PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Reno cost?

Twoboos
09-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Yah, this probably isn't as straight forward as the finishing the basement cost. But maybe a general idea? Current kitchen is original about 20yrs old, white cabinets, white solid surface countertops, white tile backsplash... very sterile looking!

Kitchen is approx 15x15, cabinets are at a right angle on two walls. There is an island that is diagonal, which I love. Island has granite that I like but would probably not reuse, I think we would go with different color scheme.

Probably not changing the footprint at all - except for moving either the double ovens OR fridge. Right now they are right next to each other and this makes me crazy. Heat by cold - bad idea IMO.

We would probably go middle-to-low-high quality wise. It has some young stainless Bosch appliances (dwasher, micro) that we could reuse. Ovens and fridge have to go. Would likely do granite.

When people say "Custom cabinets" do they really mean they were made just for them?? Cuz I don't think we'd do custom. We're not THAT picky. Well, I hope we're not. :wink2:

Everything in my ideabook on houzz looks THE SAME so I feel like I have a look in mind! :)

BeachBum
09-01-2011, 09:13 PM
take whatever you want to spend and double it. seriously.

I think the rule of thumb is 10-15% of the value of your home. For me that estimate was a bit high.

I've redone 2 kitchens in the past 4 years (unexpected move). Both times I spent about $50K. It's so hard to put a qualifier on how "nice"... I would say med/high? Not luxury, but a lot of custom touches. No structural work, and very little electrical work, no plumbing work either time (kept footprint).

Elilly
09-01-2011, 09:34 PM
We just received our final costs. New custom shaker cabs for 14k. Soapstone for 4k. New fridge, wall oven, and over the range micro is 5k. We still have a new window, tiled backsplash, faucet, lighting etc. I am figuring we'll end up at about 35k.

crl
09-01-2011, 09:38 PM
We gutted ours, all the way down to the studs, and took down a wall. We spent about $50,000 in NoVa four or five years ago. (Unexpected electrical work upped that tab from our initial estimate of $40,000 or so.)

A huge chunk of the costs are kitchen cabinets. We used Ikea and LOVED them. They are extremely functional, at the time came with a 25 year warranty, and got lots of compliments when we sold the house (in the $700,000s so not a cheap house). And the ikea cabinets were significantly cheaper than the alternatives we considered.

We went with mid of the road appliances, cheap subway tile backsplash, cork flooring (a mid price range option), and inexpensive counters and pulls, etc. Our splurges were LED lighting, an advantium oven and copper pot racks.

Catherine