PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with dentist 'sealing' teeth? (long)

ShanaMama
08-30-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm on a roll with the dental questions tonight. I saw a massive cavity growing by the day in DD1's tooth, so I took her in for an exam even though it hasn't been 6 months since her last one. She has 4 (!!!) cavities, including the huge one which is almost at the nerve. I am so frustrated. She has a real sweet tooth although I try to restrict her sugary foods as much as possible. We brush & floss nightly but only with water (see my toothpaste thread). She inherited these horrible teeth from DH & I don't know what else to do (besides blame him ;) ).
The dentist pointed out that her 6 year molars are in & have very deep grooves = cavity prone. IIRC these are permanent teeth. He suggested sealant to prevent cavities on the molars. It's $76 per tooth. This is on top of all the other fillings ($$$$ we are self pay). I really want to do it. I think it's a worthwhile investment. She is practically doomed to get cavities in these molars.
So has anybody done it? I have a decent level of confidence in the dentist, meaning I think he is a good doctor but I pay through the nose. I tried leaving once to go to a cheaper dentist & was horrified by the care there, so I came back here. I am really looking for affirmation that this is the right choice. Anybody BTDT?

Kymberley
08-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Do it! When done properly, they prevent cavities on the chewing surfaces, the most common place for decay. The dentist will check them during every routine visit to make sure they are intact and functioning properly. I had all of mine sealed and didn't have a cavity until I was 22.

ShanaMama
08-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Do it! When done properly, they prevent cavities on the chewing surfaces, the most common place for decay. The dentist will check them during every routine visit to make sure they are intact and functioning properly. I had all of mine sealed and didn't have a cavity until I was 22.

I am quite sure they will be done properly. I am very happy with the dentist's skill (just not so thrilled with his prices!) I would seriously consider sealing her adult teeth as they come in.
Do they only cover the chewing surface or the whole tooth? Most of her cavities are showing up between teeth, even though we are flossing. Would that area still be vulnerable?

mom2one
My DS (age 7) just had this done over the summer. Our insurance paid for part of it, so it was not that bad $ wise.

Twoboos
Both my DDs have very cavity prone teeth, with the deep grooves you mentioned. They have both had sealants done. It's pretty quick, DD2 just had some done a couple of weeks ago.

I would say it's worth it!!

bubbaray
08-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Yes, my DD#1 had it done recently on her lower molars and is getting it done in October on her upper ones.

Kymberley
08-30-2011, 10:37 PM
I am quite sure they will be done properly. I am very happy with the dentist's skill (just not so thrilled with his prices!) I would seriously consider sealing her adult teeth as they come in.
Do they only cover the chewing surface or the whole tooth? Most of her cavities are showing up between teeth, even though we are flossing. Would that area still be vulnerable?

Only the chewing surfaces are sealed. She most definitely needs to continue to floss, and I would look for a Xylitol based toothpaste if you don't find a fluoride one that you like. Also, I would look into Xylitol based chewing gum. I saw that our Walmart is now carrying BreathRX chewing gum. One of the first three ingredients is xylitol, which is a "cavity killer".

If her main areas of concern are between the teeth, I would see if your hygienist would demonstrate for her and you the best way to floss her teeth. I know that sounds silly, but there is a proper way to floss. If you'd like to look it up on your own, we called it the "c-shape method" in school. I'll look around for a demo for you.

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ZAj-fXKMY

There are a lot of other videos on Youtube to demo this as well.

Green_Tea
08-30-2011, 10:38 PM
My oldest DD had her molars sealed in the spring - quick and easy! Though I think we paid WAY less than $76/tooth (we have no dental insurance :() - I think we paid around $40-45/tooth?

KrisM
08-30-2011, 10:38 PM
We had it done for DS1 last year, too. Just check that they don't use sealants with BPA in it. Supposedly, it's not a problem and they don't leach, but I was much more comfortable knowing it wasn't in it at all.

sweetsue98
08-30-2011, 10:47 PM
I would do it! I think I posted on one of your other threads but you might want to ask your dentist about perscription fluoride toothpaste.

ShanaMama
08-30-2011, 11:00 PM
My oldest DD had her molars sealed in the spring - quick and easy! Though I think we paid WAY less than $76/tooth (we have no dental insurance :() - I think we paid around $40-45/tooth?

Ya, I mentioned it's pricey, no? I could swallow $76 per tooth. Really. But the treatment plan they just gave me for all the fillings (including the nerve treatment which is like a root canal for kids- which I hope she won't need!) is over $1200!!!!!!

We had it done for DS1 last year, too. Just check that they don't use sealants with BPA in it. Supposedly, it's not a problem and they don't leach, but I was much more comfortable knowing it wasn't in it at all.
Good point. I will ask about this.

Kungjo
08-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Do it. My older DD had hers done and I'm leaning toward having younger DD's done soon as well. Both are cavity prone. We're self pay as well, so have been paying out the wahzoo for dental care, but it's so worth it.

wildfire
08-31-2011, 02:32 AM
I had mine done as a teenager as a preventative step. I do not have any cavities, even as a grown up. I think it was well worth it.

brittone2
08-31-2011, 08:13 AM
Smilequeen (a mom who posts here who is a dentist) has some posts in the archives.

There are some brands of sealant material that have lower/no BPA. I would ask if they use one of those brands.

There's a list here somewhere from either Smilequeen or Daisymommy.

eta: this discusses one brand:
http://dentechblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/bpa-free-sealants.html ( I would research that further since this is from a blog, but wanted to offer a starting point)

elephantmeg
08-31-2011, 08:20 AM
my parents had mine done and it made a huge difference-I got a cavity on one where it had come off. I will do sealant on my kids when the dentist reccomends it

egoldber
08-31-2011, 09:25 AM
Well, FWIW, older DD has those deep grooves and *just* had the sealants done (she is 10). She has had no cavities, even with the deep grooves, until one very small one recently, and not in a molar. But we all seem to have cavity resistant teeth. Given that your DD already has 4 cavities, I would do the sealant.

My dentist, who I thought was expensive but not compared to the prices I see here :47: , charged $50 per tooth.

bubbaray
08-31-2011, 09:27 AM
I'd have to pull our bills, but I'm positive we paid more than $50/tooth. Our dental prices are always within the range (though on the high side) here. I thought it was around $150/tooth, but our insurance paid most of it. OOP, it was around $25/tooth. We go to a pediatric dentist, his rates are higher.

egoldber
08-31-2011, 09:31 AM
I happen to have the scanned bill on my computer to submit for FSA (we don't have dental insurance) and it was $51 per tooth. Maybe we got a cash discount? ;)

ETA: This is a regular dentist, not a ped dentist.

pb&j
08-31-2011, 09:31 AM
Did it w/DS, and had it done myself. I didn't have any cavities until I was in my late 20's, and the few I'm getting now are not where the sealants are.

I am willing to accept the risks that come with sealants, because the risks of extreme dental caries is huge. Dental decay and abscesses can be very bad for overall health.

KrisM
08-31-2011, 09:38 AM
I just looked up DS1's from last fall. The charge was $43/tooth and it was a ped dentist. Insurance negociated price was $30/tooth and was covered 100%.

boolady
08-31-2011, 09:44 AM
I had mine done as a teenager as a preventative step. I do not have any cavities, even as a grown up. I think it was well worth it.

I had them preventatively done as a tween, am over 35, and still have never had a cavity.

HIU8
08-31-2011, 10:04 AM
You should do it. We did it for DS. From what I gathered when it came up with DS, it's now standard practice (it has been for awhile it seems). it is supposed to last a long time. It was quick and very easy (painless). I do not remember what it was per tooth b/c it was covered by our dental insurance. Although $76 per tooth sounds a bit high to me.

lizzywednesday
08-31-2011, 10:19 AM
I had my molars sealed as a kid and didn't get any cavities 'til I was 28 or 29. And, even now, I've only had one very small cavity that was filled quickly.

If it's done correctly, I think that it's worth its weight in gold.

BabbyO
08-31-2011, 11:23 AM
I'd do it.

My younger siblings had sealants done when they were kids (approx 20+ years ago) and I know it helped them quite a bit. I wasn't able to get them done for some reason (I think they weren't covered by insurance and mom didn't want to pull me out of school to get them done at the local dental school where sibs had them done).

Anyway, I'd always wished I had them done because the few cavities I have are in the molars with the deep pits.

I'd asked my dentist when I got my first job if I could have them done, and he gave me a line about it only being for kids. In hindsight I realize he was saying that INSURANCE typically only covers it for kids. Finally about 2 years ago I asked my new dentist about it again. He confirmed that insurance probably wouldn't cover much if any of the procedure, but he could do it. I think it ran about $45-50/tooth. I got it done and I'm so glad. I've had one tooth that was on a "watch" at the time and still have not gotten a cavity in that tooth (previously once a tooth was on "watch" for me, it was only a few months before I had a cavity).

bcafe
08-31-2011, 11:36 AM
We go to a holistic dentist and he recommended them too. His price was $96/tooth. We also don't have dental insurance so we can't pay that price. I thought that price quote was extremely high.