PDA

View Full Version : Favorite inexpensive everyday wine suggestions?

daisymommy
09-01-2011, 04:21 PM
I need your favorite, inexpensive, easy to find wine suggestions. Red preferably.

I don't like wine, so I have no clue on the subject.
But DH is coming home tonight, from a week of traveling, and I would like to have a nice treat for him to come home to and unwind with. He likes red wine. This will be at night, not paired with dinner.

Thanks!

P.S. I guess while you're at at, hit me with any white suggestions that you like, so I can keep the names on file.

mezzona
09-01-2011, 04:25 PM
we don't do everyday, but when we do have some, we like mondavi cabernet from costco. <$20.

SnuggleBuggles
09-01-2011, 04:25 PM
The Coppola Diamond collection ones have always been pretty decent (I've only tried the reds).

Beth

JBaxter
09-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Im a white wine drinker but this is the best boxed wine EVER...Peter Vella Chardonnay

elbenn
09-01-2011, 04:39 PM
When I'm looking for an inexpensive red wine, I often just go by price/point ratio. For example, sometimes you can find a $12 wine with a 90 point score from Robert Parker or Wine Spectator. You don't need to read Wine Spectator before you go, just look at the little tags by the wine bins. California wines tend to be higher priced for what you get, and Spanish wines tend to be a good value. Having said that, I am going to recommend a California red that I've always found pretty good--J. Lohr cabernet from Paso Robles. As for whites, I love Sauvignon Blancs from the Marlborough region of New Zealand (there are usually several selections of these in a wine department). SBs are fairly acidic and crisp and usually have tropical notes. For a specific brand, Kim Crawford is good.

mackmama
09-01-2011, 04:47 PM
For white - I like Kim Crawford or La Crema.

emily
09-01-2011, 05:00 PM
When I'm looking for an inexpensive red wine, I often just go by price/point ratio. For example, sometimes you can find a $12 wine with a 90 point score from Robert Parker or Wine Spectator. You don't need to read Wine Spectator before you go, just look at the little tags by the wine bins. California wines tend to be higher priced for what you get, and Spanish wines tend to be a good value. Having said that, I am going to recommend a California red that I've always found pretty good--J. Lohr cabernet from Paso Robles. As for whites, I love Sauvignon Blancs from the Marlborough region of New Zealand (there are usually several selections of these in a wine department). SBs are fairly acidic and crisp and usually have tropical notes. For a specific brand, Kim Crawford is good.

I second the j. Lohr recommendation. We buy it by the case.

wendibird22
09-01-2011, 05:02 PM
We enjoy Yellow Tail. They make a nice shiraz and sauvignon blanc.

brittone2
09-01-2011, 05:08 PM
2 buck chuck (the chardonnay...I hate oakey chard so this works for me).
:bag

That is our every day wine...if we are hanging out at home having a glass in the evening, that's what we drink. I like it as much as any of the other 10-20 dollar bottles we buy, so that's what we drink.

We do upgrade when we are entertaining ;)

I live in a state now where I can't buy it, but we pick up a case or have my parents pick up a case when they visit.

daisymommy
09-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks everyone!
You've gotta love Target. I picked up the j.Lohr wine and "sleep wear" ;) all in the same place.

Twoboos
09-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks everyone!
You've gotta love Target. I picked up the j.Lohr wine and "sleep wear" ;) all in the same place.

Wait just a minute here... are you saying your Target sells WINE?!? I want one like THAT! :D

And I like the J. Lohr, too!

smiles33
09-01-2011, 07:07 PM
DH likes Bogle's Zinfandel, which is only $7.99 at Costco. The other Zins he likes are MUCH more expensive (like $30+).

eh613c
09-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I like St. Michelle cab from TJs.

boolady
09-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Some of our favorite inexpensive wines are from Dr. Konstantin Frank's Salmon Run line. Coho Red is a red table wine; for being a blended wine, it's really tasty and versatile. DH knows his wine and thinks it's good for a $7 bottle, and some very wine snobby family members have had it and then asked what they were drinking because they liked it so much. The rest of the Salmon Run line is very good, too.

They're from the NY Finger Lakes Region...his Dr. Konstantin Frank line, which is a bit more expensive, has some great wines.

sweetsue98
09-01-2011, 08:55 PM
It depends on what you define as inexpensive. A Cabernet I love is Louis Martini and it's around $15-$18. If you are looking for something less Trader Joes has some great wine for under $10.

Jen841
09-01-2011, 09:20 PM
@ $10-12 a bottle. We also like Ravenwood Zin for $10-15. I buy recommendations from the store staff all the time. Syrah and Zin are our favs.

ECUPirateMom
09-01-2011, 09:32 PM
I am not a wine drinker but I do love "Yellow Tail Moscato"... its pretty fruity and sweet though. Oh and you can usually find the large double bottles at BJs, Sams, or Costco for $9.

AbbysMom
09-01-2011, 09:40 PM
I also really like Yellow Tail. I drink Cabernet.

When I feel like "splurging," I buy "Layer Cake" Shiraz. I actually don't usually like Shiraz but I love Layer Cake. it's $15.99.

okinawama
09-01-2011, 10:25 PM
I really like Yellow Tail Merlot and Robert Mondavi Merlot

lyt202
09-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Costco is great for inexpensive but good every day wine. We stock up on Penfolds Koonunga Hill, a shiraz-cab blend that is about $8. Cline Zinfandel is also good and under $10.

JMS
09-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Sorry to hijack but I am very envious of your girls who live in states where Target, TJs and Costco sell WINE!!!!!! "Whine!"

BTW, I love Organic Wine Works' Maverick Merlot (organic = no sulfites = no headache). For a price comparison it's about $13.99 in PA but you can pick it up in NJ for about $10.99.

Jo..
09-02-2011, 08:24 AM
I only like Chardonnays, and for inexpensive ones (at the $10-$15 price range) have really liked Kendall Jackson and Little Penguin.

For REALLY cheap wine for a crowd of close friends you aren't worried about impressing, buy a box of Peter Vella Chardonnay :wink2:. It's surprisingly good for a box, and has won taste awards. Plus the bag collapses as the wine is removed, so there is less air, and it stays fresh for a looong time. My neighbors had an open box in their fridge for something like three months, and just had a glass here and there. It's the price equivalent of $2-$3 per bottle.

daisymommy
09-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Yes, my Target has a double isle of wine! (walk down the isle, and wine is on both the left and right hand side of you).
Unfortunately TJ's was 30 minutes away, and Costco was in the opposite direction of everything else. So Target it was! (because I knew I could pick up other things I needed).

As it was, DH's flight was delayed, and he didn't get home until nearly midnight. He laid his head in my lap and feel asleep. Poor guy. But he was very touched and impressed that I went out of my way to pick up wine for him, and researched what was good.
There's always the weekend!

Thanks gals! I'm saving this list!

ladysoapmaker
09-02-2011, 09:35 AM
I've fallen in love with the Barefoot Wines.

So far none of the flavors I've tried have failed to taste good.

Here in my area I can generall get a bottle for about $6.99.

Jen

maestramommy
09-02-2011, 03:06 PM
I really like Fetzer. it's friendly in white or red. I usually buy it when it's around 6.99, but I've seen it as high as 10.99.

The barefoot wines are pretty good too, but Fetzer is definitely my favorite. I have dh's cousin to thank for introducing us to it!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-03-2011, 01:54 AM
Lindemans wines are always good. Cost Plus World Market has good deals, too.

trales
09-03-2011, 09:47 AM
For you NH folks Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays are on sale at the State Liquor Store.
A case of Rex Goliath Pinot comes out to be about $76. Ask me how I know.

hellokitty
09-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Keep in mind I'm a newbie to wine. I don't like red wine, but have discovered that white wine is drinkable. I discovered sutter home moscato about a month ago. It's only $6 for a 750 ml bottle and light and fruity. My dh likes it too.