PDA

View Full Version : Quick - WWYD

ahisma
08-31-2011, 11:10 AM
In response to some bullying, my DD has opted to stand up for herself. Part of that involves dyeing her hair bright purple. (She's a middle school percussionist, listens to old school punk, etc...so not too "out there". She's super responsible and I'm okay with it.)

We need to do it quickly, so I called two stylists recommended by friends at playgroup yesterday. I really didn't think either would be able to get her in at the last minute like this, especially since it's a 2-3 hour gig.

Stylist A: Upscale urban salon, 10 minutes away, pricey, have met the stylist briefly socially. Good fit. Knows the story through mutual friend. Called yesterday, didn't hear back. They returned the call late this morning and can get her in. Cost is about $50 more, but is fair.

Stylist B: Aveda salon, 45 minutes away, also a good fit. Don't know him, but know of him. Recent cosmetology grad but very skilled. Less expensive. Called this morning, before Stylist A called back (wasn't sure they *would* call back, or would have that dye in stock). Made an appointment, coincidentally *right* after mutual friend is getting a cut tomorrow.

WWYD? I feel really bad telling Stylist A that we found someone else. She's closer, and I really like her, personally. I think she would be an amazing fit and is worth the extra $50. But, I already made the appointment with Stylist B, literally 10 minutes before Stylist A's salon called back. I really didn't think that anyone would be able to do it this quickly.

elizabethkott
08-31-2011, 11:16 AM
I'd likely go with Stylist A, just because she's closer.
BTW, AWESOME that your DD is standing up for herself with such fantastic humor!!! And KUDOS to you for supporting her in this way! There are not a lot of moms out there who would be this supportive of bright purple hair! You ROCK!

nrp
08-31-2011, 11:17 AM
I'd just go with whoever you prefer and cancel the other appt - you just made it, so its not like you were likely you are creating a hole in their schedule that would not have been there otherwise. I don't think you need to give an explanation.

ETA: I also wanted to give a nod to your DD for this decision - she sounds very cool and this is a great way to respond to the bully!

ha98ed14
08-31-2011, 11:29 AM
I'd go with A too. BTW, you're an awesome mom and your girl is gonna rock the purple do! All she needs now is a bumper sticker for her drum case that says, "Mean people suck!" and tickets to the next big concert!

waitingforgrace
08-31-2011, 12:27 PM
If you'd prefer A then go with her. Don't feel bad canceling on B since it's not like you have been seeing him regularly or anything.

weech
08-31-2011, 12:30 PM
I'd go buy some Manic Panic and do it myself. I used to prefer purple and burgundy :jammin:

marit
08-31-2011, 12:32 PM
A.

You don't want any screw up with a purple hair color... I would go with the one I trust most, and that is stylist A.

Good luck!

BabyMine
08-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Good for her. I died my hair so many colors, and had a mohawk throughout middle and highschool. My mom felt the same way you did. My grades were good and I was responsible so why not. I vote for doing it at home. A bonding moment with you and your daughter. Of course that does matter with what her current hair color is.

ahisma
08-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks everyone! I finally managed to decide and went with B. He does do dye a lot and is full of tattoos and piercings, so really a good fit as well. There were some personal dynamics with the friends that recommended them that came into play as well.

BUT...for DD's birthday this fall, we're going to get her a cut / style / makeup consult with A...which is probably a really good thing to do and ultimately, a bit more creative.

I thought about doing it at home but DD's hair is medium brown and will need to be bleached. I think I could probably pull it off but a botched dye job would just be the icing on the cake right now. Purple is one of the colors that fades quickly (to light purple), we'll definitely be hitting the manic panic at home in a few weeks!