
:grouphug: Sending many P&PT to VT, VT BBB'ers and my ILs.

willow33
08-30-2011, 10:06 PM
I lived in VT for 7 years so it will always have a special place in my heart! Sending tons of P & PT right now!!

MamaMolly
08-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Hugs, guys! P & PT on the way!

ellies mom
08-30-2011, 10:08 PM
You guys have been in my thoughts all day. I get all teary thinking of the damage done around the state. I know there were some attempts at harvest rescuing in the Burlington area (not flooded at the time but flooding was expected, hence the rescue) but I don't know how much people were able to save.

So far, my friends and family have escaped relatively unscathed but not everyone has power restored (my cousin in southern NH was happy to discover that her blender plugs to their generator, in that twisty straw sort of way).

crl
08-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Prayers for recovery!

Catherine

SkyrMommy
08-30-2011, 10:17 PM
We've been in touch with good friends in VT who are hanging in there and thinking of everyone who's facing such devestation. Many, many prayers and good wishes for strength from us! :grouphug:

mom2binsd
08-30-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm a UVM alum, it breaks my heart to see all that water pouring down the streets and watching that covered bridge go down was so sad. But, Vermonters are some of the most amazing folk and they will bounce back!

Prayers that the basics are returned to most who are lacking them asap!

MontrealMum
08-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Sending lots of P&PT to our neighbors to the south! :grouphug:

jgenie
08-31-2011, 12:48 AM
Sending lots of P & PT. :grouphug:

amldaley
08-31-2011, 06:49 AM
I saw some news footage and was shocked that VT just seems to be ignored largely by the media. It looks horrendous. P & PT for the people of VT affected by Hurricane Irene.

sidmand
08-31-2011, 08:03 AM
I've seen some of the devastation. P&PT coming their way.

jamesmom
08-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Sending lots of P&PTs.

alien_host
08-31-2011, 12:42 PM
:grouphug: and lots of positive thoughts. I saw it on the news last night and it really is heartbreaking! Stay safe.

AnnieW625
08-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Sending lots of vibes to the residents of Vermont. DH's grandma and family live way up on an island in Lake Champlain right near Canada, and just over the border in New York so we have been thinking about them a lot although I think most of the damage is in the middle and lower parts of the state. The ILs have a trip to Boston, VT, and NY planned for next week to see DH's aunt who has cancer and DH's grandma so it should be interesting hearing about how they got around VT, if they can at all.

marie
08-31-2011, 07:58 PM
Annie-
You are right - the southern and central parts were hit the worst, so your IL's shouldn't have a problem getting from Boston to upper Lake Champlain area via 89.

The guard arrived today in some of the isolated communities and has started delivering water, blankets, and MREs by air where necessary. Some roads have been fixed enough for emergency vehicle use only.

Should anyone be headed up here for the holiday weekend, please consider bringing clothing donations. There are several drives set up for this weekend across the state.

thanks for the PTs! :waving4:

KathyN115
08-31-2011, 08:32 PM
P&PT headed north! Hope things get back to normal soon.

sunshine873
08-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Wow, such devastation. :( Lots of P&PT.

larig
08-31-2011, 11:03 PM
big PTs for Vermont.

liz
09-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Adding my P&PT for everyone in VT