PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else's DC cut their teeth late, and in really bizarre order/frequency?

citymama
08-31-2011, 04:05 AM
...and was teething just awful for your DC as well?

DD2 has the most bizarre teething pattern. No teeth till almost one. Nothing, although drool and teething pains clearly happening for weeks before then. Then two top teeth appear at the same time, and within the week, two bottom teeth. OUCH. Then no teeth till nearly 16 months. Suddenly buckets of drool, waking every night, and overnight, a full tooth appears on the top jaw (last week). Yesterday, her pediatrician told us she could see 4 molars about to emerge at the same time. DOUBLE OUCH!

For other folks whose DC's were late teethers and whose teeth appeared in groups - did this continue for all baby teeth, and did they also lose their teeth later?

momm
08-31-2011, 06:50 AM
hi,

Mine is only 11 months, but he had no teeth till he completed 10 months. I asked my pedi and she said kids may not even get teeth till 18 months.

Then he started teething, swollen gums, pain, et all - for about 3-4 weeks befure the edge of the tooth came out. Now, clearly, two are growing in at the same time.

Does not answer your question about all the baby teeth, etc., but wanted to commiserate!

katerinasmom
08-31-2011, 07:58 AM
Both my kids were very late teethers. My oldest did not get her first tooth until she was 16 months old and her last baby tooth didn't come in until she was over 3. My youngest got her first tooth at 14 or 15 months. There was no rhyme or reason to the order that they came in. For both kids, we'd get one tooth one month, 3 in another month, nothing for 4 months, a bunch of molars before the front teeth. It was all over the place.
My oldest is now 7 and has not lost any of her baby teeth yet and none seem to be loose at all. All of her classmates have lost at least 2 teeth by now.

marymoo86
08-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Another late teether here. DD has had "teething" signs for months with nothing. At her 9mo apt the ped said that he could see where she should be getting her bottom 2 teeth in soon. Still no teeth as of yet.

elephantmeg
08-31-2011, 08:21 AM
my kids didn't get teeth until about a year and DS has no teeth that look like they are loose at all.

AngelaS
08-31-2011, 08:25 AM
My middle one didn't get teeth until one. She got two in the bottom and then one on too and kept her jack o lantern smile for months. She didn't get her 6 year molars until about 8 and now at 9.5 she's lost 8 teeth.

Dream
08-31-2011, 08:29 AM
DD1's first tooth came after she turned 1yr. Then she got a molar before the rest of her front teeth came. But she wasn't cranky when teething but then again she's cranky kid in general.

waitingforgrace
08-31-2011, 09:15 AM
DD got her first tooth around 10 months and the front top and bottom came in "normally" I suppose but after that it's been crazy. She's getting them in a really weird order and very slowly. Our ped was somewhat concerned at oher 18 month appt so we are going to see a ped dentist in January so they can hopefully get xrays to make sure everything's ok. Mind you, she has horrible teething symptoms sometimes for weeks, but no teeth show up.

pb&j
08-31-2011, 09:25 AM
DD's first tooth erupted right before her 1st bday. DD got one top front tooth, one top lateral incisor, one bottom front tooth, a couple of molars, some more front teeth. After getting all upper teeth, and all molars, she still was missing lower canines and lower lateral incisors. Her lower canines erupted this summer, and are still growing in. Just this past week, her lower lateral incisors (which we weren't even sure were actually there) erupted. And one is coming in totally sideways.

FTR, the ped dentist was not at all concerned about late eruption/weird pattern. He was mildly concerned about her not having the two lower lateral incisors, but wanted to delay X-ray until the permanent teeth would be visible on the x-ray so we could see if those were there or not. DD has such a small jaw we were kind of hoping she wouldn't have those two, b/c it might make future orthodontia easier w/more room.

She will be 3 in Nov.

ETA: She has been drooling like crazy and chewing her fingers a lot this week with the two new teeth.

egoldber
08-31-2011, 09:29 AM
Older DD did not get her first tooth until she was 15 months old. And yes, they did come in an irregular pattern and they did come in groups. Usually 2 (a pair) at a time, but sometimes as many as 4 at a time. She had none at 15 months and by 2 she had a full mouth.

And yes, she did start getting permanent teeth late as well. She did not lose her first baby tooth until just after her 7th birthday.

MaiseyDog
08-31-2011, 10:35 AM
Both my kids were very late teethers. My oldest did not get her first tooth until she was 16 months old and her last baby tooth didn't come in until she was over 3. My youngest got her first tooth at 14 or 15 months. There was no rhyme or reason to the order that they came in. For both kids, we'd get one tooth one month, 3 in another month, nothing for 4 months, a bunch of molars before the front teeth. It was all over the place.
My oldest is now 7 and has not lost any of her baby teeth yet and none seem to be loose at all. All of her classmates have lost at least 2 teeth by now.

This is generally us as well. DD1 didn't get her first tooth until 17 months and her last at about 3.5. When she did finally start getting teeth they seemed to come in groups of 2-3 at a time and were several months apart. She is 6.5 now and desparate to have a loose tooth like her friends, but the dentist has said that she will lose her teeth late.

DD2 cut her first tooth at about 9 months. It completely caught me off guard. I should have realized what it was, she was drooling and really cranky, but after DD1's experience, a tooth just wasn't on my radar at that "young" of an age. At this point, I just hope that DD2 doesn't lose her first tooth before DD1. DD1 would be devestated.

larig
08-31-2011, 11:23 AM
DS was similar. He was over 9 months before getting his first tooth. He cut the bottom right first, then the top left, top right, shortly after getting those he got 3 more and had 4 on top and 2 on bottom. Then one molar, then the other two on the bottom...He had almost all his teeth by 16 or 17 months.

Puddy73
08-31-2011, 01:01 PM
DD2 will be 3 in November and is just now getting her canine teeth and lateral incisors. Her other teeth were late and out of the usual order as well. Dentist did not recommend X-rays until 3.

AnnieW625
08-31-2011, 01:19 PM
DD1 got her first two bottom teeth at 8 months old, two days after Christmas. By the time she was 12 months old she had 4 teeth. I don't really remember in which order she got them or how many she got in but every time she'd get in a new tooth she'd wake up almost nightly while teething.

DD2 got her first two bottom teeth around 8 months old right around Christmas too. She didn't get any other teeth until she was 13 or 14 months old and then she got the 4 top teeth at the same time. She didn't wake up at night for any of her teeth. She is now getting in the 3rd tooth on the bottom, just off to the left, and is also getting in some molars. She has woken up once so far, but she has had way more runny nose and has had some nasty poopy diapers this time around.

DD1's top middle tooth is starting to get loose right now and she is 5/1/2.

Pinky
09-01-2011, 07:58 PM
my DD is almost 18 mos and still only has 4 teeth... most kids we know have a lot more by now so I'm guessing that's not completely normal?

LexyLou
09-01-2011, 08:49 PM
I don't remember them being particularly late but my DD2 got her two top canines in first. She looked like a vampire in her 1st b-day picture. I loved it!

gordo
09-01-2011, 11:52 PM
DD1 didn't get her first tooth until 14 1/2 months! But then they came in all at once. Funny thing is it didn't seem to bother her at all! She lost her first tooth at age 5, so she didn't really start losing them later than average.

crl
09-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Well, ds was an early teether, but he usually had multiple teeth coming in at the same time. And it was pretty dreadful.

Catherine

kijip
09-02-2011, 01:23 AM
T did not get his first teeth until he was almost 16 months old. His first teeth were his little canines, which came in like baby fangs just in time for Halloween. He then proceeded to get 2-4 teeth at a time, in a seemingly random order and in very rapid fire succession. He had them all except his two year molars within less than 6 weeks or so. It was hard while it lasted, but it was over fast.

F was just before a year and followed a much more normal pattern- front bottom first, 1-2 at a time. He never seemed to have a lot of trouble with teething.

citymama
09-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Sounds like we're not alone! I love the Halloween fanged babies. :rotflmao:

Poor DD2 - her bottom two teeth are seriously crooked too. :oThe one thing about late teething is they really look like babies for that much longer...

Globetrotter
09-02-2011, 02:44 AM
DD got SEVEN teeth at once at 14 months!! It was very painful and poor thing stopped eating solids for a few months beforehand (we only realized it was due to teething in retrospect).

kijip
09-02-2011, 03:15 AM
Oh and yes, T teeth are certainly coming out on the late side...considering he has an appointment for the dentist to yank 4 of them because the adult teeth are starting in, but the baby teeth are not budging. Seriously, he is 8 and the tooth fairy has not yet visited. And may never since he is not likely to believe it at 8. :ROTFLMAO:

Mine came in late and out late. I was at least 8 before any came out. My parents say I was about 16 months when the first ones came in.

On the plus side, the dentist says that he sees less cavities in late teethers since parents are not often great about bushing infant teeth.

chiisai
09-02-2011, 10:02 PM
With DD we had bottom two center incisors at 1 year, top two at 16 months. AND top two molars at 16 months. We are pretty close on the bottom two molars at 18 months - maybe another couple weeks.

Where art thou, lateral incisors, canines?

And yes, teething pain is INSANE.

DS started at a year, but his then came in every month or so, and in the order generally seen. And the only problem we ever had was one weekend when he was about 21 or 22 months, and I'm guessing it was molars, and he was just grumpy. Nothing like DD where it's like someone is ripping skin off of her, my poor kiddo!