PDA

View Full Version : Can I paint a tile backsplash?

Twoboos
09-01-2011, 09:07 PM
We're moving in a couple of months and the current kitchen is original - about 20yrs old, white cabinets, white solid surface countertops, white tile backsplash... very sterile looking!

I didn't realize the backsplash was tile so just thought I could paint it and warm things up a bit. Can I paint over tile?

A complete renovation will happen in the future so I don't really want to spend any more time/money than just paint if I can get away with it.

Whaddaya think??

katydid1971
09-01-2011, 09:38 PM
I really don't think painting it would work very well but removing a tile back splash and replacing it wouldn't be too hard or expensive.

crl
09-01-2011, 09:57 PM
You might be able to do something like adhere beadboard over it. You could check the kitchen forums at gardenweb for suggestions.

Catherine

trcy
09-01-2011, 11:11 PM
I don't think regular paint would work. I have heard of tile paint, but have no experience with it. You may want to check with a home improvement store.

kristenk
09-01-2011, 11:28 PM
I was going to answer, "No, you can't" but then I remembered that my mom did something like that. It was after I had moved out, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details. My mom and stepdad renovated the kitchen. Mom didn't like the way the tile backsplash looked, so she used some sort of glaze or paint to adjust the color a little. She started out with a fairly mottled-looking tile, so I think she just sponged color on in spots. I think it would be harder with a white tile. I can ask if she remembers what kind of paint she used, if you'd like.

Neatfreak
09-01-2011, 11:30 PM
The first house we bought featured tile that had been painted yellow in the kitchen. I guess it looked okay from a distance, but up close, it was easy to tell that it was painted (probably with regular latex).

twowhat?
09-01-2011, 11:34 PM
What about just adding color with accessories? A fire engine red KitchenAid stand mixer would look FABULOUS in an all-white kitchen:)

ohiomom1121
09-02-2011, 12:09 AM
We did it in our last house. Used Bullseye primer and high gloss latex paint. It was supposed to be a temporary fix but held up great and we never ended up changing it. It lasted probably 8 years and was fine when we left it.