PDA

View Full Version : Wallet question - where do you keep all your extra cards?

RedSuedeShoes
09-01-2011, 12:36 AM
I've mostly stopped carrying my big huge "mom" wallet because it's so heavy and bulky and most of the time I don't need it. I have a small change purse I fit my license, debit card, one credit card and a little cash in, and that's almost always enough. But sometimes I'll find myself without some critical card - health insurance, membership, punch cards, etc. I'd like to find a slim wallet-y thing that holds a bunch of cards...anyone know of something like this? Or is there some other solution you've come up with?

BabyDahl
09-01-2011, 12:44 AM
I have a really old yellow credit card holder, it snaps closed and I bought it was super cheap at Forever 21 (it's been years and somehow held up). I use that for all my assorted gift cards.
ETA: I can't find an image similar to it, but this site http://www.readymade.com/projects/scrap_leather_card_holderwallet shows how you can make one if have scrap leather. :)

kozachka
09-01-2011, 05:20 AM
I have way too many cards, there is probably no wallet out there that can hold them all and look decent. I just re-organized them yesterday, and I now have 3 stacks, held by small binder clips (http://www.staples.com/Staples-Small-Metal-Binder-Clips-3-4-size-with-3-8-Capacity/product_831594?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Shopping-_-Office_Supplies%3EBinder_Clips_Paper_Clips_%26_Pus h_Pins-_-831594-10667-CC&cid=CSE:GoogleBase:Office_Supplies:Binder_Clips_Pa per_Clips_%26_Push_Pins:831594:10667-CC), and credit cards and DL in a side pocket of my purse. Not pretty, but works. You can also download an app to your iPhone or iPod touch, and enter membership cards. I did it once and it worked Ok.

BeachBum
09-01-2011, 06:52 AM
I have two wallets. My "everyday" wallet that has more than you carry, but what I think of as essentials. I also keep my "gift card wallet" either in my big purse or if I'm using a small purse, in the console of my car. I use this
http://www.katespade.com/womens-wallets/credit-card-wallets/kate-spade-tudor-city-darla/PWRU2265,default,pd.html?dwvar_PWRU2265_color=001&start=30&cgid=wallets

I like it because I can fit paper gift cards in there not just plastic cards. There aren't really cc slots, but there are big spaces. I keep store credit cards and other rarely used cards in there.

WatchingThemGrow
09-01-2011, 07:00 AM
My gift card wallet is a purple leather/fake leather one that BBB suggested from Target a while back. It's long and skinny like a purse insert for credit cards. LOVE it. It was $10. Can't seem to find the link right now, but my guess is that they still carry them in the store.

MomToOne
09-01-2011, 09:07 AM
I keep my cards in a clutch in the glove compartment of my car since I'm most likely driving to the places I'll be using them.

karstmama
09-01-2011, 09:20 AM
i keep mine in a pink plastic dry box, sorta like...this...

http://www.amazon.com/SeaSucker-Small-Dry-Box/dp/B004Y021Y0

but thinner.

LD92599
09-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm curious too what others use because i can never seem to find the card I need quickly. I do keep my most used cards though in a Vera Bradley zippered key holder - i keep my 3 most used credit cards, license, medical insurance, AAA, Costco, BJs...there's quite a few "most used cards"

I have a longer Vera case that i keep my checkbook in, fast food coupons from Entertainment Book, etc...plus a few singles just in case...and i keep much less used cards in there too.

The store loyalty cards i keep all on one keyring, i love that a majority of stores these days have the keychain cards.

RedSuedeShoes
09-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Thanks, everyone. Lots of good ideas to mull over. As I read through them, I remembered someone saying they keep their extra cards in the car in a plastic travel box meant for a bar of soap. I put mine in one, and they filled it right up. I'll do that for now, until I figure something else out.

WatchingThemGrow, how long is that one from Target? I really want to order a smaller purse, but the one I'm looking it is very small (Sherpani Zoom, Amazon says 9.4 inches long). Just wondering if it would fit in there.

bigpassport
09-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Timely thread for me. I just moved my stack of gift cards from my purse to my console, and took all the non-daily use cards out of my wallet, put a rubber band around them and dropped them in the bottom of my purse. I am NOT a purse person and dislike the extra bulk and weight of wallets, so I'm going with the rubber band for now.