PDA

View Full Version : 16 month old non-sleeper+ CIO= BAD idea :( (advice?)

todzwife
09-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Z was an amazing sleeper from the time I brought her home from the hospital. I got 4 hours of sleep at at time once my milk came in, and at 6 weeks she was sleeping 6-8 hours at night. It was incredible and I knew it wouldn't last. Fast forward to 8 months when she outgrew the woombie and the Fisher Price rock and play sleeper and we transitioned her to the pack and play (with softer mattress than the thing that comes with it). She started waking up...more and more. I thought it was probably teeth. Every now and again, I get 8 hours, but for the most part she wakes up after 4-5. And lately, it's been REALLY bad where I'll nurse her, she turns over in my lap, I pat her back until she falls asleep and try to lay her down (I wait until she's floppy) and she wakes up immediately.

So tonight I decided just to walk out and let her cry. Big mistake. In less than 5 minutes, she was SO worked up, she threw up all over her bed and the floor. She was ANGRY. It was AWFUL! I bathed her while DH cleaned up and he asked me not to try that again.

Neither of my other 2 responded well to CIO either, and we ended up sort of co-sleeping after that 3-4AM waking. It wasn't the best situation, but it was more restful than a screaming, puking baby.

Does anyone have any other advice or am I destined to have a sweaty little bed hog for the next few years?

m448
09-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Snuggle that sweaty little bed hog and enjoy your rest. We've had four go through our bed and we did not set out to be cosleepers. However my first had other plans and after a while of setting down motion-sensor baby only to have him wake up wailing 5 minutes later our family credo became "sleep by any means necessary" For us that was cosleeping.

Roll with the punches and get your rest.

wendibird22
09-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Well DD2 who is 21mo sometimes ends up in my bed around 5am so I agree that if snuggling works, stick with it. We've also had luck lying on the floor in her room. DH or I will lie her back down, pat her back and then lay on the floor next to her for a few minutes then creep out the door. She likes to hold our hand so she'll stick her arm out the crib and say "hand!" and we'll lie on the floor holding her hand. We've been able to walk out of the room while she's still awake and she doesn't fuss.