PDA

View Full Version : What/how much to send to Kindergarten for a morning snack?

khalloc
08-31-2011, 10:43 AM
My DD has morning snack time at Kindergarten at 9:30 every day. She can but a snack sized milk/OJ and/or the full breakfast offering at this time. Or we can send in a healthy snack from home. How much food would you send?

This morning I packed her a Go-gurt tube and a baggie of triscuits. I told her she can buy OJ or milk or just drink her water...is that enough?

As an aside, would sending things that require a spoon be OK? Like cottage cheese or yogurt in a cup? Should I pack the spoon (I am assumming yes).

I guess other things I could send would be fruit, or granola bars.

Thanks!

Canna
08-31-2011, 10:54 AM
DD's kindergarten ate lunch at 1:30. They had snack around 10:30 and I packed what probably constituted a small lunch for many kids. I tried to include some kind of protein (nuts, cheese, yogurt), fruit or veggie, bread or pretzels, etc.

HIU8
08-31-2011, 11:11 AM
I've been giving DS a baggies of teddy grahams and a drinkable yogurt. He said that was just enough.

ABO Mama
08-31-2011, 11:16 AM
A granola bar is enough for my DS. School starts at 8 and lunch is at 11. He doesn't want anything that takes too ling to eat, because he wants to play!

Kindra178
08-31-2011, 12:07 PM
A granola bar is enough for my DS. School starts at 8 and lunch is at 11. He doesn't want anything that takes too ling to eat, because he wants to play!

Same timing here, with lunch at 11:30. I have been sending a cereal bar or Enjoy Life bar. He drinks water from his bottle. I think a yogurt would be a great idea, assuming she is a fast eater. I just ordered some easier to open (I hope) stainless containers so I hope to send hummos and pita or pita chips as well.

connor_mommy
08-31-2011, 12:29 PM
I have in my kinders lunch box for snack: fruit (grapes and a few slices of apples), fish crackers, yogurt drink and fruit leather. He doesn't eat all of it during snack time. He starts at 8:15 and has snack around 10:30. He gets out at 11:35. For the past two weeks, I've been at school helping out with hot lunch, so he sits and finishes the rest of the snacks in his box. We get home around 12:30 and he eats lunch. He eats a lot more than his older brother, who can go the whole day with no snack and lunch.

08-31-2011, 12:33 PM
I've been sending some veggies with dip; a cheese stick or a fruit bar and sometimes a pear or some grapes. He says that he doesn't have time to eat everything. DS' school is nut free so the granola bars he likes are out.

crl
08-31-2011, 12:34 PM
At ds' school they eat snack during recess on the playground. So it needs to be something easy to grab and take along and preferably with no container or spoon to get back to the classroom. Z-bars and the like are great or yogurt in a tube or string cheese. DS never ate a ton because he wanted time to play too, plus lunch wasn't too far off.

Catherine

khalloc
08-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Interesting! It didnt occur to me that morning snack might be outside at the playground. I will have to ask DD. She starts at 8:15. Morning snack time is from 9:30-9:50 and her lunch is at 11:30. So she doesnt need anything big since lunch is early. Hopefully what she had today was enough!

I am curious about the nuts/granola bar thing too. Our school has a peanut table and non-pB table at lunch. They are at opposite ends of the (small) cafeteria. Her class had a latex allergy notice sent home, but nothing about a peanut allergy. So I assume its OK to eat. But I guess I wouldnt send a PB granola bar to school since at snack time they are not sitting at the assigned PB table.

new_mommy25
08-31-2011, 02:46 PM
At DD's school they don't have a specified morning snack time. They told us we can send a snack for morning recess and another for afternoon recess. I usually just send for morning recess. I have done Annie's bunnies, pirate booty or goldfish in a snack size bag, grapes or apples in snack size bag, frozen gogurt, fruit leather. I just send one thing because that is all DD can eat. If I send the gogurt or a string cheese I make sure to tell DD to eat it during first recess. I'll admit that the grapes and even the string cheese make me nervous because I am not there to supervise her eating (I can be paranoid!). So I don't do those too often and if the grapes are big I will cut them.

KpbS
08-31-2011, 02:53 PM
In DS1's K class last year the snack was pretty small and quick. They too ate lunch at 11:30 and had a handful of goldfish, or several Ritz/Wheat Thins crackers, or a pkg of fruit snacks, etc. I sent an applesauce cup or craisins occasionally when he couldn't eat what was served (allergies). They were allowed to get water from the fountain but other than that there weren't drinks provided/offered.

maestramommy
08-31-2011, 03:09 PM
I used to send fruit and crackers, or fruit and cheesestick, fruit and goldfish. Something like that. Last year both kids had strict nut free restrictions so that ruled out sending any kind of bar.

Now that the kids are in afternoon school I find I'm sending more or less the same thing. Today I sent half an apple and triscuits. Sometimes I send applesauce, and yes I pack a spoon. Arwyn's class is not nut free this year (yet), but most of the time it's easier to pack them same thing for both. Although today I gave her almond cashew clusters (Costco) instead of triscuits.

KrisM
08-31-2011, 03:43 PM
I pack cheese, fruit, pretzels, etc. I don't do yogurt or applesauce for snack. Sometimes, I'll do Goldfish or other crackers, but try to avoid that and give more filling things. Kindergarteners can buy milk and DD will. DS1 just drinks water.

Jo..
08-31-2011, 03:50 PM
I give DS pre-packaged crackers and cheese or Annie's Cheddar Bunnies. With water. He drinks milk at lunch.

(School starts at 8:30, snack at 10:30, lunch at 12:30)

so he eats evrey two hours or so

smiles33
08-31-2011, 04:26 PM
D'oh! Today was DD1's first day of kindergarten and I didn't know I was supposed to pack a morning snack. She's in a 3 hour program so I have her in before and after-school care on-site. That program sent us a note to pack lunch separately from the breakfast if you wanted to, but no one ever mentioned a morning snack!

DD1 mentioned it to me when she got home and then I come on-line to find this thread. Sigh.