PDA

View Full Version : Stink Bugs Professional Exterminator or Not

plusbellelavie
09-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Last year when we moved here we didn't know what stink bugs were until they invaded our home and annoyed us throughout the winter!

DH hates them will avoid them like a stinky diaper change! So it was up to me to deal with them last year and because we had unfortunately left screens open in "high" season when we didn't know what they were we ended up with a lot inside for the winter!

So this year I would like to take measures to at least reduce the number we get inside the house! KWIM?

Yesterday I had an exterminator out to give an estimate and I found it expensive but DH is willing to do it if it is "worth" it! The salesman told me they had a 95% success rate with clients using their method meaning a significant reduction of stink bugs in the home in comparison to previous years and in many cases 0 in the home after treatment.

Their service would be to "fog" the attic and then seal all possible entry ways for the stink bugs to enter the home and then spray the sides of the house. BTW they can not "fog" the attic and just do the outside spray and seal the entry ways and it would cost $50 less.

They have to do the procedure anywhere between August 15 to Sept 30 for it to be effective for the "season".

I am highly aware that they will be using chemicals and have been "debating" with myself if this is a route I want to take or not or continue with other methods (spraying them with soap/water solution, flushing them, vacumming them etc) even though the stench is horrid!

So has anyone gone with a professional exterminator for these bugs? Would you recommend it? Pros/cons.....IF you don't use a professional exterminator what methods have you found useful to reduce the amount that get in your home (other closing screen doors etc).

Thanks

chlobo
09-01-2011, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't. The chemicals would be a deal killer for me. I think that the pest would have to be a lot more bothersome than a stink bug.

What does your DH object to? We just find them and throw them out.

TwinFoxes
09-01-2011, 08:11 AM
I wouldn't. The chemicals would be a deal killer for me. I think that the pest would have to be a lot more bothersome than a stink bug.

:yeahthat: Also, despite what the pest control company says, pesticides aren't all that effective on stinkbugs.

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/stinkbug/control.asp

SnuggleBuggles
09-01-2011, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't. I don't think that there is truly a pesticide that works, like pp said. They are just a nuisance I'd just ignore them.

Beth

plusbellelavie
09-01-2011, 08:42 AM
DH hates that they stink when you flush em, squash em, or vacumum up!

Last year granted it was in huge part our fault for letting the screen door open on too many occasion but they got in other ways as well...the chimney and vents etc.. We are all a lot better at making sure the screens are closed so that should hopefully help a lot this year.

We live in an area according to the information the sales guy and our neighbors who have been here for years gathered one of the worse because of the proximity to PA, the river, and the wind patterns...our neighbors say that each year the invasion gets worse not better! So we are not talking about 10 to 15 we are talking more like hundreds on the house and in the garden and in the house in the "peak" seaon. It is creepy even if they don't do anything in the house except fly around, be a nuisance and stink if you catch them...outside the damage to some of the plants is sad. We are actually in the process of having landscape redone around our house due to the damage.

So I guess we were hoping a chemical spray would help us save our investment a bit and reduce the bugs so we were not constantly dealing with them.

I will let DH know that it is mostly a "Nos" on BBB!

BabyBearsMom
09-01-2011, 08:57 AM
My in-laws have stink bugs and they had several exterminators come out. It was worthless. They still come back. The way my MIL finally got rid of them was to completely remodel her house (she was remodeling anyway, not because of the bugs). The entire inside was stripped down to the studs and they found thousands under the drywall. Once they cleared them all out, they stopped getting them.

maestramommy
09-01-2011, 09:30 AM
My in-laws have stink bugs and they had several exterminators come out. It was worthless. They still come back. The way my MIL finally got rid of them was to completely remodel her house (she was remodeling anyway, not because of the bugs). The entire inside was stripped down to the studs and they found thousands under the drywall. Once they cleared them all out, they stopped getting them.

omg, this is making me shudder.

Mikey0709
09-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Same answer here (i'm also in PA) - -i was also told treatments are worthless... only way to keep them out is to SEAL your home. Spring and fall are the WORST for us... so the minute it starts getting cooler air conditioners come out and i close windows more than i care too.

I have had them for about 6-7 years now... and HATE them...though i have to say it feel like they have decreased over the years.

Also heard they are apparently working on a way to get rid of them.... but it involved a MOTH that eat their eggs. UGH - i'm not sure about solving one bug problem with a NEWLY bred bug.....

TwinFoxes
09-01-2011, 12:13 PM
omg, this is making me shudder.

:yeahthat:

OP, if the pesticides worked I could see how you'd be tempted, but everything I've seen (well, at least from someone not selling something) says it's ineffective. Good luck, we only have a small problem, nothing like what it sounds like you're dealing with.

bubbaray
09-01-2011, 12:41 PM
The entire inside was stripped down to the studs and they found thousands under the drywall.

I don't even know what a stinkbug is, but this made me :barf:

eagle
09-01-2011, 04:08 PM
The entire inside was stripped down to the studs and they found thousands under the drywall. Once they cleared them all out, they stopped getting them.

gawd, that is so gross and disgusting. i hate BUGS! and stinkbugs are awful. i know they are 'just' a nuisance, not bad like cockroaches or mosquitoes or fleas, but theyre huge and they stink!