PDA

View Full Version : Funtainer and hot food - noodles specifically

EllasMum
09-01-2011, 08:01 PM
I just bought DD a Funtainer (after driving across half the city trying to find the Barbie one she had her heart set on) and DD has announced she wants noodles in it for tomorrow's lunch. So, I have seen, in various threads, to pour boiling water into the Funtainer to heat it up before putting the food in, which I will do. Here is my question - with regards to noodles (the thin kind that you get in chicken noodle soup), should I undercook them since they will sit in the container and soften up through the morning? I'm just worried they'll get mushy by lunch... Any tips/suggestions re: general Funtainer use are most welcome. ;)

TIA!

infomama
09-01-2011, 08:26 PM
I just cook them "normally" and put them in the thermos after letting the boiling water sit for a few minutes (lid on...not sure if that matters).
No complaints.

alien_host
09-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Unless the noodles are in liquid (like a soup) then I don't think you need to cook them differently.

Here's a question:

So where does your kiddo keep the funtainer? If I send the funtainer w/ warm food I don't want an icepack with the other lunch stuff....so it seems like I can't send fresh fruit since it would spoil - DD likes apples and stuff precut. Any thoughts on keeping it separate from the rest of the lunch?

infomama
09-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Here's a question:

So where does your kiddo keep the funtainer? If I send the funtainer w/ warm food I don't want an icepack with the other lunch stuff....so it seems like I can't send fresh fruit since it would spoil - DD likes apples and stuff precut. Any thoughts on keeping it separate from the rest of the lunch?
When lunch is in the thermos we usually adjust the rest of the meal so there is no need for an icepack. Once we sent a hot/cold combo in an LL Bean lunchbag and it worked fine. DD bought milk at school, thermos went in the domed lidded portion of the lunchbag, ice pack in the bottom and cold stuff on top of that.

EllasMum
09-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Good to know - DD just wants the noodles (no soup) and I usually thrown on a little margarine, so we should be ok.

I hadn't thought about the ice pack issue that a PP brought up! I guess I will do as suggested and just send other stuff that doesn't need refrigeration. I think it should work out. DD can live with slightly warm apple juice. ;)

bubbaray
09-01-2011, 11:56 PM
I heat it as I would normally, maybe on the hotter side. I don't worry about mush, just heat. They never complain

On days I sent the thermos/hot lunch, I don't send foods that need an icepack.

s7714
09-02-2011, 12:19 AM
I cook them normal, as if they were going to be eaten right then and there. I put the container in one part of their lunchbox while the ice pack and cold stuff goes in a different compartment.