PDA

View Full Version : Today was the last day before school starts...

Green_Tea
08-31-2011, 07:52 PM
...and I have been in an awful, snippy, bitchy mood all day :(. I have had little to no patience for my kids, and snapped at them repeatedly. And tonight when DD1 sat down at my brand new kitchen table to take the nail polish off her nails, and set the remover-soaked cotton balls right on the wood, damaging the finish, I about went through the ROOF.

I feel like I am suffering from the worst case of PMS ever. I know the girls are both nervous about the coming school year, and I feel terrible for being in SUCH a bad, impatient mood all day, but I really feel like my very last nerve has been shot. I am so DONE with fielding constant requests for water/snacks/playdates, refereeing endless arguments between the kids, constantly reminding them to pick up those Legos/flip flops/dirty tissues. I am sick of having to tell DD1 that it is NOT OK to pinch her brother when he annoys her. I am sick of having to remind them that it is THEIR responsibility to read each day so they will not need to explain to their new teachers why their reading list is essentially empty.

I AM DONE. 8:20 tomorrow morning cannot come quickly enough.

But I feel terrible that their last memory of this summer will be their mom being in such a sh!tty mood.

:gloomy::gloomy::gloomy:

Other things I am pissed about:

- spending $500 on textbooks
- DS's first day of K is only ONE HOUR LONG which means that DH has to take a half day (likely unpaid) because it's also MY first day of school.
- I have gained three pounds since the "vacation" which involved me carting all three kids to the beach solo because DH's boss refused to give him the paid time off to which he's entitled
- I spite of gaining three pounds, all I want to do is eat
- My house is a mess, and we have 25 people coming for a birthday party on Saturday.
- DS called me a pinhead today.
- I have no wine in the house.

elephantmeg
08-31-2011, 08:04 PM
ohy! I am so sorry! Good luck to all of you tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!

sste
08-31-2011, 08:21 PM
Greentea, they won't remember this by tomorrow morning! :) Don't worry yourself at all. Were your kids in any programming or camp this summer? Personally, I don't know how people do it with kids home all or most of the summer. My son NEEDS part-day programming every day or my life basically is not worth living!

I would pin your medal of honor on for a summer well-done and not worry about this small blip on the radar!

Green_Tea
08-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Greentea, they won't remember this by tomorrow morning! :) Don't worry yourself at all. Were your kids in any programming or camp this summer? Personally, I don't know how people do it with kids home all or most of the summer. My son NEEDS part-day programming every day or my life basically is not worth living!

I would pin your medal of honor on for a summer well-done and not worry about this small blip on the radar!

Thank you for this, especially the bolded part. I just feel like the wicked witch of the west today :(. But you're right - I have absolutely no memory of what kind of mood my mom was in the night before school started when I was 8. Or 7. Or any other age.

They did do some summer programming - lots of weeks of swimming lessons, a week of camp, swim team. But the past three weeks have involved our "vacation" and then a week at home before school starts. I think they needed even more programming than they got. I feel like such a jerk for saying it, but I really don't enjoy long stretches of unstructured "down time" with my kids. I really don't even like school vacation weeks. I have friends who talk about how relaxing it is to not have all kinds of plans, but my patience for the kids (and their patience for each other) seems to erode rapidly after 24 hours without some sort of pre-planned entertainment. Everyone seems much happier when there is a schedule to stick to.

MomToOne
08-31-2011, 08:50 PM
I think that most of your mood probably came from the fact that it *was* the last day of life like this. I had just an ordinary day but if I knew I was getting some relief time-wise tomorrow I'd probably be pretty impatient waiting for it to come!

Hope that makes sense :hug:

MamaMolly
08-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Oh sweets, don't be so hard on yourself. You are under a lot of stress right now. Even good things like starting school that are exciting can be stressful. Try to put today behind you and enjoy your day tomorrow.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-31-2011, 11:30 PM
I think that most of your mood probably came from the fact that it *was* the last day of life like this. I had just an ordinary day but if I knew I was getting some relief time-wise tomorrow I'd probably be pretty impatient waiting for it to come!

Hope that makes sense :hug:

:yeahthat:
this is SO true. no btdt as my kids are not in school yet but whenever my DH goes out of town (usually for 5 days at a time), most days actually are pretty smooth sailing until the very day he gets back (he always gets home late at night, after kids are in bed). On the last day, It's like me and the kids are all at the end of our ropes...i have less patience, snap at my DS and therefore he gets more cranky/whiny, the house is a total mess bc on the last day i am tired and figure DH can do stuff when he gets home...and i am just so impatient and am literally counting down the hours till he walks in the dor. so, yes, i totally get this feeling and i'm sure that was part of it too!

like today (DH left t his morning), i had an awesome day where the kids were totally good, i enjoyed being with them (was actually sad when i had to put them to bed) and i felt like i got stuff done even though i had no help. but i'm sure Friday (when DH comes back) i'll be in the sh*ttiest mood ever and the kids will be whiny and crying and i will have just.had.enough.... look out for a BP post coming from me that day...lol

bubbaray
08-31-2011, 11:34 PM
- I have no wine in the house.

And that, my friend, is a travesty. :54:

Green_Tea
08-31-2011, 11:44 PM
You guys have all made me feel much better. Thank you! :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

Tomorrow will be a better day. At the very least, I will be sure to buy wine ;).