PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb Recipe Thread

essnce629
08-31-2011, 03:12 AM
These are some low carb recipes from my low carb cookbooks that I've been wanting to share. If anyone wants to add some more recipes that they've been enjoying feel free to add them. I'll continue to add more as I try new stuff.

Sunflower Parmesan Crackers (I didn't like these plain, but with cream cheese they became quite addicting!)
1 c raw, shelled sunflower seeds
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
1/4 c water

Oven @ 375. Grind sunflower seeds and parmesan in food processor to a fine meal. Add water and pulse till blended, soft, and sticky. Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper. Put dough onto paper and place another sheet on top. Press and roll dough into a thin even sheet. The thinner the better, so long as there are no holes in the dough. Peel off paper and score dough into squares. Bake around 30 minutes or until evenly brown. Peel off paper and break along score lines. Let cool and store in container with tight lid or ziploc.

Peanut Soup
3 tbsp butter
3 ribs celery, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 quarts chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt or Vege-Sal http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LKYXUC
1 1/4 c natural creamy peanut butter
1 tsp guar or xanthan gum (optional) (I used xanthan, bought at WF's in spice section)
2 c half-and-half or heavy cream (I used heavy cream since it has zero carbs)
salted peanuts, chopped

Melt butter and saute celery and onion. Stir in broth, salt, and peanut butter. Simmer around 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If using guar/xanthan (makes soup thicker without adding carbs), scoop 1 c of soup out of pot 15 minutes before serving, add guar/xanthan, run through blender for a few seconds (I used my stick blender), and whisk back into soup. Stir in half-and-half or cream and simmer another 15 minutes. Garnish with peanuts.

Greek Beans
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 small onion, finely minced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 bag frozen green beans, thawed (I used the long "French" green beans)
1/2 c diced canned tomatoes
1/4 c beef broth (I used chicken since I didn't have beef)
1/4 c dry white wine

Heat oil over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion for minute or two. Drain green beans and saute them for 6-7 minutes, adding another tbsp of oil if skillet gets dry. Stir in tomatoes, broth, and wine. Turn up heat to med-high and simmer until beans are tender crisp and most of liquid has cooked off (~5 minutes)

Pork Chops with Mustard Cream Sauce (I tripled the recipe for my family)
1 pork chop, 1" thick
Salt or Vege-Sal (I used Vege-Sal)
Pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp dry white wine
1 tbsp heavy cream
1 tbsp spicy brown or dijon mustard (I used spicy brown)

Salt and pepper both sides of chop. Heat oil over medium heat and saute chop till it's browned on both sides and cooked through (internal temp 160 degrees, ~6 minutes each side). Remove chop and keep warm. Put wine in skillet and stir around, scraping tasty brown bits off pan. Stir in cream and mustard, blend well, and cook for 1-2 minutes. Pour over chop and serve.

Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
4 c cauliflower, diced small
1 tbsp finely chopped onion
2 tbsp finely chopped celery
1 tbsp grated carrot
3 c chicken broth
1 tsp salt
2 tsp white vinegar (I used white wine vinegar)
1 1/2 c half-and-half
1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
Guar or xanthan (optional) (I didn't use it)
2 slices bacon, cooked and drained
1 tbsp minced scallion

Put cauliflower, onion, celery, and carrot in pan. Add broth, salt, and vinegar. Simmer for 30-45 minutes. Stir in half-and-half then whisk in cheese a little at a time, letting it melt before adding more. Thicken with guar/xanthan if needed. Puree in blender or with stick blender (I used the stick blender). Top with crumbled bacon and scallions (I chopped them in the food processor and stirred them into the whole soup).

Cashew Crusted Chicken (this is a 15-minute recipe)
2/3 c raw cashew pieces
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 egg
2-3 tbsp butter

Grind cashews to a fine texture in food processor. Put them on plate and add salt, pepper, and paprika, mixing well. Set aside. Pound chicken breasts until they're 1/2" thick, and cut into 4 servings if necessary. Whisk egg and pour in another plate with a rim. Dip chicken breast piece into egg, then into cashew mixture, coating both sides (cashews are a high-carb nut so you want just a light coating). Melt butter over medium to med-high heat and add chicken. Saute until it's golden brown on both sides and cooked through (~5 minutes per side).

Unstuffed Cabbage (this is a 15-minute recipe) (tastes best the 2nd day)
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic or 2 cloves, crushed
1/2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
8oz can tomato sauce
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt

Start cooking beef over high heat. While beef is browning, chop onion and crush garlic. Add to beef. Spread out beef and break it up so it cooks evenly. Cover pan and continue cooking. Meanwhile, chop cabbage and stir into beef mixture a bit at a time. Stir well, cover, and continue cooking. When cabbage is starting to wilt, stir in tomato sauce, lemon juice, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes.

Spanish "Rice" (this is a 15-minute recipe) (it has nothing to do with rice or anything Spanish or Mexican! Even with the chilies, it's not spicy)
1 lb ground beef
1-2 tbsp oil
1/2 head cauliflower
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c water (I used chicken broth)

Start browning beef in oil over med-high heat. Meanwhile, run cauliflower through shredding blade of food processor (I used my salad shooter with cheese grater attachment). Put cauliflower in microwaveable dish, add 2 tbsp of water, cover, and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Go back to beef and start breaking it up. Add the bell pepper and onion. When all pink is gone from meat, add garlic, tomatoes, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, and water (broth), and bring to a simmer. Stir in cauliflower "rice." Cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Saffron "Rice" (this is a 15-minute recipe)
1/2 head cauliflower
1 tsp saffron threads
1/4 c water
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1/4 c chopped toasted almonds

Run cauliflower through shredding blade of food processor (I used my salad shooter with cheese grater attachment). Put cauliflower in microwaveable dish, add 2 tbsp of water, cover, and microwave on high for 7 minutes. Start soaking saffron threads in the water. While that's happening, saute onion and garlic in butter over medium heat. When cauliflower is done, drain it, and add it to skillet. Pour in water and saffron, and stir in chicken bouillon granules. Cook for 1-2 minutes while you chop almonds. Stir almonds into "rice" and serve.

Cream of Salmon Soup (this is a 15-minute recipe)
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1/4 c finely minced onion
1/4 c finely minced celery
2 c heavy cream
14oz can salmon, drained (skinless and boneless)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
(I added salt and dried dill to it at the end as well)

Melt butter and saute onion and celery till onion is translucent and celery is tender. Meanwhile, pour cream into microwaveable container and heat it at 50% power for 3-4 minutes. (This just cuts the time needed to heat the cream through-- you can skip this step and simply heat soup on stove a little longer if you like). Pour cream in to pan, add salmon and thyme. Break up salmon as you stir soup (whisk works well). Add salt and dill to taste. Heat until simmering and serve.

Mexican Cabbage Soup (this is a 15-minute recipe and is not spicy)
1 quart beef broth
14.5oz can diced tomatoes with green chillies
1 lb ground beef
1 tbsp oil
1/2 c chopped onion
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp oregano
2 c bagged coleslaw mix (or just plain shredded cabbage)

In microwaveable container combine beef broth and canned tomatoes. Microwave on high for 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, in large saucepan, start browning and crumbling beef in oil. When beef's about half brown, add onion and garlic. Continue cooking till entirely brown. Add cumin and oregano. Add heated beef broth and tomatoes. Stir in coleslaw mix and bring to a simmer. Cook for 1-2 minutes and serve.

Easy Garlic Creamed Spinach (this is a 15-minute recipe)
Two 10oz boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed or two 10oz bags fresh spinach (I used frozen)
1 tbsp butter
5.2oz package creamy garlic-herb cheese, like Boursin or Alouette (I used Boursin)
Salt

If you're using fresh spinach, coarsely chop it. Melt butter and add spinach. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes. You want fresh spinach just barely wilted and frozen spinach well-heated through. Cut cheese into chunks and add to skillet. Stir until cheese is completely melted. Salt to taste and serve.

Sour Cream Spinach (this is a 15-minute recipe)
10oz package frozen chopped spinach
1/4 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp butter
1/3 c sour cream
1 tsp apple cider vinegar

Put spinach in microwaveable dish, add a few tablespoons of water, cover, and microwave on high for 5 minutes or until heated through with no cold spots. Meanwhile, saute onion in butter. When spinach is cooked and onion is translucent, drain spinach and stir into onion. Stir in sour cream and vinegar. Heat through without letting it simmer and serve.

Creamed Chicken and Broccoli
2 tbsp butter
2 c broccoli, cut up
4oz mushrooms, sliced (I left these out since I don't like mushrooms)
2 c diced cooked chicken
1 c heavy whipping cream
1/4 c grated parmesan cheese
3/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 c additional parmesan cheese

Melt butter in skillet. Add broccoli and mushrooms and cook till broccoli is tender. Add chicken and heat through. In small bowl mix together cream, 1/4 c parmesan, Worcestershire sauce, and nutmeg. Add cream mixture to chicken and broccoli and stir. Simmer on low without stirring until somewhat thickened. Serve and top with additional parmesan cheese.

ZeeBaby
09-11-2011, 11:08 AM
I am starting the low carb diet tomorrow. I have 20lbs to lose!!!! Here is a recipe I found, which looks pretty good and easy!

Egg Vegetable Casserole

18 eggs
Splash of skim milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Spike seasoning
Olive oil
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 yellow pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1 cup of fresh spinach, chopped
3 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Parmesan cheese, shredded

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the 18 eggs. Add a splash of milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. We also used Spike seasoning, 1-2 teaspoons. If you don’t have this, try Italian seasoning instead.
2. In a large skillet, saute the peppers and onion in a little bit of olive oil.
3. Add in the spinach for a minute or two.
4. Pour the eggs in a greased 9 by 13 Pyrex dish. Add in the sauteed veggies and tomatoes. Stir everything in the pan.
5. Stir in mozzarella cheese. Make sure everything is distributed evenly.
6. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the eggs are set and golden.
7. Sprinkle the casserole with Parmesan cheese if you wish.