PDA

View Full Version : Can you spare some BBB mojo today?

PunkyBoo
08-31-2011, 04:43 PM
I've been a SAHM since Punkin was born 7.5 years ago. I've been looking for work for about 2 years, since Boo was an infant. DH had been laid off when Boo was just 7 weeks old and it took him a full 2 years (almost to the day) to get employed full-time again. DH's job doesn't pay near what he used to make, but I don't think any jobs do (especially in construction/ engineering which is his, and my field). And there is a chance that DH will have to be laid off again next summer when his current project is finished, because there just aren't new projects coming in.

So I have been looking for work with renewed intensity for the past few months. We NEED a second income - we're just not getting by on DH's salary anymore, especially since we incurred a bit of debt while he was un- and under-employed for that 2 years. I've hardly seen any jobs I'm qualified for at all in the past year or so. I don't see any improvement in the economy at all.

Last month I finally saw 2 openings at the same agency that, on paper, I'm definitely qualified for, so I applied for them. A friend of mine works as a consultant to that agency pretty frequently, so she wrote a wonderful letter of recommendation on my behalf to the guy that would be my boss if I worked there. I've been waiting impatiently to hear about interviews for the positions. But today, I got an email that they don't even want to interview me for one of the jobs (the higher-paid one of the two). It will probably be 1-2 more weeks before they schedule interviews for the second position, so I have no idea if I'm in the running for that one or not. I feel SO deflated. I have this almost-8-year gap on my resume for this time I've been SAHM and there just isn't any getting around it. I'm really shocked I didn't even make an interview, especially after the nice letter my friend sent and the guy sent her a very nice reply saying he would keep an eye out for my application, blah, blah, blah.

I could use some positive job-mojo. I NEED to be bringing in some income soon. Besides that second job at that agency, I only have one other outstanding application that I'm waiting on to hear if they want to interview me. I really just don't know what we will do if I can't get a job soon...

KathyN115
08-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Lots of good wishes coming your way!!!

larig
08-31-2011, 04:56 PM
big mojo!!!!

ThreeofUs
08-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Mojo - may you get a job!

Pennylane
08-31-2011, 05:10 PM
Sending good thoughts your way! Hope it all works out.

Ann

elephantmeg
08-31-2011, 05:13 PM
mojo, mojo, mojo!

cuca_
08-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Sending mojo your way!

TwinFoxes
08-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Mojo heading your way. BTW, are you sure the guy saw your resume, and it wasn't just some HR person who sent the letter? Any way you could ask your friend to inquire for you? I would do it for a friend...heck random interns have asked me to do more! Good luck to you!

amldaley
08-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Super good mojo headed your way!

JustMe
08-31-2011, 06:48 PM
BBB mojo to you! Sorry about the job you didn't get an interview for, but try not to let it get you down too much. There are many, many reasons why companies make the decisons they do (knowing who was going to get the job before they even advertised it, budget changes, looking for something very specific that you have no idea about, etc).

happymomma
08-31-2011, 06:52 PM
Sending you positive mojo!! Good luck!

MamaMolly
08-31-2011, 11:02 PM
Mojo!!! Mojo!!!! Mojo!!!!

blue
08-31-2011, 11:37 PM
More job mojo for you!