PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: OK, now I'm worried

HIU8
08-31-2011, 10:52 AM
UPDATE:
All was negative for shrimp, lobster, crab and scallops. And 10 airborne allergies. He has no idea what she reacted to. I need to get a list of all the ingredients used in the dish (I've been working on that). Either way, the reaction was not life threatening. He feels I can/should offer shellfish b/c she will not have an adverse reaction. As for what actually caused the reaction--now we are on trial and error.

I can't say I'm surprised. We have been through this before -sort of. DD is highly allergic to vanicream (supposed to have no allergens in it). She gets HUGE welts all over her body and so far we have not figured out the trigger in that formula either.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I just called to get the results of DD's blood test (testing for shellfish and some airborne allergies). I was told that the doctor was going to be calling me back (he was with a patient). I'm now worried. I would assume that if all was negative the nurse would have said so. Now, I just wait for the docs call..

jse107
08-31-2011, 11:14 AM
Well, it could be that the results are confusing or that he wanted to review them directly with you even if they are negative.

connor_mommy
08-31-2011, 12:33 PM
Or it could be the nurse or receptionist can't give out test results over the phone.

BabyMine
08-31-2011, 12:37 PM
That isn't an indicator of the results. Did they say anything like "you poor thing" or "everything is going to be ok"? If not it's probably fine.

Joking aside some offices will not release because of office rules or the Dr. might have a question for you.

okinawama
08-31-2011, 12:41 PM
I agree with others, don't start worrying based on the fact the nurse didn't give you the results. All of my OB test results had to be given to me by my doc, even in the cases where everything came back clear.

alien_host
08-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Try to stay calm and wait, it is hard but there is no sense reading into it all before hearing the info. I hope you get negative results. :hug:

ahisma
08-31-2011, 12:47 PM
My results have often been like that. Gets me nervous every time, but I agree that it's not an indicator of the results at all. They probably figure that you'll have questions either way so it's best to have the doc on the phone. Ultimately, I think it's a sign of a good doc, but frustrating to wait nonetheless!

Globetrotter
08-31-2011, 03:32 PM
Don't worry. I have been called in for negative results! The doctor wanted to explain the results in person or tell me when to get follow up testing, etc..

CaliMommy
08-31-2011, 03:37 PM
Like what PPs have said, it's not an indicator of your DC's test results. My DS's doctor is always the one who shares test results (in person or over the phone)... She said that it's a clinic policy because if she needs to elaborate on anything or ask us questions, then she could just do it in our conversation.

My mom recently was asked to go in for an appt so that her doc could explain her test results... The tests came back negative but her doc wanted to make sure she understood everything and could ask her (doc) questions if she had any.

Don't worry yet, see what the doctor has to say first. :)

scrooks
08-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Update us when you get a chance! Hopefully it was good news!

ett
08-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Or it could be the nurse or receptionist can't give out test results over the phone.

:yeahthat: It's usually the doctor and not the nurse that I speak with to discuss DS2's allergy results.

HIU8
08-31-2011, 07:40 PM
UPDATE in post 1

amldaley
08-31-2011, 07:43 PM
I don't see the update?

kbud
08-31-2011, 07:44 PM
My dr know requires a follow up appt. to review blood work, even if it is all fine. It kind of ticks me off as I have to pay for a whole visit. They say it has to do with liability and to ensure all test results are reviewed with the patient.

Cam&Clay
08-31-2011, 07:45 PM
I don't see the update?

Yup. No update showing.

amldaley
08-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Yup. No update showing.

It's up now. Must have been some lag time in the editing of her OP.

Could it have been sulfites? I am not allergic to shellfish but (before vegetarianism) I rarely ate it unless I knew how the product had been handled or processed. I have a severe reaction to sulfites, but my allergist won't test for it because is not an "allergy" it is a "sensitivity".