PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4/5 strategy

momof2girls
08-31-2011, 09:05 AM
I am looking to upgrade to an Iphone in Sept. I really don't care if it is the version 4 or the new 5. Here is the dilemma: Do I wait and see if the 5 comes out and the 4 is then possibly discounted, buy a 4 now at full price, or wait until the 5 comes out at possibly a higher price?
I basically want the lowest price for whatever version. I spoke with Verizon and they said they are at the mercy of Apple when it comes to new versions and pricing. So Apple may ask that all 4s get sent back to them and to stop selling them once the 5s come (at a possibly higher price point) our or may say to go ahead and discount the 4s.
Has anyone had any experience with buying an older version of an Iphone?
FYI: I am not interested in a Droid as everyone I know has had bad experiences with them so am really just wanting an IPhone.

Melbel
08-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Apple tends to discount, not discontinue older versions. I heard that Sprint will also start carrying the iPhone5 too. I am looking to upgrade and possibly switch carriers in December when my contract with AT&T is over.

Has anyone priced AT&T vs. Verizon vs. Sprint recently?

elliput
08-31-2011, 09:29 AM
I just did a quick search for a release date of the iPhone 5 and was seeing speculation that it might not be out until October. IMO, wait until the release to see what happens with pricing.

Babymakes3
08-31-2011, 10:23 AM
I am sooo excited that the iphone is coming to Sprint! I am already working on DH to let me get one!
As far as pricing between At&T vs. Verizon vs. Sprint I think Sprint is in the lead bc they offer unlimited data, text and mobile to mobile for $79. From my understanding they aren't planning to change that plan when the iphone is introduced but who knows.

I found this article which has some good points
http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Spotlight/10-Reasons-to-Wait-for-the-SprintReady-iPhone-5-459028/

larig
08-31-2011, 10:32 AM
when the 4 came out last year, what they did was sell the 4 at the old 3gs's model's prices. Then, the 3gs model sold for $99. In June Walmart was selling the 4 for $150 (the low-end model), recently I've heard that Target and Radio Shack have been discounting the 4s.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/02/target-and-radioshack-clearing-stock-with-lower-iphone-4-prices/

I suspect what will happen is that the iphone4 will replace the 3gs as the low-end phone and sell for around $99 (but only the one with 16 gigs, unless the bump the whole line's phone storage up to 32/64/128). I think the new one will be out in October, and rumor has it that T-mobile and Sprint will also be carrying it.

This is the best I could find in terms of a cost comparison between them. (http://www.informationweek.com/blog/231000058)

And, the best advice I can give is to buy it online. You won't have to wait in line for it, but do it EXACTLY when they go on sale.

larig
08-31-2011, 10:38 AM
I am sooo excited that the iphone is coming to Sprint! I am already working on DH to let me get one!
As far as pricing between At&T vs. Verizon vs. Sprint I think Sprint is in the lead bc they offer unlimited data, text and mobile to mobile for $79. From my understanding they aren't planning to change that plan when the iphone is introduced but who knows.

I found this article which has some good points
http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Spotlight/10-Reasons-to-Wait-for-the-SprintReady-iPhone-5-459028/

I agreed with almost everything that article said, except, I don't think (based on all the rumors I've read) that the iPhone 5 will be 4G. I like that sprint still has an unlimited plan. DH and I have AT&T unlimited plans (his is $30 + and extra $20 for the second plan, mine), so we're grandfathered in.

ahisma
08-31-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm waiting, but within reason price wise, I want the newest technology since I'll keep it for quite some time. I have a 3 GS right now that is on it's last legs (battery-wise) after 2+ years of heavy use. I'll keep my next phone just as long, so I want to avoid being *too* obsolete at the end of the phone's usable life.

I've never heard of Apple having an older version of anything sent back to them and I've been a hardcore Apple user since the 90s. Methinks the sales rep gave you a line of hooey there;)

If you can wait, I would. At the very least, you'd know what you were deciding between since the 5 is an unknown right now. Even if it doesn't release until October, they may well release the relevant info in September, at which time you would make an informed decision.

3isEnough
08-31-2011, 09:12 PM
OP, if you're Ebay savvy at all, you could buy the iphone 5 (assuming you have a phone credit to bring the price down), but don't activate it. Instead, sell it on Ebay for profit and then buy an iphone 4 either from your wireless carrier or used on Ebay from someone with good feedback.

I've done variations of this a few times and it's all totally on the up and up. I've made a few hundred dollars each time. I don't need the latest and greatest, so I generally use my and DH's phone upgrade credits to buy the most popular phone, then sell it on Ebay and use the proceeds to buy the phone I want plus have plenty left over :thumbsup:

traciann
08-31-2011, 09:23 PM
is there a problem with the Iphone4?

AnnieW625
08-31-2011, 11:15 PM
I am waiting for Iphone 5 because I wasn't overly wowed by Iphone 4. If I don't care for the Iphone 5 then I will get a Droid 2 or a Droid X. I have Verizon and I am not planning on changing carriers. I can save 25% off the data plan through my work and 15% off the line so my bill for one phone will be about $79 after taxes, DH also has a line which is $10 and he is not getting a smart phone because he barely uses his cell phone.

I am definitely only ordering online because I don't want to have to pay more for less minutes than what I have now as my family plan, unl. night and weekends, and a split of 700 minutes (we never use more than 200 of them a month; if that) is $15 or so more than it was when we got the plan in 2005 so definitely check and price out the base plan with your carrier. I get a better deal on the family plan so even though DH would probably be better served by a Virgin pay as you go phone the $10 line add on ends up being a bit cheaper in the long run.