PDA

View Full Version : Calling twin moms. Need gift advice for identical twins

HIU8
09-01-2011, 09:59 AM
DS is invited to a party for a set of identical twins. He went to school with one twin last year and is with the other twin this year. So, we are obviously getting 2 gifts. HOWEVER, in your opinion, do you think identical gifts is in order? I have to ask the mom whether it will be a disaster or not if we get 2 different gifts or whether they do need to be exactly the same. Just wanted some opinions here first. FWIW, the boys are turning 6.

bubbaray
09-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Not a twin mom, but *I* would get toys that could be played with together, but weren't identical. Like 2 different Lego sets. Or 2 different Board games.

The other option would be to call the mom and ask what each boy would like.

ABO Mama
09-01-2011, 11:15 AM
We have twin DS's, and would not want identical gifts. When we do get identical gifts, one goes into the gift closet, because we really only need one. Occasionally, we do need 2 of one toy, but the norm is that they switch off with the toys. It's quite silly when we are given 2 of the same book. Different books, games, toys, are much better.

HIU8
09-01-2011, 12:03 PM
I needed to ask this b/c we have neighbors with twins and they MUST have identical items or life is hell in the house.

ABO Mama
09-01-2011, 12:21 PM
I would ask the mom what her preference is then...same gift or different gift, and what the boys are interested in.

HIU8
09-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks. I did email her and I'm waiting to hear.

twowhat?
09-01-2011, 12:42 PM
I'd ask. Ours are younger so this will probably change as they get older and is probably also dependent on the kids themselves but we have asked for identical toys. Just ONE less thing to fight over helps me out a lot. I can see this dynamic changing though as I try to encourage the girls to share so for this bday I'll probably say they don't have to be identical...

fivi2
09-01-2011, 01:04 PM
When younger we preferred identical. Now it usually is not a problem. I do prefer similar gifts, though.

TwinFoxes
09-01-2011, 01:41 PM
I needed to ask this b/c we have neighbors with twins and they MUST have identical items or life is hell in the house.

Are they younger? My DDs used to automatically decide that one is the "better" one, and whoever got the "worst" one had a hissy. They're getting better and better about that though (toy timeout works wonders). Anyway, I'd just wait to ask the mom, but I think in general as kids get older they're fine with, and even appreciate getting non-identical toys.