PDA

View Full Version : Did you have to mail order your Rhogam?

nrp
08-31-2011, 01:31 PM
I have been in a battle with my pharmacy coverage. For my first two pregnancies (also with Caremark, but a different employer), I was instructed by my OB to go downstairs to the pharmacy in the building (Walgreens) to pick up the Rhogam shot, then I took it back upstairs and they administered it. I did that this last time, although Walgreens said that there was an issue and that I would need to file a paper claim (but didn't suggest that I wouldn't ultimately be reimbursed, although of course, I guess how would they know). Anyway, I filed the paper claim and it was denied. After endless calls, the answer I get is that Rhogam is only filled through their "specialty pharmacy", which meant that I would have had to pre-order it four days before the appointment and have it mailed to me, refrigerated, then I would have had to take a cooler to my OB with the shot to have them give it. This seems crazy to me.

To add to the crazy, when I asked what would happen when/if I needed it after my delivery, the woman at Caremark said the same process. So, to clarify, I said "so... I am supposed to call you four days before I go into labor to order this syringe and then remember to take it to the hospital with me and somehow keep it refrigerated until after I give birth and then have them administer it??" She said that was right. I told her I'd be glad to do so when they sent me a crystal ball and some ice packs, and she didn't find it funny. Ultimately, I spoke to someone else who said that when I'm admitted to the hospital my regular medical coverage kicks in and that it shouldn't be a problem. I hope that guy was right.

Honestly, at this point I'm ready to eat my $128, but this seems a very strange process to me, for a very standard drug. Anyone else have the same experience?

BabbyO
08-31-2011, 01:59 PM
No experience with Rhogam, but it does seem strange to me. I've about had it with the mail-order requirements. I get it for some things (maintence/repetitive prescriptions for things like allergies or BC, etc)...but this is one of those that really makes no sense to me at all. We just got a nasty gram for not using mail order on a script for amoxicillin for DS. I really didn't PLAN on him getting an ear infection...and my crystal ball is broken!

lowrioh
08-31-2011, 02:11 PM
I didn't have any problem getting the Rhogam but I did have to go to the local blood bank (at the hospital) to get it.
Could you mail order it and have it sent directly to the OBs office?

ETA: Sorry I missed that you already got the shot...I would dispute it and see what happens

arivecchi
08-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Since caremark is affiliated with CVS, can you maybe try to go to a cvs pharmacy and talk to the pharmacist there about it? Maybe they can give you some helpful suggestions.

I would also write a letter to caremark about it. That is just ridiculous. I have caremark as well for my presciption coverage and they absolutely suck.

ETA: Here is the address. I would cc the benefits office for my employer.

https://www.caremark.com/wps/portal/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gnC3NzC-8gw1AfMzMXA08zH4NQQ7dgIwN_U_2CbEdFANO6-Qw!/

lalasmama
08-31-2011, 05:21 PM
This is interesting. I work family practice/ob/gyn/peds.... and have done ob/gyn at least part time for 6 years now. Each clinic I have worked in (3 now) has ordered the shot and administered to the patient. I don't think I have I seen a patient bring it in and ask us to administer it.... I've seen it for some other medicines, but not Rhogam. Wonder if it's a regional thing.

nrp
08-31-2011, 05:46 PM
This is interesting. I work family practice/ob/gyn/peds.... and have done ob/gyn at least part time for 6 years now. Each clinic I have worked in (3 now) has ordered the shot and administered to the patient. I don't think I have I seen a patient bring it in and ask us to administer it.... I've seen it for some other medicines, but not Rhogam. Wonder if it's a regional thing.

I am guessing that the existence of the pharmacy in the building (which is almost exclusively OB and peds practices) is the reason why my OB doesn't order it himself. If it were a recurrent injection, I can see why the insurance would prefer the mail order option, but here it is just a one (or maybe two) time thing so it seems very strange to me.

Thanks, arivecchi for the link - I will definitely write a letter!