PDA

View Full Version : Outside activities for your 4 & 6 year old DSs?

hillview
09-01-2011, 01:23 PM
My boys are 4 and 6 years old. They start school next week and will be in school 8-3 pm. DS1 does chess after school once a week. DS1 will also see an OT once a week and might do a tutor (for like 30 mins) 3x a week after school.

I signed both boys up for gymnastics on Saturday for 45 mins a week in the morning.

What other activities do your kids participate in?

I've looked into hockey (doesn't start til Nov). Basketball (can't find anything). Soccer (we are too late).

Other ideas? I am thinking maybe something on Sunday that would burn off some energy?

TIA
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
09-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Karate and swimming have been in our rotations before along with soccer and gymnastics.

Beth

egoldber
09-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Honestly, I think that's enough right now. He's also transitioning to elementary from preschool and that can be a big adjustment for many kids. I would wait until January and then look around for other activities for him.

hellokitty
09-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Ds1 is in cub scouts again this yr and I'm going to sign both of them up for martial arts. I want something that won't get canceled due to bad weather or something that means we are sweltering in heat outside or freezing our butts off. The library has a new monthly lego build that I want my boys to do. I'd also like them to start piano, but feel like that would be too much. I might just teach them piano on my own casually and wait another yr befor formal lessons.

Kindra178
09-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Swimming. Our y has basketball all year round. Tennis.

ThreeofUs
09-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Baseball and swimming.

We also do piano and are trying to find aikido.

hillview
09-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Honestly, I think that's enough right now. He's also transitioning to elementary from preschool and that can be a big adjustment for many kids. I would wait until January and then look around for other activities for him.

Yeah I was also thinking this. Thanks!

fivi2
09-01-2011, 06:58 PM
We just started K and are doing gymnastics 1x a week right now. We might add girl scouts, but not sure. We also might add soccer in the spring (or trade soccer for gymnastics) but we are waiting to see how it goes.

So, I think you are doing enough!

jren
09-01-2011, 08:40 PM
My DD is a little older, 2nd grade, but she has one "real" activity a week. That is gymnastics, her choice. But she also has math tutoring once a week, and just finished weekly OT this week. Even though I don't consider OT and tutoring real activities, it does take time and is another after school commitment. Three days a week after school was WAY to much. Two days a week M/W seems to be about right for her at this age (and one of those is math tutoring where she's doing her math homework during the hour). All the rest of the time is spent outside playing with the neighborhood kids. Weekends are reserved for family time for now at least.

new_mommy25
09-02-2011, 01:35 PM
At 4 DS did ballet for a year. At 5 he did spring and summer baseball. At 6 he started soccer and was officially hooked. We are onto our second year of soccer. He started karate at 7 so he now does karate and soccer. He also did a year of jiu-jitsu at 7 but we just stopped last month because it was too crazy doing three sports. DS catches the bus home and his bus doesn't leave for an hour after school ends so I signed him up for chess club and idance (hiphop I think?) through his school. Both of those are once a week.

At 4 DD played a season of soccer and wasn't too keen on it. She also did ballet but after about 3-4 lessons didn't want to go anymore. She is five now and does karate with DS. She is happy there because her brother and cousin go. One activity is enough for her. She is different from DS who wants and doesn't have a problem doing lots of different sports. I also just signed her up for clay fun at the parks and rec. It's one day a week for an hour and was free. :)